MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Have we forgotten that Hank is a troll?  Stop responding.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 01, 2020, 11:35:24 AM
Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on March 01, 2020, 12:30:03 AM
Well that is pretty wild rumors. So much so, I had to call my son at 12:30am to let him know about them.

Having grown with the Wright's (Jay babysat us and Derek is one of my best friends to this day), I'm in a decent position to comment on these "rumors". Jay has felt the tug a few times, but he is "King" at Nova and has a job for life (talk to Nick Saban about the grass being greener). He is a College Hall of Fame level basketball coach. If given the choice between staying at Nova, going to the 76ers or Knicks..............here is the order:

1. Stay at Nova
2. 76ers
3. Knicks

Now, if Crazy Dolan throws enough money (and stock) at him.........who knows. But it is a family decision and he loves life on our beautiful Main Line. New York is fun to visit, but to live........give me the Main Line any day of the week.

Also, Landry is about 8th in line out of 7 potential replacement candidates. That part is complete phooey................unless the first seven were to all turn the opportunity down.

I could tell you right now and right here who Nova's next coach (if he were to depart after this season), as well as who has been tabbed to take over for the legend himself, the Shot Doctor, my man Herbie Magee, at Jefferson University. I won't....................because Kate (his daughter, not the poster from the MAC board) would kill me!! ;)

I remember seeing Herb play in the Eastern Pro League. Also, seeing memorable playoff games between Textile and Scranton in the late '60s/early 70s when both had excellent teams. 

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 01, 2020, 11:38:40 AM

Have we forgotten that Hank is a troll?  Stop responding.

Will do. My bad!! :)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: ronk on March 01, 2020, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 01, 2020, 11:35:24 AM
Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on March 01, 2020, 12:30:03 AM
Well that is pretty wild rumors. So much so, I had to call my son at 12:30am to let him know about them.

Having grown with the Wright's (Jay babysat us and Derek is one of my best friends to this day), I'm in a decent position to comment on these "rumors". Jay has felt the tug a few times, but he is "King" at Nova and has a job for life (talk to Nick Saban about the grass being greener). He is a College Hall of Fame level basketball coach. If given the choice between staying at Nova, going to the 76ers or Knicks..............here is the order:

1. Stay at Nova
2. 76ers
3. Knicks

Now, if Crazy Dolan throws enough money (and stock) at him.........who knows. But it is a family decision and he loves life on our beautiful Main Line. New York is fun to visit, but to live........give me the Main Line any day of the week.

Also, Landry is about 8th in line out of 7 potential replacement candidates. That part is complete phooey................unless the first seven were to all turn the opportunity down.

I could tell you right now and right here who Nova's next coach (if he were to depart after this season), as well as who has been tabbed to take over for the legend himself, the Shot Doctor, my man Herbie Magee, at Jefferson University. I won't....................because Kate (his daughter, not the poster from the MAC board) would kill me!! ;)

I remember seeing Herb play in the Eastern Pro League. Also, seeing memorable playoff games between Textile and Scranton in the late '60s/early 70s when both had excellent teams.

Those Textile teams were fun. I remember as a kid when Gannon cane to town. Textile had a player by the name of Em 'The Gem" Sammons (or something like that). I think that he was drafted way back when the draft was much longer. I do remember the Textile vs. Scranton games as well. They were awesome!!

I saw Herbie last summer, at a camp in the Poconos (Five Star). He went 93 for 100 from the foul line. Amazing!!

Swat Fan #1

Congrats to Coach Josh Loeffler and the rest of the Hopkin's team on a fantastic win. Josh is a quality guy and if Swat couldn't win it, glad he did.

CCD3Basketball

Swat will still host a pod next weekend, no question. Depending on whose left, as long as they take care of business, I suspect they've got a good chance at hosting all the way until the Final Four also.

Same can be said for JHU; I think the win last night certainly helps their hosting cause. All depends on travel and matchups.

Also, Swat/JHU, Round 4 in the NCAA's. Who says no to that?
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

Pat Coleman

It's all the way to the Elite Eight this year.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

centfan

congrats to hopkins and coach loeffler on their win over swat.
loeffler is part of the younger generation of serious, able coaches in the centennial.
delaney came up big in a big game.
great game, great competition and wonderful for hopkins and their confidence to win the ncaa.

