WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Lots of chatter on the men's side with only Williams remaining in the Big Dance.  Seems that with Three women's teams remaining in the Big Dance sweet 16, why am I alone on this board....doesn't matter.   Amherst will host the upper quad...with the top ranked WBB team and two Nescac teams...Tufts and Amherst.  Amherst will face the Jumbo's for the third time!  Should be a great game....hope it will be another win for the "older" mascot.

nescac nostradamus

Unfortunately, only 2 two women's teams from the NESCAC remain as Bates lost their second round game.  Amherst vs. Tufts 3 will be a great game.  We know Amherst is going to bring the heat on defense as usual.  Bates beat Amherst in the NESCAC finals by matching their intensity on defense (and they have a better offense).  Tufts is similar to Bates (I think Tufts was 1st in scoring in NESCAC, Bates was second) in that they would rather outscore their opponents.  Tufts seemed more committed to defense in their win versus a tough and talented DeSales team.  I'm predicting a close game that will go down to the wire, with the winner playing Trinity, TX who will upset #1 overall seed CNU for a trip to the final 4.

amh63

NESCAC NOSTRADAMUS...put your "handle" in all caps....you called the outcome of two games at Amherst tonight!   No.1 team lost to Trinity of Texas and Amherst beats Tufts for the 3rd time in a LOW scoring game!

amh63

Back again....Amherst wins over Trinity of Texas in a fast pace high scoring game....for Amherst.  Heading for the Final 4...again in Pittsburgh :P ;D

cantdothat

Santimano will not return as Head Coach of Bowdoin Women's Basketball.

gordonmann

True. The College's release cited family health issues as the reason for the departure.

Hope everything works out there.

gordonmann

Hey, speaking of that thing that happened two months ago, here's an interview with Bowdoin's head coach.

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2022/07/atn-megan-phelps-bowdoin

nescac nostradamus

Thoughts on wide open NESCAC as we approach conference play with predictions for top 8 in standings:

1) Trinity.  Would have been big favorite if Gallo returned, not sure what happened there.  Very un-NESCAC like with the D1 transfers, but to each their own!  Reilly is a very strong post presence who will be in the running for POY.  Second D1 transfer Wax is very good.  They play dood defense and have an experienced team.  Good win versus Springfield and almost took down a very good Smith team. 

2) Tufts.  Tufts is playing a relatively young/inexperienced lineup.  POY candidate Russell is a junior and averaging a double double again, but their next 2 leading scorers are freshman, followed by a Sophomore.  I expect Tufts to get better as the year moves along and the team gets more experience.  Tufts has played a BRUTAL schedule to date unlike Amherst (more on that in a bit) with games against NYU, Scranton, Emory, Stevens, and upcoming games against Smith and Babson.  Tufts played NYU very close for 2 and a half quarters without Russell before they ran out of gas and got rolled late.  They also played a very tough Scranton team well until the end of that game.

3) Bowdoin.  Huge props to new coach Phelps for having the Polar Bears playing great despite virtually the same team from last year (16-9, 5-5 in conf).  Bowdoin will be one of the most experience teams which could play dividends in what I expect to be many close games in a parity filled NESCAC this year.  Only 2 losses were the great effort against NYU and a close loss to Smith.

4) Amherst.  Amherst lost a LOT from their Final 4 team from a year ago.  While I agree with Gordon Mann that Amherst is young, I'm not sure about them being a super talented team.  Patel is special and will make all team 1st conference, but I don't see the same talent in the youngsters like I see at Tufts.  Maybe they will also grow as the season progresses, but I am skeptical.  Now, we all know they will be a great defensive team and incredibly well coached, but I don't see the firepower to compete for a NESCAC title this year.  Which leads me to my next point, did GP know this and schedule an incredibly weak out of conference schedule (outside of a good Springfield team) with the hopes his winning % gets him in the tourney?  My prediction, if they don't win the tournament, and I don't think they will, controversy will be coming when the committee either lets in a 4th NESCAC team, or not.

5) Williams.  I like Williams mix of experience and new blood.  Mandyk is very athletic and a really good rebounder while being a capable scorer.  Seniors Holtze and Biesbrock are both solid and have done well with increased playing time.  The wild card for Williams is Sophomore Gerig, who has lots of upside.  She is big, athletic, and can do it all.  If she continues to develop, I think Williams will have a few upset wins this year.

6) Hamilton.  Props to Coach Green - she has this team playing hard.  Their leading scorer is a Freshman Lambo who is big and good around the basket.  Sehring is very athletic and a good rebounder/defender.  Hall is a talented point guard and does a good job running the team.  Freshman Hill a is deadly 3 point shooter and Coach Green has some athletic bigs who come off the bench.  Hamilton has impressive wins against SJF and Rochester, lost to top 10 Baldwin Wallace in a close game, and lost to a good Ithaca team today.   Hamilton also has tough non-conference matchups with   
Smith and Babson on the horizon.  Hamilton is an up and coming program, but I don't think they quite have the talent to compete for a title this year.

