MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbpuckfan

St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

gbpuckfan

Lawrence release today. No mention of sports.

Lawrence sets plans for fall term; partners with Bellin Health for COVID-19 testing

APPLETON – Bellin Health will perform regular COVID-19 testing at Lawrence University during the coming academic year, part of a comprehensive plan for reopening the campus for fall term, university officials announced today.

The Appleton campus will open as planned for the fall term, which begins Sept. 14, with both students and faculty having the option to be on campus or remain remote. Classes will be offered in a mix of in-person and distance learning, with physical distancing requirements in place on campus.

"The university has contracted with Bellin Health to be our health care partner as we adapt as a community to living with COVID-19," Lawrence President Mark Burstein said. "They will provide on-campus testing for all community members. We are also fortunate to have long-term existing relationships with Ascension and ThedaCare health systems in the Fox Valley, who will continue to supply essential local support."

Students will be tested for COVID-19 by Bellin medical personnel when they arrive this fall and again 14 days later. Faculty and staff will be tested as they return to campus. Students, faculty, and staff living or working on campus will then need to complete a daily screening of temperature and symptoms. The university will continue to collaborate with the Appleton Health Department for contact tracing for anyone who tests positive for the virus
The academic year at Lawrence will look different than any before. Physical distancing rules will be in place and all members of the community will be required to wear masks in all indoor public spaces, including classrooms, as well as outdoor spaces where physical distancing is not possible. All members of the Lawrence community who opt to be on campus will need to sign a community pledge agreeing to follow the distancing and face-covering rules.

Lawrence's pandemic planning team consulted with health experts, both within Wisconsin and around the country, and with various faculty, students, staff, and trustees through the shared governance process, Burstein said.

"Our goal was to ensure that every Lawrentian will have the opportunity to learn, teach, and work as fully and safely as possible," he said.
For more information, see the Planning for Fall 2020 web site at Lawrence.edu: https://blogs.lawrence.edu/fall-2020/  For interview requests, contact Ed Berthiaume, director of public information, at ed.c.berthiaume@lawrence.edu or 920-228-0508.
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

PauldingLightUP

This was in the FAQ:

Will there be athletics competition at Lawrence this fall?

We understand the importance of the collegiate athletics experience to our student-athletes and our campus overall. We are working to provide a quality athletics experience for our students in the safest way possible. There has been no determination yet. We are in conversation with the Midwest Conference (MWC) office and conference colleagues to finalize a decision on fall athletics competition soon.

judgetrainer

Does anyone have any confidence we will see winter sports this school year? I have doubts.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am losing confidence on a daily basis ... but I know there is talk about plans to try and save the season (upcoming Hoopsville podcast), but we need to get a grip on things better than we are.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jaybird44

Hello friends!

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.
It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

PauldingLightUP

Dave, Pat, and Gordon when did you all make the decision to add SNC to schools that will not play winter sports? To me, the Dec. 3rd release was to vague and could've been in reference back to conference play and not their decision when it said, " St. Norbert College sports affected are..." and the autonomy mentioned. Clarity came on Monday's hockey release when "St. Norbert College will not participate in intercollegiate athletics while conditions remain uncertain. The status of our Spring 2021 sports will be evaluated on an ongoing basis." Curious how you all took everything and if you got clarity "behind the scenes" earlier in December. Thanks.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: PauldingLightUP on December 23, 2020, 12:13:23 PM
Dave, Pat, and Gordon when did you all make the decision to add SNC to schools that will not play winter sports? To me, the Dec. 3rd release was to vague and could've been in reference back to conference play and not their decision when it said, " St. Norbert College sports affected are..." and the autonomy mentioned. Clarity came on Monday's hockey release when "St. Norbert College will not participate in intercollegiate athletics while conditions remain uncertain. The status of our Spring 2021 sports will be evaluated on an ongoing basis." Curious how you all took everything and if you got clarity "behind the scenes" earlier in December. Thanks.

Dave's got some pretty solid, well-placed sources on that one.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on December 23, 2020, 04:56:16 PM
Quote from: PauldingLightUP on December 23, 2020, 12:13:23 PM

Dave's got some pretty solid, well-placed sources on that one.

Yeah - I did a few things to get to the final answer. First, if you read into what the school's plans are for the next semester and read into the release ... there is a lot you can put together that leads you to figure they are done for the season.

Using that homework, I worked to get it verified - which I did.

I also worked to get others in the conference and elsewhere based on the same process (when it isn't pretty clear in the first place).

PauldingLightUP

Somewhat unsurprising, I've heard that Lawrence won't play basketball at all this season, but both hockey teams will indeed take part in the NCHA restart in the new year announced last week.

WW

Quote from: PauldingLightUP on January 01, 2021, 02:13:41 PM
Somewhat unsurprising, I've heard that Lawrence won't play basketball at all this season, but both hockey teams will indeed take part in the NCHA restart in the new year announced last week.

It would be tough for them to go rogue at this point. Given the travel/scheduling protocols generally adopted by area basketball teams that are playing, I don't know who they'd find to play.

But kudos to them for continued efforts to get their hockey players a season.

gbpuckfan

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season technically started nearly three months ago, but it has taken until the end of January for it to start feeling like the season is really underway. Even so, only about a quarter of the division has played just a single game. Another quarter of the division will never take to the court. And in between is wide gulf of different options.

On the first video-version of Hoopsville this season, Dave McHugh is joined by much of the D3hoops.com crew, Pat Coleman and Ryan Scott, to react to what has been one of the more unique seasons ... to say it lightly.

We react to the challenges schools are facing, what coaches are grappling with on a daily basis - especially beyond games and practices, and why schools are making so many different decisions.

We also discuss what is likely the future of this season's NCAA Championship Tournaments and, more importantly, when the decision on those tournaments will be made.

Plus, will there be a Top 25? No. Well, yes. Kind of. Tune in to learn more on what's coming. Plus a lot more including Dave spinning off Pat's thoughts on those wishing to attend games.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show by clicking on the video player above. Or you can listen to the podcast available on any of the service options in the right panel.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

You can WATCH the show or listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3oASGKl or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/january

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

gbpuckfan