FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSUPosse

I just saw that No. 4 North Central (Ill.) loss to (unranked) Ohio Northern 28 -19.  Hopefully, HSU will be No. 4 come tomorrow.  GO COWBOYS!!!

HSUPosse

Did anybody else notice that the poll on d3football's homepage had Whitworth as No. 5?  Pat?

baddog

McM is playing TU close :o
TU just scored to make go up 10-7.
Is McM that much better or is TU not as strong as usual?
Or will the 2nd hald turn around as did the HSU-Whitworth game?
OOOOOO, the suspense!
This is what make D3 the fun it is!
Not really a bad dog. Just misunderstood!

D O.C.

Quoteheld the Pirates to 338

Way to go!

Hold a team with a good defense to that and you are in trouble.

Hope the game was injury free. See some of you all next week. Please bring an armadillo purse for trade.

calhsu

When I checked the score of the HSU game at half time I was a bit concerned.  I have planned a trip to Oregon next week and the idea of them losing this week was not good.  I was very happy that someone at half time gave the guys the "not in our house" speech.  There will be west coast HSU alums at the game.  

baddog

Not D3, but an upset: BYU 14 OU 13.
:o
Not really a bad dog. Just misunderstood!

Ralph Turner

Big improvements in the McM stadium (Wilford Moore Stadium)...

These are what have been added over the last year+.

The western facade of the home stands has a new windscreen/tarp with the name Wilford Moore Stadium plus Track and Football with the NCAA logo.

There is a new "porch" where the TU webcast crew sat on the south end of the pressbox.  The old pressbox has two broadcast booths and then inside seems to have been widened a bit.  On the north end of the Home Stands, there is the "skybox" for the "dignitaries.

McMurry was able to implement some seating arrangements include "Chairbacks" for the season ticket holders  ($30 / 6 games)  There is other seating on the home side.

http://mcm.funditech.net/wilford_moore_seating_chart.jpg

Across the press box are the pictures of the 2008 National Champion Men's Track team.

Under the home stands, McMurry has put up screens that show the track national champions and the historic football teams from 1927 which won the Texas Intercollegiate AA, a Wilford Moore Texas Conference 1948 Champion team, the 1963 McMurry BIBLE (Brotherhood of Indian Belly Landing Experts) team coached by Grant Teaff, and the 1980 (?) Spud Aldrdige team.  There are concessions on both sides of the stands,  McMurry moved the band to the East Side.  (The band sounded good...Thanks Mr Neal).  McMurry added a visiting coaches box atop the East stands.

Quite a face lift...

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

More on the McMurry-TU game...

For my McMurry fans and lurkers, I was very impressed with the difference that Coach Mumme has made.

Proudmcmfan and finkle, this was fun.  I hope that both of you can make it to a game this season.  We had a great crowd and the game was very entertaining.

(It was good to see you, Byron.  I hope you will give your thoughts.)

Game highlights of the McM-TU game can be seen on ARNTV, the video channel of the Abilene Reporter-News.

Paste the link in your browser and then scroll down to the Adboe Flash Player screen.

The double fumble is at the end of the segment.  

http://www.reporternews.com/

Ron Boerger

Nice highlights, thanks for pointing them out, Ralph.

finkle89

Have talked to a lot of people who went to the McMurry game and have heard nothng but good and exciting things, really do like the new look from the pictures.  "The Nation" as the sports writer wrote looks to be moving in the right direction!! 5 point loss against a southern power house in Trinity makes me and other alumni and former players even more proud to be an "Indian". Now let's play the bigger boys in our conference, keep moving in the right direction!! Looking forward to catching the air raid offense in person!! Hope to make a home game soon, but will make an away game first, closer to Houston!! Glad the season her here, "what ya say Tribe!!!"

pineconefan

Congrats to HSU for the big second half yesterday.  The Cowboys broke this Pirate fans heart (hope for an upset had blossomed while listening to the first half).

But you clearly have a veteran and talented group that wasn't rattled and ended up turning things around.  Good luck the rest of the year, and looking forward to seeing your group in Spokane next year.
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

Tex

Ralph, I didn't see the old place, but I thought y'all's field was nicely done.  I loved the HUGE black McM banner on the field house wall.  Very classy. 

TU was very beatable last night.  I'm glad McMurry didn't christen the Mumme era with a W.  But, it certainly could have been had a couple of plays gone the other way.  Good effort McM. 

Oh and by the way, I'm not sure the guys working the visitors concession stand were eligible, but there were a couple of guys that needed to be on the field.  One was a hoss for sure. 
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." -- Dean Wormer

bcal

I watched with great interest the Trinity and McMurry game last evening in Abilene.  This season brought enhanced interest to me as the hiring of Hal Mumme and staff is a departure from the ways of prior times.  I commend all those involved in the unlifting changes now underway.

Trinity is a veteran and seasoned ballclub.  Good size and speed, well coached. Ranked 26th as I am told.  McMurry was ranked well done in the 100s.  What I saw assures me better days are ahead.  QB position in now in the hands of an all conference outfielder from the baseball team.  He has a good, much better than good, arm.  McM ran the ball maybe 10 times in the game.  Oline did a good job blocking and TU sent lots of folks, including safeties during the second half.  Receivers, generally, did a good job of catching the ball.  Showed speed and an ability to run after the catch.  Defense appears to be a little behind the offense.  First time to ever see the 3-3-5.  May take some time for the players to grasp it's dos and don'ts.  Again, team speed on defense appears much improved. 

The staff will have the weekend to study the last game.  It will be interesting to see the improvement in the next week of practice.  It is said, a team can improve most between the first and second game.  It takes time for new players to learn this new offense and new defense.

"Air Raid, take cover."   The ball is going up, a lot, this year!

TigerDad

Congrats to McMurry players and coaching staff on a complete turn-around from last season's opener at Trinity.  Tough ball club ... fine start for your new QB.

McMurry Athletics story angle is HERE

In recognition of throwing a school record 479 yards, QB Jake Mullin is featured on the D3Football home page this morning!

One year ago (or last November), who'd have thunk it?
;)
Trinity Tiger Football ... where champions compete on and off the field.