WBB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by charge, October 30, 2004, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We should point out the HCAC is hoping to play... at least they have schedules out...
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Jester1390

My info for the HCAC comes from a pretty high source. On a lower source note. I just had a dad whos daughte ris on a Miac team text me that they also will be playing in January.

And this is a great ideal I should go on the central page as not many come to this page .  Im not sure if its the confrence or Hamline itself but they have Hyvee sponsoring them for the cost of their tests 3 times a week. Great ideal. I alllready forward to Rose coaches and said you should present to HCAC commissioner

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Jester - the source isn't relevant. My point was there is a plan in place, but "a plan today is a plan today." I can list a lot of different reasons for plans across the country to be changed at any point between now and ... May.

We have been tracking all of it - posting the cancelations and delay decisions by schools and conferences. It can be found here: https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/11/winter-is-coming-but-who-will-play

I tweeted about the latest information I have gathered today and it can be found here: https://twitter.com/d3hoopsville/status/1341504569264779265
... or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Hoopsville/ (latest post)

Reminder that if we hit 40% canceled or delayed in terms of seasons, the NCAA tournaments will be called off. I think there will be basketball played in different parts of the country ... scattered, but the tourneys won't happen.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Jester1390

No problem i think it  go's without saying that any plans are day to day

Jester1390

I also think its brilliant by either the MIAC or if its just Hamline having a sponsor paying for the testing. Because in the end college is like any other buisness they are worried about costs and bottom lines.  Leadership will say oh its the concern for the kids but the reason once you strip away  what they are expected to say ismost schools who will cancel is because of cost of testing.

If  following the  science college kids are at practically no risk for themselves now that doesnt anwser the coaching and the refs and staff or if kids go home during a break but for the health of the players there alot more things that will hurt them then covid.  Now I understand this will make some people upset . They can go home and kill old people will be a comment. Like i stated im only talking about the athlete themselves.

When the goverment shuts down liqour stores,weed stores,wall mart or home depot then I would worry about my daughter and i certainly never would have let her leave the state,
For all the pro and college athletes with a positive test I havent heard of one of them being even more then flu ill and certainly not in the hospital. I could be wrong but I dont think there has been.

People of my age Need to be smart and  need to be aware but shutting down the lives of young people so I have a false sense of security is not what i want on my shoulders.

Anyways back to basketball Paige Bueckers is everything I saw growing up and more and did you see the rings the Lakers got.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Cost of testing, yes ... but another concern colleges have is their entire campus. An outbreak could impact their faculty (who are not young), administration, staff, janitors, food service individuals ... the list is long. Furthermore, it could affect and even kill young adults like college age students who may not be fully aware of any pre-existing conditions that may cause their illness to be worse. Or just impact them significantly. I have a former colleague from my TV days who son is a junior at Univ. of Tennessee. He contracted the virus and spent weeks in the hospital - some of the time on a ventilator. That stay impacted him greatly that he now is home under rehab care still learning to fully walk again (having spent time in a hospital this year myself, not for covid, that caused me to be in a bed FAR more than expected, I understand how it impacts something as simple as even walking).

You are also very right, Jester, that students can take this virus back to other people and impact them far more than themselves. Something I know some people just do not appreciate. It is something I am VERY concerned about with my kids attending a small, private, catholic elementary school. It is a long story and one that makes me nervous day to day...

So there are a lot of concerns colleges have to face since they have small communities of varying sizes they are responsible for. They also impact their local communities. I know of a handful of campuses that were, or likely were, told to send their students home because the local health departments had concerns with an outbreak or a potential outbreak on the local resources and hospital beds. A campus breakout not only will have the local hospitals slammed, but if it also impacts the community the resources for those ares are now maxed more than capacity or ability can handle.

Take LA County which is restricting any colleges from having students on campus and may allow a pilot program that would allow only 500 students per campus. Those restrictions keep any of the DIII campuses from having students on campus and thus having any athletic teams practicing let alone competing - so that has nothing to do with testing.

Yes, tests are a significant concern when it comes to costs. Some colleges can handle it; some can't. Some colleges need to make the sacrifice if they hope to stay open in the future; some cannot. But there is a very long list of other reasons, some contributing and some separate, that go into these decisions about students on campus and the like.

As for it doesn't seem to be as big a risk for pros and college age students, what is an acceptable risk? One of the top players in DI who plays for Florida just collapsed during a game recently. It appears the cause is tied to the virus. He apparently has acute myocarditis - the same condition that killed Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis among others. There needs to be more tests in his case, but if COVID drives up the risk of myocarditis or any other long-term affect we aren't even aware of ... is that worth the risk?

Sure, it seems mild, but Ravens MVP QB Lamar Jackson describes being basically in his bed for 10 days straight sleeping. Same description a good friend of mine described the other day after he went through the exact same thing. He is two weeks removed and he's still exhausted - to the point of waking for breakfast then falling asleep again. That is pretty much worse than the flu... and again, the long-term problems aren't known right now. To quote someone I was talking to the other day: "let's hope history judges us well with regards to what may be long term effects of having the virus."

For the record ... I agree with much of what you said, Jester ... you just inspired me to put some thoughts down.

