MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Really enjoyed listening to the call of the BC at W&L game. I've tuned into a few other W&L games in the last few years and had that reaction, so I assume It's been the same announcer. Down by 19 BC cut it to 6 when W&L had a stretch of turnovers. Then BC seemed to start taking defense seriously but couldn't capitalize on subsequent chances to further close the gap. W&L plays a great up tempo game with excellent off the ball movement and quick passing finding open guys, so no surprise that they are scoring a lot of points. Opponent's players are going to have to take their defensive assignments seriously against the Generals and it will help to have eyes in the back of their heads. The announcer said this is the best ODAC start for W&L since '88-'89 when they went to 6-0 before losing. The Generals go to RMC next Saturday. Jackets better be ready. In between RMC goes to BC, which won't be easy as the Eagles looked pretty good, too.

jknezek

Yeah. That 88-89 team started 6-0 and finished 10-2 in conference. That was toward the tail end of Coach Canfield's tenure. Canfield went 460-337, a .577 percent winning percentage, over 30 years from '64 to '95. He left just before my time, and his last couple years weren't so pretty, but the man had a heck of a career at W&L. Of the next 3 coaches, Hutchinson did best by far, lasting 14 seasons at a .417 winning percentage, but the program itself languished to a 203-363 record, a .3586 winning percentage.

Even worse, since that 88/89 team, W&L has only finished over .500 in the ODAC one time, the 2007-08 season when they went 11-7. Coach Hutchinson had 5 of his 14 seasons at .500 or better overall, but ODAC success was limited. I'm hopeful the Generals under Coach McHugh, who was a junior on our recent ODAC high water mark, can make it a regular occurrence. 

Heck, at 1164-1190-1 for the length of the program, a decade averaging a couple games over .500 season would push the Generals back to even for the program history. A worthy goal for an alumnus coach.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 06, 2018, 07:31:39 PM
In the game between two 3-0 teams E&H goes to 4-0 at home over VWU. Both 0-3 teams lost at home -- Randolph to RMC and EMU to GC. HSC lost at SU. Tomorrow we find out if W&L can go to 4-0 for the first time in XX years when they host BC.

Forgot to mention here that Lynchburg beat Roanoke on Saturday. Three teams now 4-0 -- EH, WL, RMC. Two teams 0-4 -- EMU and Randolph. VWU is the only one loss team. All others with 2 or 3 losses.

Seatfiller

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 08, 2018, 09:45:13 AM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 06, 2018, 07:31:39 PM
In the game between two 3-0 teams E&H goes to 4-0 at home over VWU. Both 0-3 teams lost at home -- Randolph to RMC and EMU to GC. HSC lost at SU. Tomorrow we find out if W&L can go to 4-0 for the first time in XX years when they host BC.

Forgot to mention here that Lynchburg beat Roanoke on Saturday. Three teams now 4-0 -- EH, WL, RMC. Two teams 0-4 -- EMU and Randolph. VWU is the only one loss team. All others with 2 or 3 losses.

I watched the entire LC at Roanoke game. It was a good game to watch, it first looked like it was going to be a blow out. LC got up 18 in the second half, but Roanoke came back and took the lead. RC got up 3 with 15 seconds left and LC hit a 3 to tie it. RC had a short mid range shot to win it, but it didn't go in and the game went into OT. It went back and forth in OT until the 1 minute mark where LC got the lead for good. Overall very entertaining game.

thehardtruth

Quote from: badcall! on December 12, 2017, 12:45:04 PM
Anyone have any idea what's going on at Bridgewater with regards to their top 2 returning scorers from last year-Saylor and Boggs?  Neither has played a minute this season yet they are both on the roster still.  I saw the JMU exhibition early in the year and they were both shirt and tie on the bench.  Injuries, suspension, discipline issues?  The loss of these 2 players has really been glaring so far for BC.

Philip Baumgartner
Jesse Case
Paul Brown
Romello Crowell
Efe Balfour
Essex Thompson
Joe Lewis
Maalik Howard
DJ Caldwell
Hunter Dotson
Cameron Thurston
Logan Seacrist
Brandon Walters
De'quan Whiting
Trenton Ray
Kevin Jones
Norman Barnes

Add to the list:
Bryce Boggs
Kevin Saylor

19 guys in 2 season have transferred to a different school or quit basketball altogether. What is the common denominator here? Shawn Postiglione. The verbal abuse and unfair treatment of players has led to poor team chemistry and mistrust between players and coaches. None of the above mentioned players deserved what they've gotten. He's forced out multiple all-ODAC quality players and has lost two more this year in Boggs and Saylor. Neither player's actions deserve the treatment they were handed and no other coach would have put them in the position he did.

Don't let their current record fool you, the state of Bridgewater basketball has ventured down a dark path.

