FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Warhawk

Quote from: WW on April 27, 2021, 02:38:07 PM
Quote from: emma17 on April 27, 2021, 10:54:01 AM
Quote from: jknezek on April 27, 2021, 09:30:45 AM
Great article about Quinn Meinerz in the Washington Post this morning. Probably nothing new for you guys, but a really good profile of him and the effort he put in to be draft eligible and how it has paid off in raising his draft stock. Nice to see an in-depth piece on him instead of simply draftnick talking points.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/27/quinn-meinerz-nfl-draft-prospect/

Thanks very much for sharing jknezek- you're right the article was a great profile.
I wasn't aware he didn't market himself in high school- a good lesson for others.

Regardless of where he's drafted, I hope he has a long and successful NFL career.

Let's see how well you Whitewaterians know your history. Quinn Meinerz will be drafted this weekend. How many UWW Warhawks have been drafted into the NFL before him?

Stanley was the last one. Maybe 6 before him.

So 7 total maybe?

badgerwarhawk

6 Meinerz will be 7

Counting all levels of professional football 26 WARHAWKS have played professional football.  The longest NFL career by a WARHAWK is 15 years.  Matt Turk played for 7 different NFL franchises and was an All Pro punter three times.  He was originally a free agent signing by the PACERS in the mid-1990s. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

LL to Kansas talk still hot. Supposed to be a decision this week.

emma17

If you have interest, the following article provides a link to a great (imo) interview with Coach Leipold. The interview covers a lot of ground, including D3 and UWW as well as Buffalo.

https://www2.ljworld.com/sports/2021/apr/27/buffalo-coach-lance-leipold-shares-his-blueprint-for-turning-program-around-on-recent-podcast/

gbpuckfan

St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

02 Warhawk

USee

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on April 30, 2021, 10:42:33 AM
Wonder who's he taking with him?

I heard Emma is interviewing for a spot to run the Kansas poster's board.

gbpuckfan

St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

WW

If he can fix that mess... I just fear it's fundamentally unfixable.

jknezek

Quote from: WW on April 30, 2021, 11:17:44 AM

This. But a coach can effect change. Schiano made Rutgers relevant for a few years. If that isn't proof of anything being possible I don't know what is. LL might be able to do the same at Kansas. Though Kansas will need to be patient, it took Schiano 4 years to get traction. I'm not sure anyone is patient enough anymore.

WW

Quote from: jknezek on April 30, 2021, 11:39:21 AM

This. But a coach can effect change. Schiano made Rutgers relevant for a few years. If that isn't proof of anything being possible I don't know what is. LL might be able to do the same at Kansas. Though Kansas will need to be patient, it took Schiano 4 years to get traction. I'm not sure anyone is patient enough anymore.

The thing about Rutgers is that New Jersey is a hotbed of football talent. They historically lose it to Penn State (and others) but it's all in their backyard. They just need to do a better job of keeping their own. Kansas doesn't have that inherent advantage.

Best case, he gets them to .500 in three years and gets out for one final shot at real D1 glory. How's that for patience?

jknezek

Quote from: WW on April 30, 2021, 12:46:07 PM
Quote from: jknezek on April 30, 2021, 11:39:21 AM

The thing about Rutgers is that New Jersey is a hotbed of football talent. They historically lose it to Penn State (and others) but it's all in their backyard. They just need to do a better job of keeping their own. Kansas doesn't have that inherent advantage.

Best case, he gets them to .500 in three years and gets out for one final shot at real D1 glory. How's that for patience?

Probably his best bet. Get them to a bowl game and bail for a better situation. I hope it works out.

emma17

Quote from: USee on April 30, 2021, 11:02:28 AM

I heard Emma is interviewing for a spot to run the Kansas poster's board.

;D ;D
Speaking of boards. I was reminiscing this morning about the tone of the U B fan boards the first couple of seasons LL and staff were there. LL took quite a few shots from fans-  not so much about winning/losing, but I think disappointment in not seeing something they expected to see.
I imagine it will be the same initially at Kansas. Immediate change may not be noticeable to the average fan. But the next thing you know, 3-4 years into it, the change will be dramatic. UB won more MAC games over the last three years than any other team.
All coaches say it's a "process", yet somehow LL and staff have a real way in making it work.

I'm so excited to see a great transformation over time- hopefully the KU fans, alumni and administration will hang in there during the major construction phase.

bleedpurple

Great question. The guy who writes articles for the primary Buffalo fan website/message board is advocating they hire Borland as Head Coach immediately and attempt to keep as much of the staff as they can. I'm guessing he goes with Lance. I don't see him settling in Buffalo forever without him.