Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stlawus

Quote from: Saint of Old on July 08, 2021, 03:28:28 PM
Yeah, kinda like playing around  with the ball in the back forever, without purpose and getting pressed,  picked on and scored on time and time again.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

You know how to twist the knife fellow Saint.   Sadly, what you said is completely accurate about our squad.

deutschfan

I'm sure it will be better this year after the players and coaches have watched all of the European National Teams do the same thing in Euro 2020.    Kudos to Ithaca for a very respectable OOC schedule including Cortland, Stevens, Hamilton's return to Liberty League action, and away at Lycoming.  I am certain they tried to schedule a pharmacy or culinary arts school but there is just too much demand for those opponents.

deutschfan

I'm sure it will be better this year after the players and coaches have watched all of the European National Teams do the same thing in Euro 2020.    Kudos to Ithaca for a very respectable OOC schedule including Cortland, Stevens, Hamilton's return to Liberty League action, and away at Lycoming.  I am certain they tried to schedule a pharmacy or culinary arts school but there is just too much demand for those opponents.

stlawus

Yea that's a very respectable schedule for Ithaca.  SLU's isn't out yet but I know at least 4 OOC games are Buff State, Potsdam/Canton (these 2 teams are the on the schedule every year) and Oneonta.  For a while they went without playing Oneonta but the last few years they've resumed the fixture which I am happy about.  Buff State has also had some really good teams in recent seasons.

stlawus

SLU schedule is up.  Very happy with the non-conference schedule.  Buff State, Oneonta and Cortland are all tough teams and Geneseo is usually no easy feat.   The usual NoCo matchups with Canton and Potsdam, and what should be a winnable game against Hartwick but who knows with them anymore, especially with the way SLU played in their last season.   Disappointed to see only a scrimmage against Plattsburgh, that's usually a good non-con matchup.  SLU usually scrimmages a D1 team which is on the schedule again this year against Shapiro's Harvard squad. 

Saint of Old

Brother Saint.
You prove that the best thing about college soccer and this site is indeed the fans. The guys who will support the team no matter what.

I will always support the team, but also have to acknowledge that the last losing season SLU had before last year was 1992.

I feel old saying this but 1992  was almost 30 years 3 decades ago. The team won a Chip, but 30 years of not just winning football but good football.

It all starts with good football. There are those who think only results matter and that is true to a point, but people remember the Dutch team of 74 and the Brazil team of 82 not because they won but the football was always pristine.
The football must be good first and foremost before any thought of winning can be had.

SLU soccer is made from two things that work hand in hand Aggression and Skill.  Sounds simple but hard to pull off.

Wishing the boys the best this season as always.

deutschfan

One factor weighing on where things shake out this year for all the teams is whether they have seniors who would have graduated in spring 2021 holding over.  There were 13 All Liberty League players who were juniors during the 2019 season.  At least it is clear that one, Skidmore's Stanley Langyintuo, a first teamer, decided to graduate and try to play post college.  Two teams, Ithaca and Hobart have posted their 2021 rosters not including freshman.  Both have holdovers.  The most impactful are Jonathan Kyriakidis from Ithaca and August Martini from Hobart.  Some big names still up in the air.

d3d3d3

RPI and Ithaca included in the Top 25 released by the United Soccer Coaches today:

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-diii-men/

Saint of Old

Much respect to these 2 league powers.
RPI has always been class class class. Clinton is a top coach and GETS THE MOST OUT OF EVERY TEAM which is how you judge a coach.
The top notch talent wont be there year in year out but the real coaches are able to maximize potential which is what Clinton always does. That last deep run he made was so very much deserved for the program. He might just Engineer something this year.

The Bombers took to a very tough league like fish to water had a nice dance the last season as well. Historic programs that have been good for  very long time and having a resurgence is what football is all about.

Both these programs know though that its where you are ranked at the end of the season that truly matters.

deutschfan

Saints 2021 roster is posted.  SLU had 10 juniors on its 2019 team including Captain and 2018 all LL player Sam Sapnar, as well as a pretty impressive Spanish midfielder.  They are all gone.  The only 2021 senior has no apparent college playing experience.  This year, like 2019, could be another work in progress. 

stlawus

The senior you mention is a transfer from Old Dominion, but your point still stands.  They have another transfer from Seton Hall in the squad that might help a bit, but after 2019 ( a season that had a lot of roster turnover) I am not going to raise my expectations.

deutschfan

Good catch St. Law.  I should have googled him as his biography on the SLU website was blank.  He is not quite the player he was at Old Dominion.  At ODU he was 6'1 165, and now he is 5'11 160.  It is funny how some schools, especially D1, tend to exaggera

Saint of Old

D1 Xferrs do not have a good track record at SLU but for a few.
I wish the young man luck.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

SLU had its first losing season in 30 years last season. Looking more like Arsenal lately more than the AJAX model the team was built and sustained on.

Mr.Right

Where are they playing the SLU / Harvard scrimmage? Sometimes they choose a field halfway for both schools. You would think SLU will be making the trip to Cambridge but sometimes Ivies cannot find scrimmages because they start so late compared to other D1s.

Anyway do we have a time / location for that match?