Author Topic: MLB Topics  (Read 82861 times)

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Topics
« Reply #300 on: April 02, 2021, 08:58:19 pm »
I totally agree with you about this BS rule.  If they shift, go with the old-timers motto: hit 'em where they ain't!  Instead of an unenforcible (and wildly subjective) rule about defensive shifts, why not just add 2-3 extra fielders? (That's known as sarcasm, folks! ;))  COMPLETE BS!!

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 02, 2021, 09:12:24 pm »
Back to MLB.  The first HR of this season came yesterday by my man Miggy! ;D  It occurred during a snow flurry so strong that neither Miggy, the outfielders, or the umpires were sure whether or not it was a HR!  It bounced back onto the field, so Miggy went from a trot to a sprint and slid into second.  After about a minute, it was officially ruled a HR, and the 2nd base umpire told Miggy to get up and trot on home!  That (plus Matt Boyd having a 5.2 inning outing of shut-out ball) bodes well for Detroit exceeding (dismal) expectations.  I'm gonna be wildly optimistic and predict c. .500 rather than the last place nearly everyone else is predicting.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 06, 2021, 06:37:58 pm »
Since opening day, Miggy has shown his age.  My new favorite Tiger (tentative - don't want to commit after only 8 at bats!) is Akil Baddoo.  Akil was a Minnesota Twins draft choice stuck in Single A.  The Tigers apparently saw something in him and selected him the draft.  He was so impressive in spring training, that he was on the major league roster.  On Sunday, he hit a HR on the first pitch he ever saw above class A.  On Monday, he hit a grand slam against his former organization (but the Tigers were down 16-1 at the time, so the Twins were probably not particularly worried).  Today, he entered as a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the tenth and singled in the winning run. ;D

I suspect the Twins are wondering "what the f*** have we ignored! :o