FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thescottharris

Quote from: Macon on February 28, 2021, 12:34:34 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on February 27, 2021, 04:21:48 PM
Tigers have their first shutout since 2013! A lot to be happy about today if you're a Tiger fan. Tigers defense only gave up 64 rushing and 88 passing yards.
I watched most of the game and I agree, HSC is a much improved team over the last several years.  Let's just hope the RMC/HSC game is played.
If both schools/teams have as many problems with COVID during football season as they did during basketball season, they'll be lucky to play more than one or two games each!

y_jack_lok

Tigers have their first shutout since 2013! A lot to be happy about today if you're a Tiger fan. Tigers defense only gave up 64 rushing and 88 passing yards.

Three of the four games played over the weekend were shutouts.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: scotth on February 28, 2021, 02:48:03 PM
Quote from: Macon on February 28, 2021, 12:34:34 PM
I watched most of the game and I agree, HSC is a much improved team over the last several years.  Let's just hope the RMC/HSC game is played.
If both schools/teams have as many problems with COVID during football season as they did during basketball season, they'll be lucky to play more than one or two games each!

Is there anything you can say that's positive? 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: y_jack_lok on March 01, 2021, 09:42:05 AM

Three of the four games played over the weekend were shutouts.

I would expect a lot of lopsided contests. To be honest, teams with the best athletes should win as they can win 1 on 1 battles. Those that rely more on precision and teamwork, which requires more practice time to develop, will probably struggle. It'll be interesting, but I've come to think of all the sports played this year as exhibitions. I just can't think of it as a "season" or a true competition given all the fits and starts and cancellations and everything else. Proud of whoever wins whatever counts, glad the young men and women get a chance to play, but nothing computes as a viable championship to me.

y_jack_lok

^^^ I like and agree with your thinking that sports played this year are more like exhibitions -- especially those that are not on regular season schedules (football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, etc.). Without meaningful non-conference competition and no NCAA tournaments it has a hollow feel to it. But, like you, I am happy that the players and coaches get to compete. Just hoping the rewards outweigh the risks.

HSCTiger fan

Tigers go to SU and win 26 to 0!  2nd  shutout in 2 games! 
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Birddawg79

Word in the back alley is W&L is backing out of spring schedule. :(

jknezek

Quote from: Birddawg79 on March 06, 2021, 05:28:04 PM

2 games cancelled already. Men's BBall gave up the season early. I think W&L is being very, very conservative. Most winter sports had multiple cancellations. I think a few soccer games have already been cancelled as well. If you can't keep a few players on a basketball team from breaching whatever threshold you set, it's going to be almost impossible to keep 70 football players from doing it.

thescottharris

Quote from: jknezek on March 06, 2021, 10:07:34 PM
Quote from: Birddawg79 on March 06, 2021, 05:28:04 PM

2 games cancelled already. Men's BBall gave up the season early. I think W&L is being very, very conservative. Most winter sports had multiple cancellations. I think a few soccer games have already been cancelled as well. If you can't keep a few players on a basketball team from breaching whatever threshold you set, it's going to be almost impossible to keep 70 football players from doing it.
To be fair to W&L, there were more games cancelled than played in men's basketball for the entire ODAC. All but three programs had to go on at least one COVID pause - Ferrum, Roanoke, and Shenandoah. Though Roanoke or Shenandoah may have had a pause in preseason, I have no idea on that though.

On the women's side it wasn't as bad, but two teams also opted out for the season. I think generally smaller rosters helped with that as that reduces the # of people who could get COVID, could be other reasons away from the court, but that is merely speculation, of course. Lynchburg, Roanoke, E&H, Virginia Wesleyan, Shenandoah, Randolph, and Ferrum never had to go on a pause unless they went on a pause before games started.

WilsonField

W&L also seems to be the only campus testing the entire student population weekly. Probably doesn't help close contacts. A shame pumped for the fall and AU in 22

HSCTiger fan

I heard yesterday WL only had 40 or so players. Is this true?
Hampden Sydney College

thescottharris

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on March 10, 2021, 07:44:46 AM
I heard yesterday WL only had 40 or so players. Is this true?
I mean they have a roster that clearly has more than 40 players listed.
https://generalssports.com/sports/football/roster

Did you mean 40 available to play? There's a big difference between having 40 players and having 40 players available to play.

thescottharris

Well looks like W&L has cancelled their season. So every team is going to be able to get in that extra game at the end of the season then.

jknezek

Quote from: scotth on March 12, 2021, 04:35:23 PM
Well looks like W&L has cancelled their season. So every team is going to be able to get in that extra game at the end of the season then.

Yeah. Officially called it off a few days ago. Kept forgetting to come post. Not surprised. The University has been incredibly conservative about sporting events. I feel like every day I get a notice of something cancelled.