Corporal Hicks

Hoorah! *Corporal Hicks has entered the chat.....*

Though I have been absent from the blog in the last year, I have been following closely from distance.  You may all thank that troll, Hank for my return.  I can't just sit back here and watch as he tries to ravage my reputation.  I won't wow you with a long post in my first one back, I'll just ease my way back into this since my fingers will probably be sore from all these keyboard pokes. 

A couple things I'd like to discuss:

1.  Hank is completely unhinged- Your arch nemesis??  Someone who supported similar ideas so frequently? Landy(Centennial Brad Stevens) to Villanova?? Been following Nova for years now, and there are very few guys in a position like Jay's.  He could practically get away with murder if it were done on Lancaster Ave... The only place I see Jay going is back to his closet to put on another dapper suit.

2. The All Conference team is an atrocity.  I mean absolutely no disrespect to any of the players who made the team, just not how I would have done it.  I feel like they got first team pretty accurately.  Delaney for MVP seems right after the hurdles he needed to clear to get back out there this season, Odell and Schaffer aka "The Bruise Brothers" only seems right after the historical season, Gaines- who probably is the leagues best individual player(not hard to tell just watch a little) was a No-Brainer and he is also my early choice for MVP next season, lastly Turkson, best season for the Fords in a while and he was their best player. 

When you get to Second team is when it gets fishy- Here is the CC order for standings- Swat, Hopkins, Haverford, Muhlenberg, WaC, Ursinus, F&M, Gettysberg, Dickinson, McDaniel.

Here are the # of Representatives from each team- Swat-4, Hopkins-2, Fords-1,  Mules-1, WaC-2(LOL), Ursinus-2, F&M-1, Gettysberg-1, Dickinson-1, McDaniel- goose egg

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks of the teams for the season?

My issue is how do you look at teams who had seasons like the Fords and Mules(combined 8-0 vs WaC and Ursinus) and think that Ursinus and WaC should have 2 representatives and Dickinson and Gettysberg have 1 over another Mule or Ford.

Some Suggestions: Matt Gnias(previous 2 time rep)??? another Mule suggestion for at least honorable mention, Dallas Hoffman?? For the Fords Joe Wujciak? Just a name I'm throwing out there, Seemed like a guy who had a lot to do with their teams success.  CAREFUL folks when it comes to the game of basketball, there is a lot more to it than looking at strictly numbers....

Prediction-Guarantee Swat to final 4 this season and Hopkins to at least elite 8- Saw them each a bunch this season and both are very impressive/as well coached as anyone.

Hope to generate some good conversation in my return to posting- and AGAIN folks, please remember, Lets discuss sports in a positive manner.

The Cent is in good hands my friends.

Corp. Out

Pat Coleman

Who would you remove from the team to make room for those guys?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CCD3Basketball

A lot of the players he mentioned were Honorable Mention players and not even Second Team players like he claimed they were, so I don't put any stock into the post

I also like how he puts an (LOL) next to the WAC guys....neither one of which was on the second team, as he claims, by the way...when they both were pretty much the reason why the team made back to back postseason appearances for the first time in literally 20 years

But, I digress. Let's all just enjoy the tournament, shall we?
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Hicks is also a troll.  I suspect the same one as Hank.  Just ignore.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Corporal Hicks

Hoorah!

Pat- This was just my view on things, but I'd say of the 3 potential I mentioned, at least Gnias should be there.  I'd put him in place of one of the 4 representatives from Ursinus or WAC- preferably Brown from WAC or Hughes from UC.  Again, just looking to spark some good Cent talk here- not attacking any teams or players.  It was another enjoyable year of hoops this season.

"CCD3"- The logic you just displayed is the same exact argument I was making-  The Fords have been absent from the post season since around 2011 I believe?(someone fact check me on that going off top of my head) and the Mules since '14? so yes technically not as long of a drought as WAC, but are you going to ignore the same argument for the Mule/Ford players who contributed to their teams postseason birth + the fact that both teams swept the lesser WAC/UC.  We are talking about THIS season, not "All Back 2 Back Playoff Appearances Conference Teams".  Folks, imagine thinking of all conference teams and taking LAST season into account? I did enjoy your snarky reply nonetheless.

On a lighter note, I'm hearing rumblings out of Baltimore that the games at Hopkins will NOT be open to spectators? Can anyone confirm?  Was looking forward to heading over there this weekend

Corp. out

Swat Fan #1

What is everyone's opinion of shutting down the Hopkin's gym to spectators? If they wanted to do this, then let some other college host it. I can't imagine being a parent and not being able to see my kid play in the NCAA's. Just doesn't seem right.

SpringSt7