MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbald eagle

Quote from: kitchenrat on January 17, 2006, 10:03:41 AM
Should I drive or take the Metro?
It may depend on where you are coming from. 
Traffic can be bad in D.C.
It's a doable but pretty long hike from the Metro stop to DuFour; hope for no rain/snow and a ride back to the Metro stop afterwards.

The York 06

I dont understand everyone's deal.  First of all d-mac let go of the history it means nothing.  If you really want to look at history lets look at final four trips. York and Catholic both have and Catholic won when they went.  Everyone else nada.  So to say i have no clue is redic.  I'm not talking trash i am simply stating no one should really talk about the conference being a tight conference until one of the two teams york plays this week beats them.  Yes i know they do have a lose, but i think it is good to have a lose, since then look at York's margin of victory each game.  They are playing with a different type of intensity.  These kids are focused.  And to kitchen rat i was there at every home game when they struggled in 03-04.  So to say i am a bandwagon fan is redic.  I really expect york to win both this week, how can you not?  Tomorrow is a big test for them.  Good teams win on the road so i guess we will see how good they are.

Matt Letourneau

Well, I just got back from Los Angeles on a red eye flight.  Glad to see a lot of action on the board.

Well, I appreciate York 06's providing excellent bulletin board material for Catholic.  I know, though, that he doesn't speak for most York fans and those associated with the program.  I saw Coach Gamber at DuFour myself scouting the Cardinals, I know he's probably hard at work on a gameplan.  There is no question that right now York is at the top of the league.  York will come into DC tomorrow night as a solid favorite.  But there is certainly evidence that Catholic can give York a good game or even beat them---last year's CAC final was a close game until the last two minutes or so.  York is pretty much the same (excellent) team since them...Catholic is significantly better than they were last year.  And this game is at DuFour.

D-Mac has sort of inadvertantly made the point I've made over the years here.  He's defended Goucher (and rightly so) by point out that any team can have a bad year, but that Goucher has been consistantly competitive.  I've always said that what makes Catholic special is that they simply don't have 'bad years.'  The last year they were even mediocre was 1996-1997.  They've won 20 or more games now for 8 years in a row, and headed toward a 9th this year.   Yes, they haven't always won the league during that stretch, but they've easily been the most consistent team in the CAC.  Other teams rise and fall to challenge Catholic--since I've been around its been Goucher, Marymount, Mary Washington and now York, and sometimes they even suceed, but year in, year out, Catholic is at the top.  We CUA fans are proud of that--it has not been easy, especially because of the situation D-Mac alluded to when he talked about Goucher and CUA leaving the league.

Now, my pep talk aside, I wouldn't expect CUA to be in Top 25 consideration at this point.  Doesn't mean they aren't a good team, doesn't mean they aren't going to get there, but...the Susquehanna loss killed that.  Basically, they are a 11-2 team (excluding the Davidson loss), with both losses on the road.  They've got a chance to make up for the first loss, at least, since they get another crack at Mary Wash.  The Susquehanna loss is hard to explain, other than that Susquehanna is better than their record would indicate and it was the first game after a long layover.  And hey, York lost at Salisbury--these things happen.

I was pleased to see that the Cardinals won both games this past week easily.  I think things are back on track.  Nice to see Matt Spirenberg take advantage of starting again and contributing.  The Cards are now 4-0 since Sean Stolzenthaler has been starting.

I see that Goucher had 2 tech's--what happened?

KitchenRat--where exactly are you coming from? In general, you don't want to be driving to DC during rush hour.  I wouldn't shy away from Metro--it really isn't THAT far from the Metro stop to DuFour, and there is a shuttle bus that stops at the Metro station if you catch it.  Plus, you can't get lost--just take a right out of the Metro Station and walk straight down the street.  You'll see a big building on the left--that's the CUA Law School--and then some dorms (Millenium North/South and Flather).  Go under the bridge, and you'll see the DuFour Center ahead.

Matt Letourneau

New Massey Ratings for CAC Teams:

26.  York  SOS: 142
67. Catholic SOS: 146
107. Mary Washington SOS: 159
147. Salisbury SOS: 211
182. St. Mary's SOS: 90
215. Marymount SOS: 222
254. Gallaudet SOS: 319
375. Goucher SOS: 109

Overall, the CAC is ranked 25th out of 60 (though its a hodge-podge mix).  The ODAC, for the record, is 30th.  Amen, mlb...

The 9th biggest upset of the year was Susquehanna beating Catholic, the 10th was Salisbury beating York.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Somewhat surprising that the ODAC is 30th and the CAC is 25th... especially considering the type of teams the ODAC plays compared to the CAC... but heck... let them come out with the SOS and we can argue for days :).

Matt - as for the tech's... both on Coach Trevino. To be honest, I think he was very heated over some very questionable officiating. Both teams didn't get much of a fair shake, though they seemed to be calling a much tighter game on Goucher than CUA. However, that said, Goucher was also trying their best to stay in the game and I think committed a few too many stupid fouls.

Anyway, Trevino got nailed by "Gene" both times, it both halves, the final one coming with less than a minute left in the game (I think). He had been trying for about five minutes of game time to get that final tech (I think).

Times are tough at GOU and I think it showed in that game. A lot of frustration on the Gophers bench and on the court. And I might mention, the CUA team certainly looked a bit surprised to see GOU in that condition. Don't look for the Gophers to make any miracle runs... this is simply not their season.

York 06 - amazing how you come on here talking smack now that your team has been to a Final Four (though many argue, through one of the easiest brackets in years) and are playing well now. Why didn't you come on here during those 6-20 years? Just understand, no one is knocking the Spartans... but no one is going to hand them the crown and put them in the Final Four today.

York has a tough road ahead:
- of the 11 games remaining... 7 are away.
- of the 8 teams remaining... 5 have overall records .500 or better... four have conference records of .500 or better.
- opp. record: .491 (56-58) <not counting GOU: .554 (56-45)>
- opp. Conference Record: .444 (12-15) <not counting GOU: .522 (12-11)>
- opp. home record: .556 (25-20 - not couting Hope) <not counting Hope or GOU: .694 (25-11)>.
- 2 games against: CUA, UMW, and GAL.

I think YCP is a tough enough team to play strong on the road... but with a road loss already to SAL... it proves it won't be easy. This will certainly prove if YCP is as good as they seem to be.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

bisonpride

Here's the article from yesterday's game, Gallaudet @ Hood College in Thomas Johnson High School on the Frederick News-Post.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/sports/display.htm?storyid=45860

Gallaudet won 75-72 by the game winning buzzer shot by Matthew Eby from the half court after being behind by 16 at half and as many as 18 during second half before a huge come back for the victory. Second time this season that Gallaudet had won in the buzzer beater 3-pointer, previous was Robert Haney, Jr.'s shot that sank Salisbury, 63-60 for first conference win at the Field House. Ironically, Eby shot with his right hand, instead of his normal left shooting hand.

Gallaudet (8-6) will travel southern Maryland to take on the St. Mary's Seahawks tomorrow at 7pm. Hood College dropped to 7-10, they will take action in away game against Maryland Bible College this thursday (Jan. 19) then CAC's Salisbury at home in Frederick on the following monday, January 23rd.

The York 06

big game tomorrow.  YCP is ready to play this big contest.  Wait til saturday for the first home game with students their.  At home York is unbeatable.  Good luck to all this week.

York in Salem 06

Truck

York plays on the road tomorrow at the DuFour Center.

8PM tipoff.

Can any CUA Fans or anyone with knowledge tell me how far the university is from the metro? I know there is a Metro station labled CUA but do you have to take a shuttle bus or is it within walking distance?

Commitment, Hard Work, No Shortcuts

sunny

Quote from: Truck on January 17, 2006, 05:35:38 PM

8PM tipoff.

Can any CUA Fans or anyone with knowledge tell me how far the university is from the metro? I know there is a Metro station labled CUA but do you have to take a shuttle bus or is it within walking distance?

You can walk.  It's at one end of campus and the DuFour is on the other, but it's pretty much a straight walk down the same road.  I don't think I'd want to walk it in a snowstorm or downpour, but I've walked it before and it's not terrible.

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: Truck on January 17, 2006, 05:35:38 PM

8PM tipoff.

See my post above (not the Massey one--above that), last paragraph.

Its within walking distance.  There is a shuttle bus, but I'd just walk it.  Get off at the CUA/Brookland stop, take a left at the bottom of the escalator.  Head up to the ground level toward the street.  The CUA campus is in front of you.  Take a right, straight down the road. It is a bit of a walk from here, but manageable.  Just look for the landmarks I mentioned. 

Always happy to have visitors at DuFour.  Its a nice facility with plenty of room.

Pat Coleman

Walking at a steady pace it would take about 10 minutes to get to the DuFour from the metro station.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Truck

Thanks to everyone for the info. I went to the CUA website and found a map of the campus and I will follow that. It looks pretty straightforward.

Looking forward to the game. Should be a good one...

Commitment, Hard Work, No Shortcuts

The York 06

York is more then well prepared...Catholic will need a Texas like effort to win this game.  See u salem.

The York 06

All people on this forum have no clue.  Wake up and look at York.  Can you really see anyone coming into York and winning.  As for Goucher i hope everyone runs it up.  They dont deserve to be in the conference or to win a game.   No one cares about Goucher and i pray they finish 0-26

Again im not a redic fan from york just observing the conference as a whole.  You all need to stop being on this forum 24/7 i laugh at your comments.   =

York in Salem
Catholic wait til tomorrow

Pat Coleman

Learn how to spell ridiculous before you start generalizing how "all people" here "have no clue."
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.