New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Just another of a number of impact players that decide to leave ECSU for other schools or just do not return.  URi certainly got themselves a guy who can score!  Good luck to Pat in D-1

OldNed

Caught a couple of New England games on video.  Babson crushed D2 Stonehill today 6-0. As the score indicates, Babson completely outclassed Stonehill. 

I also saw the St. Joseph's of Maine win over Maine-Fort Kent 3-2 on a late PK.  For those who aren't familiar with Maine-Fort Kent, they played in the USCAA 2019 National Championship game and they're usually a tough team with many players from the Caribbean and elsewhere.  This was a good win for St. Joe's.

It was sooo nice to be able to watch actual competitive D3 games again.

OldNed

D1 University of Hartford is transitioning to D3 Athletics by 2025:

https://www.fox61.com/article/sports/ncaa/university-of-hartford-to-transition-to-division-iii/520-e654f541-872a-416f-82f2-733b5c18f218

My wife got her Masters at UH and she still has a lot of contacts there, and she's been told this is mainly due to the shaky financial standing of UH.

Buck O.

Quote from: OldNed on May 07, 2021, 07:45:43 AM
D1 University of Hartford is transitioning to D3 Athletics by 2025:

https://www.fox61.com/article/sports/ncaa/university-of-hartford-to-transition-to-division-iii/520-e654f541-872a-416f-82f2-733b5c18f218

My wife got her Masters at UH and she still has a lot of contacts there, and she's been told this is mainly due to the shaky financial standing of UH.

Yeah, I was wondering which conference they would join. I'd think that the NEWMAC would make the most sense, even though it primarily consists of MA schools.

Stryker

[/quote]

Yeah, I was wondering which conference they would join. I'd think that the NEWMAC would make the most sense, even though it primarily consists of MA schools.
[/quote]

It would seem to me that NESCAC might be a better fit for Hartford with some local CT rivalries such as Trinity, Wesleyan and Connecticut College. Currently 11 schools in the conference so adding Hartford would even out the divisions in some of the sports.

d4_Pace

Zero chance the NESCAC would add them.

PaulNewman

I'll place a large bet on the LEC or CCC.

OldNed

Quote from: d4_Pace on May 10, 2021, 03:42:50 PM
Zero chance the NESCAC would add them.

I have to agree- UH isn't a fit for the NESCAC.  I think maybe the CCC as another poster mentioned.

Gregory Sager

I think it'll be the CCC, but I also think that it may only be a temporary home for Hartford. The northeastern corner of D3 is going to undergo a lot of conference shakeup over the next few years as more and more schools close or merge.

I don't see Hartford joining the LEC; I can't think of a single instance in D3 history in which a private school has joined a league that has always consisted of nothing but state schools.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

PaulNewman

You're right, Greg.  Makes sense.  Thanks for catching that for me.

ECSUalum

Mr.Right

Quote from: OldNed on January 08, 2021, 09:02:51 PM
Wow - it's been a while. I hope everyone is doing OK and I hope to see some D3 soccer before too long.  I no longer have a NE Soccer Journal subscription, but they just posted an article saying that Patrick Agyemang from Eastern Connecticut is transferring to Rhode Island.  Best of luck to him at Rhode Island and ECSU is definitely going to miss him.

I knew a D1 would poach the striker . That's another problem for another day but really too bad because he has a nose for the goal. His fitness now must get better as he would get tired and less active as the game got older but A10 is a weak soccer league so he should still put some in the back of the net.

OldNed

St. Joseph's (ME) tied Division 2 St. Anselm's 2-2 in preseason action.  Highlights available on the St. Joe's instagram account.  Looks like several of the St. Joe's players are taking advantage of their additional year of Covid-related eligibility, including GNAC 1st Team GK David Wallbridge.

The GNAC Preseason poll has defending conference champion Johnson & Wales as the preseason #1, closely followed by St. Joe's and Norwich.  I think Norwich may be a team to watch this year in the GNAC.

Mr.Right

Glad to hear OldNed...Always a sign of a strong program mentality to see players wanting to play if financially possible and making that sacrifice and commitment. Not an easy decision for anyone

Falconer

Quote from: Mr.Right on August 21, 2021, 02:07:29 AM
Quote from: OldNed on January 08, 2021, 09:02:51 PM
Wow - it's been a while. I hope everyone is doing OK and I hope to see some D3 soccer before too long.  I no longer have a NE Soccer Journal subscription, but they just posted an article saying that Patrick Agyemang from Eastern Connecticut is transferring to Rhode Island.  Best of luck to him at Rhode Island and ECSU is definitely going to miss him.

I knew a D1 would poach the striker . That's another problem for another day but really too bad because he has a nose for the goal. His fitness now must get better as he would get tired and less active as the game got older but A10 is a weak soccer league so he should still put some in the back of the net.

EC is on Messiah's schedule this year, for I think the first time. Obviously that was scheduled while Agyemang was still on the roster.