Swish3

Quote from: thehardtruth on January 08, 2018, 01:22:38 PM
Anyone have any idea what's going on at Bridgewater with regards to their top 2 returning scorers from last year-Saylor and Boggs?  Neither has played a minute this season yet they are both on the roster still.  I saw the JMU exhibition early in the year and they were both shirt and tie on the bench.  Injuries, suspension, discipline issues?  The loss of these 2 players has really been glaring so far for BC.

Philip Baumgartner
Jesse Case
Paul Brown
Romello Crowell
Efe Balfour
Essex Thompson
Joe Lewis
Maalik Howard
DJ Caldwell
Hunter Dotson
Cameron Thurston
Logan Seacrist
Brandon Walters
De'quan Whiting
Trenton Ray
Kevin Jones
Norman Barnes

Add to the list:
Bryce Boggs
Kevin Saylor

19 guys in 2 season have transferred to a different school or quit basketball altogether. What is the common denominator here? Shawn Postiglione. The verbal abuse and unfair treatment of players has led to poor team chemistry and mistrust between players and coaches. None of the above mentioned players deserved what they've gotten. He's forced out multiple all-ODAC quality players and has lost two more this year in Boggs and Saylor. Neither player's actions deserve the treatment they were handed and no other coach would have put them in the position he did.

Don't let their current record fool you, the state of Bridgewater basketball has ventured down a dark path.

This doesn't sound like Coach Post to me...from what I know of him, I can't imagine him being verbally abusive and unfair, much less to the extent described.  I must say, though, 19 kids can't be overlooked, so something's definitely not right...I'm sure the AD is keeping a close eye on this situation.

scottiedoug

Any of you ODAC people know how long it has been since E & H got votes in the national poll?

jknezek

Quote from: scottiedoug on January 09, 2018, 11:36:51 AM
Any of you ODAC people know how long it has been since E & H got votes in the national poll?

According to the archive found here, which was pointed out to me earlier this season, never.

http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/men/archive

Seatfiller

Philip Baumgartner
Jesse Case
Paul Brown
Romello Crowell
Efe Balfour
Essex Thompson
Joe Lewis
Maalik Howard
DJ Caldwell
Hunter Dotson
Cameron Thurston
Logan Seacrist
Brandon Walters
De'quan Whiting
Trenton Ray
Kevin Jones
Norman Barnes

Add to the list:
Bryce Boggs
Kevin Saylor

19 guys in 2 seasons definitely says that something is going on.

Seatfiller

Last night RC lost to EM&H 75-73. RC couldn't get the stops down the stretch as they were up by 2 with 3 minutes left in the game. RC (1-4 in conference  :o) plays VWC at home on Saturday. By the way I played in the era when E&H regularly finished last in the conference, it's nice to see them on the up.

badcall!

Quote from: Seatfiller on January 10, 2018, 09:02:44 AM

Philip Baumgartner
Jesse Case
Paul Brown
Romello Crowell
Efe Balfour
Essex Thompson
Joe Lewis
Maalik Howard
DJ Caldwell
Hunter Dotson
Cameron Thurston
Logan Seacrist
Brandon Walters
De'quan Whiting
Trenton Ray
Kevin Jones
Norman Barnes

Add to the list:
Bryce Boggs
Kevin Saylor

19 guys in 2 seasons definitely says that something is going on.

Saylor still is on the roster but looks like Boggs has been removed. 

y_jack_lok

RMC and W&L go to 5-0 tonight (E&H got there last night) setting up a big game between them on Saturday in Ashland. I watched the last 15 minutes of RMC at BC which was very competitive. The Jackets got their largest lead at 12 with just under 13 minutes to go. BC was able to cut it to 5, but got no closer. VWU remains with one loss after a home win over SU. GC now the only 2 loss team with a home win over Randolph. LC downs HSC. EMU, with It's loss to W&L tonight is now 0-5 along with Randolph.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 10, 2018, 09:37:56 PM
RMC and W&L go to 5-0 tonight (E&H got there last night) setting up a big game between them on Saturday in Ashland. I watched the last 15 minutes of RMC at BC which was very competitive. The Jackets got their largest lead at 12 with just under 13 minutes to go. BC was able to cut it to 5, but got no closer. VWU remains with one loss after a home win over SU. GC now the only 2 loss team with a home win over Randolph. LC downs HSC. EMU, with It's loss to W&L tonight is now 0-5 along with Randolph.

To put this all in cleaner form:

5-0: E&H, RMC, W&L
4-1: VWU
3-2: GC
2-3: BC, LC, SU
1-4: Roanoke, HSC
0-5: Randolph, EMU

hasanova

Quakers played well last night and got to .500 overall and one game up in the ODAC.  Hopefully, they can finish strong down the stretch.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hasanova on January 11, 2018, 11:13:07 PM
Quakers played well last night and got to .500 overall and one game up in the ODAC.  Hopefully, they can finish strong down the stretch.

They're still in the running to win the regular season. Five of their remaining 11 games are against the 4 teams above them -- 2 vs VWU and 1 each vs E&H, RMC, and W&L. The Quakers can help themselves a lot in those games. You never know what might happen.