Regional Realignment

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), February 27, 2013, 07:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The Atlantic will be adding 18 (10 CSAC and 8 MACF) and losing Merchant Marine for a net of +17. 

They've currently got 31 member (both agree), so they will move to 48, which is 7 ranking spots.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Finally, the East has 38 teams (by NCAA, 39 by d3hoops, the difference is likely Houghton).  They'll be losing 2 AMCC schools and adding 5 NEAC school for a net of +3.

That will leave a total of 41 (or 42 once Houghton is a full member).  In either case, it's six ranking spots.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Penn State-Harrisburg, Christopher Newport, and Southern Virginia will be added to the CAC.  That will change a few things.

Harrisburg won't be going to the East with the NEAC; Christopher Newport will be coming to the Mid-Atlantic from the South and Southern Virginia is provisional and not on any lists yet.

So what we're looking at:

Northeast - 12 now, 12 then
East - 6 now, 6 then (although adding a net of two teams)
Atlantic - 5 now, 7 then (adding a net of 17 teams)
Mid-Atlantic - 9 now, 6 then (losing a net of 24 teams)
South - 8 now, 8 then (net change of 0)
Great Lakes - 6 now, 9 then (gaining 17)
Midwest - 8 now, 8 then (net change of 0)
West - 9 now, 7 then (net loss of 11)

There are some provisional schools that have to fill in there, so the numbers might change a little, but this should be the new picture for regional rankings.  Clearly the Atlantic and Great Lakes are getting larger at the expense of the Mid-Atlantic and West, but it should help all regions in the end (except the NE, which stays exactly the same).

monsoon

Dave/Pat,

When you had Mike DeWitt on Hoopsville earlier in the week, I was pleased that you raised the issue of possibly adding "adjoining states" to the regional criteria, as is already the case in D2.  Can I assume that that is a separate issue and was not something discussed in this realignment process?

Pat Coleman

Correct -- expanding the definition of a regional game is not related to this work.

Thanks for the note on Cornell. Thought I had gotten all of those moving parts right, but I guess not.

Keep in mind that the AMCC move is set and goes into effect next academic year, while the rest needs one more sign-off and doesn't go into effect until the following year.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: monsoon on February 27, 2013, 01:08:30 PM
Dave/Pat,

When you had Mike DeWitt on Hoopsville earlier in the week, I was pleased that you raised the issue of possibly adding "adjoining states" to the regional criteria, as is already the case in D2.  Can I assume that that is a separate issue and was not something discussed in this realignment process?

They'll be getting Indiana with this regional realignment.  I think all the Indiana schools are moving to the GL region.

Thanks for the reminder, Pat, it is two years on, not next year - so there very well could be more conference realignment before all is said and done.

Pat Coleman

But now many HCAC/CCIW games will be out of region, so adjacent-states could still be useful there, and definitely for CCIW/MIAA games.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 27, 2013, 01:53:45 PM
But now many HCAC/CCIW games will be out of region, so adjacent-states could still be useful there, and definitely for CCIW/MIAA games.

But it won't matter with the new 70% rule, right?  Is that a done deal for next year or still tentative?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 27, 2013, 01:57:46 PM

But it won't matter with the new 70% rule, right?  Is that a done deal for next year or still tentative?

Especially for MIAA teams it could greatly assist reaching 70% in the first place.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 27, 2013, 02:05:14 PM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 27, 2013, 01:57:46 PM

Especially for MIAA teams it could greatly assist reaching 70% in the first place.

Yes, this.

Ralph Turner

The adjacent states rule helps because Indiana and Michigan are Administrative Region #3.  IL and WI are Admin #4.

Ohio (Admin #3) would pick up Pennsylvania (Admin #2) for distances greater than 200 miles!

UOzarks and Hendrix pickup Missouri (most SLIAC schools), a really big help to them out on the isolated corners of every regional configuration that we have, and more than 200 miles from almost everyone!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA is going to accept and possibly allow exceptions to the 70% rule... and I wouldn't be surprised if Hope and Calvin were given one for one year... but they aren't going to get them that often. Teams like Nebraska Wesleyan and Colorado College (who doesn't need it technically with conference play) are going to be those filing for the exemptions.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2013, 03:31:07 PM
The NCAA is going to accept and possibly allow exceptions to the 70% rule... and I wouldn't be surprised if Hope and Calvin were given one for one year... but they aren't going to get them that often. Teams like Nebraska Wesleyan and Colorado College (who doesn't need it technically with conference play) are going to be those filing for the exemptions.

It's only 4 games beyond MIAA conference play.  That's not too tall and order.  It seems pretty fair and it will only get easier after next year.

sac

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 27, 2013, 03:40:50 PM

It's only 4 games beyond MIAA conference play.  That's not too tall and order.  It seems pretty fair and it will only get easier after next year.

You would think, but historically that's not been the case.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: sac on February 27, 2013, 03:43:36 PM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 27, 2013, 03:40:50 PM

You would think, but historically that's not been the case.

Calvin managed six this year, plus two in the conference tournament.  If you assume they're going to get one conference tournament game in any year where it will matter for national tournament selection they only need three non-conference regional games.

I just don't think it's too outrageous to ask.