Jester1390

Dave I think all your points are valid and I'm not saying I have all the answers but we are all day to day and you can't stop living. There will never be 0 percent. So like you mentioned d 2 cases out of how many college kids.   My heart go's out to anyone who has lost anyone and I wouldn't advise my mom to go to her granddaughters game.   People die every year from flu and other sickness and traffic accidents will kids on the cell phones driving will take more kids out then Covid will ever do.  We don't stop kids from driving.   For me personally and I realize the world doesn't revolve around me I am far more worried about getting alzihmers down the road then Covid.  Let's get warp speed for that or cancer things that will be long killing more people after Covid is over

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

No disrespect, but distracted driving kills nine people a day on average ... we are currently losing about 60 per day to covid (and it has been higher).

We have also lost as many people since COVID started (not 12 months, yet) as we have lost to the flu in the last five years combined (some states, it is the last ten years combined).

And we have done a lot of things to try and keep distracted drivers from killing people like laws - but distracted driving is not contagious.

And we do a LOT for the flu each year including a vaccine, but the flu isn't as contagious as covid.

Scarier thing... a new variant is 50% more contagious.

We need to get through the next 3-9 months and hope the vaccine allows us to get better control measures in place. It is unfortunate that student-athletes are taking a hit with all of this, but pandemics like this don't come around all that often (once a century it appears) and we have to just get through this. There are far more important things - even if that means it costs students the chance to compete this season or people like myself our careers.

And we have tried to get warp speed for cancer - but warp speed was about gambling on the right vaccines and making them ahead of time pending approval. Godforbid those vaccines ended up being busts - or warp speed would have been a bust as well. I am very glad it worked out... but I'm not sure how it would compare to cancer. There have been insane efforts made to figure out cancer, but ... it is a strange challenge. Well out of my depths of understanding.

BTW - Covid will never be over. It will be like the flu in our lives from now on. Sadly. We need vaccines to work and then we can maybe get ahead of this thing.

Jester1390

Update on hcac scheduling from what i understand still not panting schools 4 hours away and now will be playing the same school twice back to back Friday and Saturday. Might be a couple thursdays in there so 12 conference games on docket

FCGrizzliesGrad

Here's the mileage chart from the old conference website. The only matchups listed as over 4 hours away are

Anderson: none                                   (Transy 3:46 the longest)
Bluffton: RHIT                                     (Franklin, Hanover, Transy all over 3:30)
Defiance: Hanover, RHIT, Transy           (Franklin and MSJ 3:29 or more)
Earlham: none                                    (no one more than 3 hours)
Franklin: none                                    (Bluffton and Defiance about 3:30)
Hanover: Defiance, Manchester            (Bluffton almost 4 hours)
Manchester: Hanover, Transy                (MSJ almost 4 hours, RHIT about 3:30)
MSJ: none                                           (Defiance and Manchester almost 4 hours)
RHIT: Bluffton, Defiance, Transy            (Hanover, Manchester, MSJ over 3 hours)
Transy: Defiance, Manchester, RHIT       (Anderson and Bluffton almost 4 hours)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Jester1390 on December 30, 2020, 06:34:25 PM
Update on hcac scheduling from what i understand still not panting schools 4 hours away and now will be playing the same school twice back to back Friday and Saturday. Might be a couple thursdays in there so 12 conference games on docket

The back-to-backs against same opponent is a major step for testing. If not, more testing is required each week ... and that brings with it more costs.

FCGrizzliesGrad

It's not really important, but I wonder if it would be possible to do like the NCAA tournament and have two teams who are too far apart head to a centralized team (say Earlham or Franklin). They could do a 3 day round robin.
Say Defiance heads to Earlham and plays on day 1, Transylvania heads up and plays Defiance on day 2 then Defiance heads home, and day 3 is Transylvania against Earlham. Franklin could do the same with say Manchester and Hanover. Then the other 4 teams would do the back to back games with a single opponent (say Anderson vs Bluffton and RHIT vs MSJ). Everyone gets their 2 games in for the week and teams who are too far apart can at least get 1 matchup.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Jester1390

Grizz thats a good idea but i think its to late in the process.  It doesnt appear rose will be playing St.Mary of the woods in their annual tournament ther eis some talk about maybe playing the game after the confrence tournament .

Jester1390

Rose just released their updated schedule   Back to back games Thursday and Saturday most of them against the same team

2020-21 Women's Basketball

Overall    0-0  .000

Conference 0-0  .000

Streak     ---

Home       0-0

Away       0-0

Neutral    0-0

Date           Time      At     Opponent           Location                          Tournament   Result

Jan 14 (Thu)   8:15 PM   Home   Franklin           Terre Haute, IN (Hulbert Arena)                     

Jan 16 (Sat)   1 PM      Away   Franklin           Franklin, IN                                         

Jan 21 (Thu)   7 PM      Home   Hanover            Terre Haute, IN (Hulbert Arena)                     

Jan 23 (Sat)   1 PM      Away   Hanover            Hanover, IN                                         

Jan 28 (Thu)   7:30 PM   Away   Mount St. Joseph   Cincinnati, OH                                       

Jan 30 (Sat)   2 PM      Home   Mount St. Joseph   Terre Haute, IN (Hulbert Arena)                     

Feb 4 (Thu)    7:30 PM   Away   Anderson           Anderson, IN                                         

Feb 6 (Sat)    2 PM      Home   Anderson           Terre Haute, IN (Hulbert Arena)                     

Feb 12 (Fri)   7:30 PM   Away   Manchester         North Manchester, IN                                 

Feb 13 (Sat)   6:45 PM   Home   Manchester         Terre Haute, IN (Hulbert Arena)                     

Feb 19 (Fri)   8:15 PM   Home   Earlham            Terre Haute, IN (Hulbert Arena)                     

Feb 21 (Sun)   3:30 PM   Away   Earlham            Richmond, IN