NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldNed

Quote from: nescac1 on April 14, 2021, 08:07:00 PM
Seems like Giammatei is playing in Ireland?  Does that mean he can no longer play for Amherst?

https://www.football24.news/uefa-europa-league/189882/legionaries-german-giammatei-the-salvadoran-forward-who-signed-and-is-a-new-player-for-dundalk-fc-from-ireland-who-played-in-the-europa-league-this-year.html

Seems that way to me, but I have no idea how that all works.  Interestingly, Dundalk is playing him as a defender, which surprised me.

nescac1

Giammattei is listed on the Dudalk website (scroll down in the below link), so I imagine it's safe to say that his college career is over.  Pretty cool to end up in the Irish Premier League, I imagine that is quite competitive ... tough luck for Amherst, of course, to (likely due to COVID) lose two years of (I imagine) the most talented player they have ever had.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/first-team/

Ommadawn

Quote from: OldNed on April 14, 2021, 08:14:09 PM
Quote from: nescac1 on April 14, 2021, 08:07:00 PM
Seems like Giammatei is playing in Ireland?  Does that mean he can no longer play for Amherst?

https://www.football24.news/uefa-europa-league/189882/legionaries-german-giammatei-the-salvadoran-forward-who-signed-and-is-a-new-player-for-dundalk-fc-from-ireland-who-played-in-the-europa-league-this-year.html

Seems that way to me, but I have no idea how that all works.  Interestingly, Dundalk is playing him as a defender, which surprised me.

I think it's possible that he can return to play for Amherst if he isn't accepting a salary.

amh63

Amherst is constructing two new fields now...both will be ready for the fall.  The two fields are between the softball field and the football field.  Gooding field will become a multipurpose field with stands lights, etc.  Both men's and women's soccer teams will have an option to practice and play when the present grass fields are not available due to weather, etc.
The field hockey team will have a new field built....between Gooding field and the softball field.  Lights, stands, scoreboard, etc...top of line surface, etc.  Both fields will be ready by the fall.
Write-up on the Amherst athletic site.

d4_Pace

nescac1

Wow, that's obviously huge new for Amherst ... in that case, he's in line for an absolutely massive end to his college career, with the added experience from playing professionally while other guys were mostly sitting out.  He's going to be very tough to stop, as will Amherst. 

d4_Pace

You hate to see it

blooter442

It's crazy to think at how good Giammattei is and realize that there are kids playing in the Premier League at his age (Trent A-A was 20 when the corner was taken quickly and Rashford was 18 when he scored braces on his EL and PL debuts). But, getting into the consciousness of the European coaches is always a good step if you want to go that route. It's amazing how many players with storied careers started out because X scout or Y coach was at a game to watch someone else but then someone else stole the show and made an impression. Training with the first team of a Europa League club is a great way to make an impression.

SlideTackle

Quote from: amh63 on April 23, 2021, 09:40:32 PM
Amherst is constructing two new fields now...both will be ready for the fall.  The two fields are between the softball field and the football field.  Gooding field will become a multipurpose field with stands lights, etc.  Both men's and women's soccer teams will have an option to practice and play when the present grass fields are not available due to weather, etc.
The field hockey team will have a new field built....between Gooding field and the softball field.  Lights, stands, scoreboard, etc...top of line surface, etc.  Both fields will be ready by the fall.
Write-up on the Amherst athletic site.

Jackson Field at Wesleyan is being replaced with a new grass field.

College Soccer Observer

D3 update from Illinois State Cup. FC United from Chicago completed an undefeated run to the title.  The team featured a number of D3 players, including 4 from the NESCAC.  Quinn Ackman from Trinity, Ryan Grady, Aidan Pape, and Andrew Juarez from Middlebury all played key roles, as did Joey Mertens from Kenyon, Michael Groza from Wheaton (IL), Nolan Ehlers from Wisconsin-Whitewater, and Aidan Crowder & Jhovany Guadarrama from Carthage College (WI).  The team also inclued incoming Kenyon freshman Alem Duratovic.  The teams they defeated included players from Ohio State, DePaul, Loyola, Wisconsin, and Bradley. A great advertisement for the quality of D3 soccer and a great way to whet the appetite for the 2021 season!

College Soccer Observer

Quote from: College Soccer Observer on June 12, 2021, 10:45:36 PM
D3 update from Illinois State Cup. FC United from Chicago completed an undefeated run to the title.  The team featured a number of D3 players, including 4 from the NESCAC.  Quinn Ackman from Trinity, Ryan Grady, Aidan Pape, and Andrew Juarez from Middlebury all played key roles, as did Joey Mertens from Kenyon, Michael Groza from Wheaton (IL), Nolan Ehlers from Wisconsin-Whitewater, and Aidan Crowder & Jhovany Guadarrama from Carthage College (WI).  The team also inclued incoming Kenyon freshman Alem Duratovic.  The teams they defeated included players from Ohio State, DePaul, Loyola, Wisconsin, and Bradley. A great advertisement for the quality of D3 soccer and a great way to whet the appetite for the 2021 season!
Forgot one:  Ben Sollinger from Johns Hopkins.

blooter442

Quote from: SlideTackle on June 09, 2021, 06:44:36 PM

I'm not familiar with the quality of the surface, but based on the video feeds and the commentary around the forums, this is a justified upgrade.

hiyasoccer

Quote from: blooter442 on June 23, 2021, 09:47:28 AM
Quote from: SlideTackle on June 09, 2021, 06:44:36 PM

I'm not familiar with the quality of the surface, but based on the video feeds and the commentary around the forums, this is a justified upgrade.

That field sucked bad. Pretty easily worst remaining in NESCAC.

d4_Pace

Yeah that field would be disappointing for a middle school glad to see they are finally fixing it.

Hiya what was your ranking of best fields in the NESCAC?

I'll give mine a shot for nostalgia sake...

1) Williams-nice, massive grass field. Downside I was always distracted looking at the mountains. For me easily the best setup.
2) Bowdoin-another nice grass field. Downside never winning there.
3) Trinity-New trinity very nice. Old trinity field had the whole tree trunk that was technically inbounds. So that lead to some interesting scenarios
4) Tufts-Solid average turf field. I think given the money being invested in the school and the success of the program the field should be upgraded to a more soccer specific turf without all the other lines. We'll see.
5) Middlbebury-similar turf to Tufts, with worse weather and a much better view.
6) Hamilton-Solid, pretty average. Not much stands out
7) Colby-never played on the new field so may be higher now.
8) Amherst-Intentionally grow the grass way too long and made the field as small as possible. Watching them run down the hill screaming was entertaining at least.
9) Conn Field is absolutely terrible but they always had awesome crowds for homecoming
10) Bates-This field is an embarrassment to the conference and I'm sure plenty of players have gotten hurt there as a result.
11) Wesleyan-somehow was even worse than Bates