Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhoopstalk

Quote from: stlawus on April 13, 2020, 09:27:34 PM
Ithaca loses some firepower along with Mullins retiring, but I bet they'll be fine with Burton at the helm.  They won't miss too big of a beat.    Next year is going to be interesting.   RPI and Hobart should be top dog, and Union only loses one player.  I can't imagine Skidmore will be as poor as they were this year.   My alma mater did not have a great season but they were quite young and affected by injuries all year, including one who was supposed to be the starting center.   Doesn't hurt to have the last 2 LL rookies of the year in the starting squad next season.    I'd keep an eye out for Clarkson next year too.

I believe this infusion of youth will propel Ithaca to becoming a major player in the LL/East Region for years to come. Between the campus and facilities at Ithaca, there is plenty of reason for top D3 prospects to consider playing basketball for the Bombers. I believe recruiting took a bit of a step back the last couple of years there; maybe this will inject some life into their recruiting efforts.

Greek Tragedy

Ithaca is definitely a beautiful campus and located with some great scenery.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

stlawus

Nice to see some more local talent commit to SLU.    https://www.nny360.com/sports/highschoolsports/high-school-basketball-macaulay-brothers-commit-to-st-lawrence-university/article_fb363596-002a-505f-bceb-c154db0769f1.html    I was hoping Downs would try to recruit them but I thought they might get some lower end D1 offers or get snagged by Coach Bechtel at Potsdam.   One hallmark of any good SLU team in the past has usually been a local face or two on the roster.  Bardeschewski in '98, Sharlow, Shaver and Augliano in '07, J. Sharlow, G. Sharlow and Parham in '09 and '10 etc.

There's a pretty big haul of fresh faces coming into Canton next year.  Now at least 4 newcomers next year by my count, not including the minimum of 2 that were part of this season's recruiting. 

stlawus

Some Liberty League action tomorrow night with Clarkson making the trip to Burkman Gymnasium.   I've had my guesses as to how many players SLU would have for this year and I was largely right.  There are only 8 players on the roster.   Several players that did not get much playing time last year which is what I thought would be the case.  2 starters from last year, with Hicks being the most notable roster inclusion.   He did a post grad year though so I can see why he wouldn't want to take a whole year off.  With the amount of recruits coming in next year there is going to be a pretty big roster next season.

Caz Bombers

Sean Burton resigns from IC effective immediately, per The Ithacan. That seems less than great.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Caz Bombers on April 26, 2021, 08:26:54 PM
Sean Burton resigns from IC effective immediately, per The Ithacan. That seems less than great.

He never coached a game, right?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 26, 2021, 08:35:23 PM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on April 26, 2021, 08:26:54 PM

He never coached a game, right?

unblemished in any way 0-0 career record

Caz Bombers

IC's new head coach is Waleed Farid, head coach for the past 4 seasons (plus the 1-game 20-21 not-exactly-a-season) at Hartwick.

In my head he had won a lot of games there but looks like it was mostly his predecessor that did the winning. In fairness, almost nobody in any sport can win at Hartwick. Hopefully he can do a little more with a little bigger budget program.

stlawus

I totally missed it a few weeks ago, but looks like even SLU got in on the transfer portal action.   Niagara walk-on Will Engelhardt will suit up for the scarlet and brown this coming season, a great get by Downs. 

stlawus

Getting close to that time folks.  Practices start up in just under a month.   Should be quite an interesting and entertaining season.   Many teams have their schedules up already.    One thing I have noticed is that Dan Masino from Hobart is now at Rochester as a grad student.   An unfortunate covid year casualty for the Statesmen as Hobart fans do not need to be reminded at how critical a piece to their team Masino was. 

RPI is likely the favorites to start.  They lost 2 starters but still have arguably the best player in the league (assuming Mahoney returns this season as he was a senior last year). 

stlawus

Not much chatter on here yet so I'll try and start things off this season with my way too early preseason prediction:

1. RPI
2. Hobart
3. SLU
4. Union
5. Ithaca
6. Skidmore
7. RIT
8. Vassar
9. Clarkson
10. Bard

Greek Tragedy

Dan Masino will be a big loss. I presume Hobart didn't have a graduate program for him?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

stlawus

So what is the mask policy for DIII games in NY?  Keuka and Hobart no masks, Alfred-Brockport are wearing masks, Union and Hartwick are wearing masks.   Is this an institution rule? 

Caz Bombers

it's going to vary institution by institution and you're just going to have to get used to it.

3-0 start for the LL as Bard, Hobart and Union all record road wins. Bard with the opportunity to make it 2-0 tomorrow.

d3d3d3

Caz is right: Each institution can decide what the rules are on their campus. At most Liberty League schools, the players don't have to be masked, but the fans do. And these institutions make those decisions based on what the COVID numbers are both on campus and in the communities the campuses are in.