2022 Season Game Notes

Started by SimpleCoach, August 29, 2022, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine Soccer Fan

U. of Chicago vs. NYU
Just some random notes, as I only saw the second half.

- NYU manages to hold UC scoreless down a man for 60 minutes.
- I have no idea if the red was warranted as I didn't see it, but there seemed to be a number of soft yellows given in the second half.
- If the game had been decided by xG, NYU would have won. UC had no good looks in the second half until the final minute when a player banged one off the crossbar.
- I was very impressed by NYU's composure and confidence playing a man down, no matter their ability to create chances a man down.
- I was not impressed by UC's lack of urgency and creativity when a man up. One would have thought they were up by two goals given the tempo of play.
- UC refused to use the width of the field to their advantage and insisted on playing low-percentage balls through the middle when in possession. They really lacked patience.
- A couple of the NYU attackers showed great 1 v1 strength and skill when creating chances for themselves.

Big Takeaway - UC's #1 ranking will be taken away next week

Coach Jeff

Quote from: Maine Soccer Fan on October 28, 2022, 06:14:13 PM
U. of Chicago vs. NYU

- I have no idea if the red was warranted as I didn't see it, but there seemed to be a number of soft yellows given in the second half.
- If the game had been decided by xG, NYU would have won. UC had no good looks in the second half until the final minute when a player banged one off the crossbar.
- I was very impressed by NYU's composure and confidence playing a man down, no matter their ability to create chances a man down.
- I was not impressed by UC's lack of urgency and creativity when a man up. One would have thought they were up by two goals given the tempo of play.
- UC refused to use the width of the field to their advantage and insisted on playing low-percentage balls through the middle when in possession. They really lacked patience.
- A couple of the NYU attackers showed great 1 v1 strength and skill when creating chances for themselves.

Yes it was a red card the player did not even complain after being sent off.

blue_jays

U. of Chicago vs. NYU

Which is totally fine, and I'm sure the Maroons won't be crushed by dropping a place or two in the rankings. Messiah has been plenty deserving of the top spot, and I bet the undefeated start was beginning to weigh on UChicago a bit. Every team is gonna have its off day, so may as well get it over with now and reset yourself mentally.
Rankings are arbitrary things and likely several people on these boards will pounce with hot takes of UChicago being overrated, etc. Ultimately the Maroons just have to move on and get ready for Brandeis. The postseason result is the end goal after all.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: blue_jays on October 29, 2022, 12:42:54 AM
U. of Chicago vs. NYU

Which is totally fine, and I'm sure the Maroons won't be crushed by dropping a place or two in the rankings. Messiah has been plenty deserving of the top spot, and I bet the undefeated start was beginning to weigh on UChicago a bit. Every team is gonna have its off day, so may as well get it over with now and reset yourself mentally.
Rankings are arbitrary things and likely several people on these boards will pounce with hot takes of UChicago being overrated, etc. Ultimately the Maroons just have to move on and get ready for Brandeis. The postseason result is the end goal after all.

For the record, Chicago is already #2 in the SimpleCoach Top 25....  8-)

Coach Jeff

Quote from: SimpleCoach on October 29, 2022, 06:20:14 AM
Quote from: blue_jays on October 29, 2022, 12:42:54 AM
U. of Chicago vs. NYU

For the record, Chicago is already #2 in the SimpleCoach Top 25....  8-)
Well that is why we all listen to you way to go SC