FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSCpanthers

Yeah, bonehead move, I got Rhodes in there now.  It may be a Berry world, but only by inches and seconds.  They scored the go ahead TD against BSC with 11 seconds to go, Centre took them to OT where Berry went for 2 in the first OT to win by 1, and they miss going into OT with Hendrix off a missed extra point that bounced off the upright if I remember correctly. 

Normal season next year should be a lot of fun. Between Berry, BSC, Centre, Hendrix and Trinity, it's really any of theirs to take.

ITH radio

Most entertaining / best brand of D3FB so far this spring season IMO. A lot of fun to watch and cover.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Ron Boerger

This week's ATN Podcast is full of great SAA content.   Among other things:

• Hendrix Coach Buck Buchanan on 'oh yes we can do Spring in pads, we just proved it'
  • Berry Coach Tony Kunczewski about his team's spring
  • Trinity Coach Jerheme Urban on *his* team's spring
  • and a feature on Berry's Justus Edwards, where he is now, what's he's doing to get stronger and what he's doing with his foundation.

There's more, see the link above for details and the link to the podcast which clocks in at about an hour.

Thanks for the love and respect for the conference, Pat.   Wish we had a few more folks here to appreciate the work you've put in. 

Pat Coleman

I appreciate you saying that. I suppose I should have handed out D3football.com/D3boards.com flyers at the games!

As I said in the podcast, it was fun just to be there and walk the sidelines on a day when I could really focus on the games at hand and not have to also be distracted by keeping the scoreboard and Twitter updated on another hundred games elsewhere.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

SAA announced all-conference teams today.

Offensive POTYs:  Aaron Rideaux of Austin and Robert Shufford of Birmingham-Southern
Defensive POTYs:  Campbell Miller of Trinity and Clayton Bell of Centre
Newcomers OTY:  James Ogunrin of Trinity and Trentin Dupper of Centre
Special Team POTYs:  Michael Edmonson of Trinity and Brock Skinner of Berry
Coach of the Year:  Tony Kunczeski, Berry

Despite being named co-POTY, Trinity's Campbell Miller was not one of the four DLs named  first team all-SAA.

There were 14 players named 1st team offense, 13 named 1st team defense, 27 named 2nd team offense, 37 named 2nd team defense.   No explanation as to the critieria for selection was provided; perhaps they took the top so many at each position and ties for first string and everyone else who exceeded a threshold of votes (or received votes) for second.

Berry (4-0):  8 1st team, 9 2nd team; COTY, 1 POTY
BSC (2-2):   5 1st team, 13 2nd team; 1 POTY
Centre (2-2):  4 1st team, 9 2nd team; 2 POTY
Hendrix (3-1): 3 1st team, 10 2nd team
Trinity (3-1):  3 1st team, 7 2nd team; 3 POTY
Austin (1-3):  4 1st team, 5 2nd team; 1 POTY
Millsaps (1-3):  11 2nd team
Rhodes (0-4):  no recognition

BSCpanthers

Sewanee played one of their two spring games yesterday.  Lost to Greensboro 24-21.

They play Brevard next weekend.  Glad they got those guys a couple games to play, ready for a normal season in the fall.

awadelewis

It was good to see our team to get some time on the field.   It's been a rather messed up semester on the Mountain this year.

The Tigers weren't able to capitalize on some late opportunities to take back the lead late in the game.

I agree, really am ready for a normal season in the Fall!

Quote from: BSCpanthers on April 04, 2021, 10:54:45 AM
Sewanee played one of their two spring games yesterday.  Lost to Greensboro 24-21.

They play Brevard next weekend.  Glad they got those guys a couple games to play, ready for a normal season in the fall.

Ron Boerger

Trinity has posted their schedule for the fall.  The Tigers open at home with McMurry (TX) followed by Macalester, then visit Texas Lutheran.  The SAA season starts with a bang (again) at Berry.

That's quite a trip for the Scots and I hope Trinity returns the favor the following season.

albatross

After the season-ending tournament this spring I've been thinking how cool it would be to have an end-of season crossover with another conference for the non-tournament qualifying teams. SAA and USA South makes the most sense to me based on region, parity, and academic profiles (considering these ventures always require alignment at the presidential/chancellor level)...but of course ASC and ODAC could work, too...

awadelewis

Not exactly football-related but I know many of you who have traveled to The Mountain for football have stayed or eaten at Jim Oliver's Smokehouse in Monteagle.   They suffered a major fire on their property today with what looks to be a total loss of their restaurant and damage to one of their motel buildings.   I've not heard of any injuries and I'm praying for the folks who may have lost their livelihoods today.      Here's a wish that they are able to recover and rebuild.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: albatross on April 26, 2021, 01:12:56 PM
After the season-ending tournament this spring I've been thinking how cool it would be to have an end-of season crossover with another conference for the non-tournament qualifying teams. SAA and USA South makes the most sense to me based on region, parity, and academic profiles (considering these ventures always require alignment at the presidential/chancellor level)...but of course ASC and ODAC could work, too...

This is an interesting idea and I wonder how you could make it work with the NCAA restricting teams to ten regular-season games ... then remembered that there are these ECAC "bowl games" that allow non-qualifying teams to have a post-season.   

BSCpanthers

BSC plays their spring game today at 4:00.  I'm ready to see the boys on the field at home, since we only had one home game during the season.  I'll be on the Hilltop this afternoon, getting sun burned I'm sure.

BSCpanthers

Rhodes has hired current Berry OC Rich Duncan as their new HC in football.  It will be interesting to see how Rhodes gets better and if Berry stumbles a bit on offense with Duncan gone.  He has been the OC at Berry for the past 8 seasons. 

BerryViking92

Man hate to see Coach Duncan, and his play calling, go.  Best of luck to him at Rhodes ... I wonder who will get the OC job??

HookEmVikes

Quote from: BerryViking92 on May 06, 2021, 10:05:59 AM
Man hate to see Coach Duncan, and his play calling, go.  Best of luck to him at Rhodes ... I wonder who will get the OC job??

I believe Coach Colin Duling will get the nod as OC and an OLine coach will be hired to take Coach Duncan's place