CAC 2019

Started by Ejay, July 19, 2018, 04:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 26, 2020, 03:03:13 PM
Yep. As I said on one of the men's basketball boards, this is a gold-star day for Ken Massey, as his computer algorithm is now an integral part of the official D3 landscape.

To be clear, ACAA was using it already for this exact purpose.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

The ACAA didn't have an autobid.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 26, 2020, 04:39:11 PM

No ... but only half of this model will use the Massey (the other half conference games) and the autobid still is decided via actual games played, not handed out via Massey.

Though, some conferences do have back-up plans if necessary that I think use Massey to help decide bids/seeding.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 26, 2020, 05:13:23 PM

No ... but only half of this model will use the Massey (the other half conference games) and the autobid still is decided via actual games played, not handed out via Massey.

I didn't say it was handed out via Massey. I said that it's now an integral part of the official D3 landscape -- which it is, because it's now a determining factor in who gets the chance to play in the CAC tourney for that autobid.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 26, 2020, 06:31:23 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 26, 2020, 05:13:23 PM

I didn't say it was handed out via Massey. I said that it's now an integral part of the official D3 landscape -- which it is, because it's now a determining factor in who gets the chance to play in the CAC tourney for that autobid.

I'm simply saying this isn't new. The ACAA had it as part of the plan and if they ever had achieved AQ status in sports this would already be the case. And I know other conferences that use Massey (and other things like D3hoops.com Top 25 poll and regional rankings, SOS, etc.) in their tie-breaker rules.

I just don't think this is significant when it already existed.

Gregory Sager

It is part of the official, every-year process with which a league is choosing its competitors for the AQ, which is new (and the ACAA example is irrelevant, because the ACAA never had an AQ and that "league" no longer exists), and it will continue to be a part of the process for as long as the CAC has this setup. And it's not an obscure, well-down-the-line tiebreaker, either -- this is something that the league will use every season for every sport. Tiebreakers don't come into play every year in every sport like this will.

Do you want to keep playing ping-pong over something that I originally posted tongue-in-cheek, Dave, or are we ready to move on?

PaulNewman

No clue what you two are going 'round about, but please don't stop.  I haven't had any sports to watch since the night the NBA shut down.

Ejay

Beginning with the 2021-22 academic year, seeding in conference tournaments will be done solely by the Massey Ratings. The host institution is automatically invited to the championship tournament in both years.

I would be surprised if 3 of the 4 every year are not CNU, UMW and Salisbury.  And UCSC will be robbed when either Finlandia or Pratt host, which I guess would be year 4.

Last year's Massey Ratings:

CNU - 16
UMW - 18
St. Mary's - 44 (leaving in 21)
Salisbury - 89
S. VA - 381 (leaving in 21)

UC Santa Cruz - 116
Pine Minor - 158 (leaving in 21)
Finlandia - 410
Pratt - 418

Gregory Sager

Quote from: PaulNewman on May 27, 2020, 04:41:23 PM
No clue what you two are going 'round about, but please don't stop.  I haven't had any sports to watch since the night the NBA shut down.

Actually, Dave's now got a major D3 news story to cover with the big announcement in the MIAC today, so I doubt he'll be wasting his time on the likes of me anymore. ;)

PaulNewman

Absolutely not.  The definitive final word is not even close to being decided.  FWIW, I've got you well ahead on points, but will your stamina abandon you in the last 2-3 rounds? 

Gregory Sager

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 27, 2020, 03:28:33 PM
It is part of the official, every-year process with which a league is choosing its competitors for the AQ, which is new (and the ACAA example is irrelevant, because the ACAA never had an AQ and that "league" no longer exists), and it will continue to be a part of the process for as long as the CAC has this setup. And it's not an obscure, well-down-the-line tiebreaker, either -- this is something that the league will use every season for every sport. Tiebreakers don't come into play every year in every sport like this will.

Do you want to keep playing ping-pong over something that I originally posted tongue-in-cheek, Dave, or are we ready to move on?

I didn't realize you were saying something with the tongue-in-cheek. Not your norm usually. If I had picked up on that earlier ... I would have better understood.

And yes, I am still busy with the CAC/ACAA thing (amazing how many people then start believing rumors of other movements, some of which are not even allowed under NCAA rule) and the MIAC thing (don't get me started).

Plus ... I'm trying to figure out if unemployment will ever pay me (I haven't worked since March 11) and I have to make a challenging decision per work coming up.

I rather be doing a lot of other things right now ...

Flying Weasel

So the CAC, after absorbing the ACAA, rebrands as the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C).

https://adobe.ly/36J4OCs

https://vimeo.com/478382828

https://www.c2csports.com/landing/index

The C2C has a slick presentation and graphic identity, but it still is what it is.