MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Day to be a Royal

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. Look how many D1's don't have that support from their university.  We just saw it in U of Hartford dropping down.

Scranton obviously has tremendous support from the athletics offices side, and I think under previous presidents, the same can be said, so we will see where that goes with the new president. 

It would be interesting to see how much money is spent in comparison to other private D3's across the MA region.  I know it was discussed previously with CNU and Swarthmore in a post a few weeks back.   

Bottom line is you can have all of the support and backing you want, but you need to have the right kids in a given program.  Right doesn't mean best. 

Additionally, Hartford is not going to look at the Landmark.  They are in central CT, and will identify with the NE schools, all of which are closer than rides to Scranton, DC, and Western PA.  Might be a school that U of S matches up with for NC games across some sports...

NJRoyal137

Quote from: Great Day to be a Royal on May 10, 2021, 01:01:20 PM
I don't think one has anything to do with the other. Look how many D1's don't have that support from their university.  We just saw it in U of Hartford dropping down.

Scranton obviously has tremendous support from the athletics offices side, and I think under previous presidents, the same can be said, so we will see where that goes with the new president. 

It would be interesting to see how much money is spent in comparison to other private D3's across the MA region.  I know it was discussed previously with CNU and Swarthmore in a post a few weeks back.   

Bottom line is you can have all of the support and backing you want, but you need to have the right kids in a given program.  Right doesn't mean best. 

Additionally, Hartford is not going to look at the Landmark.  They are in central CT, and will identify with the NE schools, all of which are closer than rides to Scranton, DC, and Western PA.  Might be a school that U of S matches up with for NC games across some sports...

Some excellent points here. There really is not a major difference in school recognition and coverage in terms of D3 and LOW D1 schools like Niagara, Rider, Lafayette, Fairleigh Dickinson, Mount St. Mary's, etc. - unless one of those schools makes a major tournament.

I think when its all said and done, the preference would be for Scranton to continue elevating to become the best possible D3 program - and they have done a really good job leading the Landmark Conference - but we all want to see more marketing and better student and alumni engagement. Be the ABSOLUTE best in show across the board in terms of D3 facilities, branding, athlete marketing, student / alum engagement, social media, etc. and that's all you need, especially with the gap widening between the power 5 schools and the D1 mid-majors

However, if I got an e-mail from Scranton tomorrow that said the school aims to go D1 and join the NEC in 5 years, I'd be super excited and donate a ton. I just want Scranton to get as much appreciation and recognition and growth as possible.

NJRoyal137

Quote from: NEPAFAN on May 10, 2021, 12:41:14 PM
Quote from: Great Day to be a Royal on May 10, 2021, 08:51:54 AM
I never can make sense of where the Scranton D1 talk comes from.  Is this just hopes of some?  There has been nothing news wise that would lead anyone to believe they would ever make that jump, nor want to.  I also wonder why given the state of D1, anyone would want to make that jump.

I believe it is hopes. Same that have been expressed about more emphasis on Athletics from the University in general.

This. For me, it is hopes + reading some of the tea leaves. They made a heck of an investment in the facilities a few years back and with a few more tweaks to the Long Center, everything is on par with the NEC and MAAC for the most part.

ronk

There's a 2-min video of the incoming Royals recruits on twitter under Scranton Basketball.

NJRoyal137

Quote from: ronk on May 11, 2021, 12:25:53 AM
There's a 2-min video of the incoming Royals recruits on twitter under Scranton Basketball.

the video was sort of low production value but the recruiting class looks GREAT!

Royals85

Nice video!!!Great job Coachs on recruiting looks like alot of talent in this class.Cant wait to see you play on the courts again!!,Wish you the best Royals and Lady Royals.Long Center can be jumping again with Jumpin Jack Flash

NEPAFAN

why not have a pack the Long Center event for the first game of the year? Celebrate the re-opening of normal activities and get a little juice going.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

NEPAFAN

Congrats to Scranton Baseball on it's first ever conference championship in Baseball and ticket punched to the College World Series. What a shot in the arm this program has gotten since us old timers were there. The seniors missed their graduation to participate in the game, I am sure that memory will last a lifetime and is a bit more exciting than graduation.

Future looks bright.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Quote from: NEPAFAN on May 24, 2021, 08:41:00 AM
Congrats to Scranton Baseball on it's first ever conference championship in Baseball and ticket punched to the College World Series. What a shot in the arm this program has gotten since us old timers were there. The seniors missed their graduation to participate in the game, I am sure that memory will last a lifetime and is a bit more exciting than graduation.

Future looks bright.

Congrats, indeed! 
  Just wondering if the NCAA subsidizes the trip - 20-some team members traveling 1000s of miles?

NJRoyal137

Quote from: NEPAFAN on May 24, 2021, 08:41:00 AM

Future looks bright.

this program could give some D2 and D1 schools a run for their money. That new athletics complex is paying off big!

saratoga

Congrats indeed!
Yes, the NCAA picks up the entire tab.
This memory will stay with these kids long after any graduation speeches.
There are some exceptional baseball teams in this tournament but this is a tremendous first step.

ronk

Release from athletic dept: The Royals are the No. 6 seed in the region and will battle top seeded St. Thomas (Minnesota) who enters the tournament at 29-7 at a time to be determined on Thursday.

Doesn't sound like a seeded tournament: #6(Scranton) should play  #3(York), not #1(St. Thomas)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on May 24, 2021, 03:29:28 PM
Release from athletic dept: The Royals are the No. 6 seed in the region and will battle top seeded St. Thomas (Minnesota) who enters the tournament at 29-7 at a time to be determined on Thursday.

Doesn't sound like a seeded tournament: #6(Scranton) should play  #3(York), not #1(St. Thomas)

It's a six-team double elimination tournament for regionals - then they take the eight regional winners to the final tournament.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 24, 2021, 04:19:37 PM

It's a six-team double elimination tournament for regionals - then they take the eight regional winners to the final tournament.

Yes, and, in a 6-team regional, 1 & 2 should get byes, 3 should play 6 and 4 play 5 in the 1st round. Then 1 plays the 4/5 winner and 2 plays the 3/6 winner in the next round of the winner's bracket.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on May 24, 2021, 04:44:09 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 24, 2021, 04:19:37 PM

Yes, and, in a 6-team regional, 1 & 2 should get byes, 3 should play 6 and 4 play 5 in the 1st round. Then 1 plays the 4/5 winner and 2 plays the 3/6 winner in the next round of the winner's bracket.

Because its double elimination, they don't do byes - well at least in the first round.  The winner of the 1-6 game gets to wait and play the winner of the 2-5 and 3-4 losers, which is where they get the advantage of being the #1.  Kind of like a second round bye.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere