MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thescottharris

And for the record, tomorrow's RMC/VWU games has also been marked as a conference game. It is not. Someone at one of these two schools is really trying to force their way into the top four! ::)

y_jack_lok

Quote from: scotth on February 27, 2021, 03:02:04 PM
So the rule for minimum games rounds down, so a team needs 4, not 5, games to qualify for the top 4.

And I noticed that last night's RMC/VWU game has been marked a conference game after the fact. The rule has been all season that conference games postponed because of COVID can't be made up. Unless that rule has been changed during the middle of the season...

I wonder what the rationale for that rule is. Not that much really matters this season, including the conference tournament -- at least from my perspective. While I know it means something to the players and coaches - it's clearly not the same as a normal season. Just getting to play some games regardless of what they count for is a bit of a win under the circumstances.

Seatfiller

Quote from: scotth on February 27, 2021, 08:59:09 PM
Quote from: Seatfiller on February 27, 2021, 07:33:11 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 27, 2021, 05:50:06 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 27, 2021, 05:36:07 PM
That marking was changed by one of the participating schools, rather than the conference office, so it might not be correct.

I checked on this and it is correct that this was not a conference game.

Thanks.

Today Roanoke had a impressive win today against Bridgewater 84-41. Roanoke held Bridgewater to 6 points almost 10 minutes into the game. The conference tourney rankings come out tomorrow. Does anyone know how they're picking the rankings?
Seeds 1-4: must have played at least four conference games, seeded by win %
Seeds 5-9: random draw is what I was told. So who knows. Things are going to be crazy. Not sure there is really a fair way to do it given the lack of balance in the schedules

So...
#1 - Roanoke
#2 - Ferrum
#3 - Lynchburg
#4 - Bridgewater
#5-9 - pick a random order of R-MC, VWU, EMU, E&H, and SU

Macon and VWU won't have four conference games as their game yesterday wasn't a conference game, so that needs to be corrected on the ODAC standings. They'll each only have three ODAC games so won't qualify for the top for.

W&L would have had enough games and a good enough win % to be the #2 but they are done for the year.

E&H and SU have 7 games apiece to be eligible for top four but have the worst win % in the league.

Not sure what the format is going to be. It's a fluid situation. My best educated guess would be an 8/9 play-in game then having four quarterfinal games.

So let me get this straight the #1 D3 team in the nation might be a 9 seed. I know Roanoke is going to get stuck on whatever side of the tourney has Macon in it.

thescottharris

Quote from: Seatfiller on February 28, 2021, 11:59:21 AM
So let me get this straight the #1 D3 team in the nation might be a 9 seed.

There is a 20% chance of that happening!

Macon

Quote from: scotth on February 28, 2021, 12:20:07 PM

Except for the #8/9 slots with a play-in game, I'm not sure the rest of the seeds matter.

thescottharris

Quote from: Macon on February 28, 2021, 12:32:47 PM
Quote from: scotth on February 28, 2021, 12:20:07 PM

Except for the #8/9 slots with a play-in game, I'm not sure the rest of the seeds matter.
Agreed. All about matchups. Though I wish they could just put E&H and SU in the play-in game, winless in 7 tries and clearly the two worst teams in the league, neither deserves to avoid playing in that game.

Macon

It's bewildering to me that any two conference teams playing would not be a conference game.  Especially given the challenges of scheduling games this season.  This only leads to a totally screwed up tournament seeding.  Come on, man!  Get it together, ODAC office.  You can still fix this, just count all played games between ODAC teams as conference games.  Then, you'll have a more meaningful tournament.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Macon on February 28, 2021, 04:47:19 PM
Come on, man!  Get it together, ODAC office.

The conference office has a lot of stuff to handle to even do any of this in a pandemic. I'm not sure "get it together" is the best way to express your opinion of the rescheduling policy.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

thescottharris

Quote from: Macon on February 28, 2021, 04:47:19 PM
It's bewildering to me that any two conference teams playing would not be a conference game.  Especially given the challenges of scheduling games this season.  This only leads to a totally screwed up tournament seeding.  Come on, man!  Get it together, ODAC office.  You can still fix this, just count all played games between ODAC teams as conference games.  Then, you'll have a more meaningful tournament.
You can't change the rules now. If teams knew beforehand games could be rescheduled as ODAC games then they would have. Also, by allowing COVID cancelled games to be scheduled as ODAC games, some teams teams would conceivably just try to reschedule only the most winnable games to increase their odds of being a top four seed, thereby delegitimizing the seeding process. Everyone would be rushing to reschedule the likes of E&H and SU and maybe not trying to reschedule Macon, Roanoke, VWU, etc.

hoopstermom

Have to be Ohio State to get rules changed after the regular season is completed. ;D

Macon

Quote from: hoopstermom on March 01, 2021, 12:53:53 PM
Have to be Ohio State to get rules changed after the regular season is completed. ;D
So, it can be done!   8-)

thescottharris

VWU a late opt-out. Nothing on their website about it so I assume they had some positive tests come back.

2021 ODAC MEN'S BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT PAIRINGS AND SCHEDULE - LIVE BRACKET
Quarterfinals | Saturday, March 6 | at #1-4 Seeds *
Game 1: #8 Emory & Henry at #1 Roanoke | TBD
Game 2: #5 Randolph-Macon at #4 Bridgewater | TBD
Game 3: #7 Shenandoah at #2 Ferrum | TBD
Game 4: #6 Eastern Mennonite at #3 Lynchburg | TBD

Semifinals | Tuesday, March 9 | at Higher Seeds
Game 5: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2 | TBD
Game 6: Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4 | TBD

Championship | Thursday, March 11 | at Highest Remaining Seed
Game 7: Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6 | TBD

* The start of the men's tournament is fluid given the number of teams competing in the field and subsequent lack of first round games. The default date for quarterfinal play is Saturday, March 6. However, upon agreement of both teams in each quarterfinal matchup, those games can be played as early as Thursday, March 4 and Friday, March 5. If an earlier alternative date is not determined, the game will be played on Saturday, March 6 as originally scheduled.

Seatfiller

Quote from: scotth on March 01, 2021, 06:15:55 PM
VWU a late opt-out. Nothing on their website about it so I assume they had some positive tests come back.

* The start of the men's tournament is fluid given the number of teams competing in the field and subsequent lack of first round games. The default date for quarterfinal play is Saturday, March 6. However, upon agreement of both teams in each quarterfinal matchup, those games can be played as early as Thursday, March 4 and Friday, March 5. If an earlier alternative date is not determined, the game will be played on Saturday, March 6 as originally scheduled.

I knew Roanoke would be on the same side of the bracket as RMC. Crazy that the other side of the bracket seems to be way weaker.

thescottharris

Quote from: Seatfiller on March 01, 2021, 09:11:25 PM
Quote from: scotth on March 01, 2021, 06:15:55 PM

I knew Roanoke would be on the same side of the bracket as RMC. Crazy that the other side of the bracket seems to be way weaker.

Y'all didn't play R-MC, VWU, or Lynchburg in the regular season.

Maroons got W&L coming off a lengthy COVID pause for their first game of the season after Roanoke had been playing games with virtually no interruption for three weeks

Got Guilford, Emory & Henry, and Hampden-Sydney coming off a COVID pause.

It was also Emory & Henry's first game of the season, after Roanoke had two weeks of playing games.

Guilford only had two games under their belt, Roanoke had a whole month.

Got Bridgewater at the end of the month, after they had only been able to play in two previous games for the entire month

Barely beat a Shenandoah team who didn't win a single game, giving Shenandoah their closest margin of victory for the season

Please save me the complaining.

Seatfiller

Roanoke beats winless Southern Virginia University tonight 66-89.  For some reason they didn't post the video of the game and only had the stats up. Roanoke was up by 20 in the first 10 minutes of the game. 

Roanoke gets a winless but dangerous Emory and Henry team friday that has lost its last 2 games by a combined 5 points.