7) Middlebury.  Like Patel, i think Mustafaj is special.  Her floater game is elite and her 3 point shooting is very good.  Middlebury is also fairly young and they also play hard.  With Mustafaj, they can beat any NESCAC team on any given night, I just don't think they have the talent beyond her to be at the top of the NESCAC.

8) Bates.  Yes, the defending champs will sneak into the NESCAC tournament, but it won't be easy.  Defending POY Graff is back and doing her thing, but does not have a lot of help.  Losing Gadeleta (don't know if she is coming back this year or not), really hurt the Bobcats.  As good as Graff is, it's going to a struggle to get that 8th spot this year for Bates.

gordonmann

I love this breakdown. +k to you

This feels like a year where the NESCAC could have 5 teams in the Top 40 (if that existed) but no teams in the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. We'll see if any rise above what looks like a very deep field.

By the way, congrats to Trinity (Conn.) on its first ever appearance in the D3hoops.com Top 25 poll.

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2022-23/week5

saratoga

Agree, great overview.

This was the year I had the Bantoms winning the NESCAC (which they still can do) but, I figured Sam Gallo would be there to assist & obviously, it doesn't appear that will happen.
They very easily could be playing with 3 D-1 transfers & all very good players.
As it is, the two they have plus the supporting cast may well be enough.

Tufts will only get better as they play together, & they are tough right now.

Amherst doesn't seem to have the multiple options to score as they usually do but, they still play tough D & hit the offensive glass.
Never rule out a GP team.

Bowdoin doing a great job putting things together after a tough year last season & will also be a tough matchup by playoff time.

Should be fun.

Riley Zayas

Quote from: nescac nostradamus on January 02, 2023, 06:57:34 PM
Thoughts on wide open NESCAC as we approach conference play with predictions for top 8 in standings:

1) Trinity.  Would have been big favorite if Gallo returned, not sure what happened there.  Very un-NESCAC like with the D1 transfers, but to each their own!  Reilly is a very strong post presence who will be in the running for POY.  Second D1 transfer Wax is very good.  They play dood defense and have an experienced team.  Good win versus Springfield and almost took down a very good Smith team. 

2) Tufts.  Tufts is playing a relatively young/inexperienced lineup.  POY candidate Russell is a junior and averaging a double double again, but their next 2 leading scorers are freshman, followed by a Sophomore.  I expect Tufts to get better as the year moves along and the team gets more experience.  Tufts has played a BRUTAL schedule to date unlike Amherst (more on that in a bit) with games against NYU, Scranton, Emory, Stevens, and upcoming games against Smith and Babson.  Tufts played NYU very close for 2 and a half quarters without Russell before they ran out of gas and got rolled late.  They also played a very tough Scranton team well until the end of that game.

3) Bowdoin.  Huge props to new coach Phelps for having the Polar Bears playing great despite virtually the same team from last year (16-9, 5-5 in conf).  Bowdoin will be one of the most experience teams which could play dividends in what I expect to be many close games in a parity filled NESCAC this year.  Only 2 losses were the great effort against NYU and a close loss to Smith.

4) Amherst.  Amherst lost a LOT from their Final 4 team from a year ago.  While I agree with Gordon Mann that Amherst is young, I'm not sure about them being a super talented team.  Patel is special and will make all team 1st conference, but I don't see the same talent in the youngsters like I see at Tufts.  Maybe they will also grow as the season progresses, but I am skeptical.  Now, we all know they will be a great defensive team and incredibly well coached, but I don't see the firepower to compete for a NESCAC title this year.  Which leads me to my next point, did GP know this and schedule an incredibly weak out of conference schedule (outside of a good Springfield team) with the hopes his winning % gets him in the tourney?  My prediction, if they don't win the tournament, and I don't think they will, controversy will be coming when the committee either lets in a 4th NESCAC team, or not.

5) Williams.  I like Williams mix of experience and new blood.  Mandyk is very athletic and a really good rebounder while being a capable scorer.  Seniors Holtze and Biesbrock are both solid and have done well with increased playing time.  The wild card for Williams is Sophomore Gerig, who has lots of upside.  She is big, athletic, and can do it all.  If she continues to develop, I think Williams will have a few upset wins this year.

6) Hamilton.  Props to Coach Green - she has this team playing hard.  Their leading scorer is a Freshman Lambo who is big and good around the basket.  Sehring is very athletic and a good rebounder/defender.  Hall is a talented point guard and does a good job running the team.  Freshman Hill a is deadly 3 point shooter and Coach Green has some athletic bigs who come off the bench.  Hamilton has impressive wins against SJF and Rochester, lost to top 10 Baldwin Wallace in a close game, and lost to a good Ithaca team today.   Hamilton also has tough non-conference matchups with   
Smith and Babson on the horizon.  Hamilton is an up and coming program, but I don't think they quite have the talent to compete for a title this year.

7) Middlebury.  Like Patel, i think Mustafaj is special.  Her floater game is elite and her 3 point shooting is very good.  Middlebury is also fairly young and they also play hard.  With Mustafaj, they can beat any NESCAC team on any given night, I just don't think they have the talent beyond her to be at the top of the NESCAC.

8) Bates.  Yes, the defending champs will sneak into the NESCAC tournament, but it won't be easy.  Defending POY Graff is back and doing her thing, but does not have a lot of help.  Losing Gadeleta (don't know if she is coming back this year or not), really hurt the Bobcats.  As good as Graff is, it's going to a struggle to get that 8th spot this year for Bates.

Excellent breakdown...very informative! Bowdoin looked VERY good against Springfield today...ON THE ROAD! The NESCAC is indeed a wide-open conference race this year.
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

MrMaus

Wonderful write up, it addresses the key pros and cons for each team very effectively. Thank you.

There has been at least one NESCAC team in the final 4 since 2012 (9 full tournaments), including 3 years with 2 and the 2020 season where it could easily have been 3. When placed up against that pedigree it is easy to imply that none of these teams are sweet 16 ready, but I think we have seen conference teams really step up in the NCAA tournament time and time again. No one was betting on a NESCAC final four participant last year but an inexperienced Amherst team (POY Schoonveld had more meaningful NCAA tournament minutes played than the entire Amherst team going into last year) showed the strength of the conference.

The write up clearly articulates the lack of dominant seniors which, I would argue, is the legacy of Covid. For example, Amherst's "two best seniors" are playing at Trinity of TX and Union, both transferring once the NESCAC announced the fact there would be no 2020/21 season, and Gadeleta and Gallo leave holes in their teams. Additionally, the recruiting class of '23 is very spotty, which makes sense if you were a recruit trying to find a home to play when the conference had one of the most strict lock down and testing policies around, and schools that charge $75k per year.

What I find very interesting is how the teams coming out of the Covid pandemic. There are exciting freshman, sophomores and juniors on all the squads, who will now get put through a cement mixer of conference play and the conference tournament. Having to play meaningful games every weekend will bring experience and confidence these players can use once the tournament rolls around.

I would like to speak specifically to Amherst. They have a front court of Stewart and Cwalina as sophomores (6'6 and 6'2), two freshman swing forwards in Tranum (6'0) and Liddle (35% from 3) and a back court of Patel, Vera and Barach, a junior and two sophomores, with significant NCAA tournament playing time. Just like last years team they will be wildly inconsistent as they learn the system, and in watching them they don't have the logic of GP's defense embedded in their behavior yet, but I don't think any of the current top 16 teams would be happy to see them in their bracket the first week of the tournament.

Personally 4 or 5 NESCAC teams in the tournament is completely reasonable and possible, which ones is something we will learn over the next month. Can't wait to watch.

gordonmann

Makes sense to me.

Someone asked me why the NESCAC was down this season, relative to its very high standards. My initial thought was COVID and the impact that the "lost season" had on programs. If that's true, it's perhaps not surprising that Trinity (Conn.) has weathered the storm with its influx of Division I transfers.

Big week for the Bants, starting with Babson tonight and then Hamilton and Amherst over the weekend.

nescac nostradamus

With 2 weekends left in the NESCAC regular season, I'm circling 2 big games on the last weekend of regular season play.  With Trinity and Tufts at the top of the conference standings, Trinity at Tufts on 2/11 could be for the regular season crown and hosting rights for the NESCAC tournament.  Trinity has rolled through the NESCAC to date, but finishes up on the road at Williams, at Middlebury, at Bates, and then at Tufts.  Tufts, who has been playing well as of late, has an easier schedule at Colby and Bowdoin, then at home against Wes and Trinity.  On the other end of the standings, I am also circling the 2/11 game when Bowdoin plays Amherst.  Could that game be a winner makes the NESCAC tournament and the loser stays home?  It could be, as Amherst is currently 2-5 in conference play and currently out of the NESCAC tournament.   Bowdoin has a tough remaining schedule playing Bates and Tufts this weekend, then the brutal at Hamilton and at Amherst to finish the season.  My prediction - Anherst wins the final 3 conference games to make the tournament and Bowdoin is on the outside looking in.  Amherst would be a tough opening game for one of the top finishers in the opening round of the NESCAC tourney.  Outside of Trinity and Tufts, the standings are tight in the still wide open NESCAC and it's going to be a great finish to the regular season and a wild, upset filled NESCAC tournament!