MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Here is a complete list of the schools, so far, that have made fall/first semester decisions on sports. They total 13.

There will be more, but I am not sure how many more. I know even in the NESCAC I'm told not every school agrees with the idea of shutting down sports competitively. And I know that in the Centennial while Swarthmore will likely be joined by Haverford and Bryn Mawr, the rest of the conference may not be on board with the idea either.

It seems those with healthy endowments who could weather the financial hit this kind of decision could cause (there is more to these decisions than just sports; entire campus is affected with these overall decisions) are the ones pulling the triggers on these. Those who need enrollment and tuition dollars to remain in good shape are the ones doing everything they can to keep fall/first semester sports in place.

And of course ... this could all change in a matter of weeks. This pandemic is hard to figure out from the virus to the management to the response and anything else you can think about. We could be in a very different situation in a month that changes everything.

I said to colleagues that I hope those who have shut down sports for the fall/first semester look crazy or even foolish in a few months time. That is NOT to say I think their decisions are wrong or an overreaction. I simply hope that we have gotten a better handle of the virus and maybe even ways of finally fighting it off have come along that these decisions in a few months time will look premature. That said, if these decisions look incredible smart and forward thinking ... then it likely means we are in no better a place and things are not well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swat Fan #1

As we approach September, is there any word yet on second semester basketball or does it look like there may not be a season? I ask because today Swarthmore has closed its campus to anyone not attending the college.

And while it may not be a popular opinion, I truly feel that Swarthmore should be awarded a National Championship. Throughout my life, many National Championships came as a result of voting. Swarthmore was #1 in ever single poll last year. Every Single Poll. I would have no problem with an asterisk being placed next to them in record books, but it just feels hollow that a team that was #1 for the entire year isn't named National Champs. Again, I know it isn't a popular opinion, I just think Swat deserves it.

Here is hoping the second semester brings back at least a partial schedule and we can enjoy what we all love.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Schools can claim whatever they want.  Most of those "national titles" so many football schools claim on the basis of poll voting aren't officially titles.  Nothing stops Swat from putting a banner up in the gym.

As for playing in the Spring.  I believe there will be basketball and probably a tournament of some kind.  Do I expect every school will participate?  No way.  Schools are going to need some cover somewhere - either national infection numbers that show clear progress or a successful and widespread vaccine program.  Schools that currently have students on campus will probably find a way to play sports after the new year.  Schools that aren't letting anyone on campus are much more up in the air.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on August 31, 2020, 09:15:31 AM
And while it may not be a popular opinion, I truly feel that Swarthmore should be awarded a National Championship. Throughout my life, many National Championships came as a result of voting. Swarthmore was #1 in ever single poll last year. Every Single Poll. I would have no problem with an asterisk being placed next to them in record books, but it just feels hollow that a team that was #1 for the entire year isn't named National Champs. Again, I know it isn't a popular opinion, I just think Swat deserves it.

Well, it's the NCAA that awards the official national championship, so if you can get them on board with this idea, why not.

WUPHF

Swarthmore was #1 in ever single poll last year. Every Single Poll.

Ken Massey has Randolph-Macon ranked No. 1 and Swarthmore at No. 6, so...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 31, 2020, 03:17:24 PM

Well, it's the NCAA that awards the official national championship, so if you can get them on board with this idea, why not.

The NCAA has already said there is no trophy to hand out. And you have to play the game to get the trophy, right? Sucks, but ...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on August 31, 2020, 03:39:14 PM
Swarthmore was #1 in ever single poll last year. Every Single Poll.

Ken Massey has Randolph-Macon ranked No. 1 and Swarthmore at No. 6, so...

Having seen both teams ... Massey can have all the algorithms he wants, but I wouldn't agree. :)

Gabriel

Ursinus played RMC once and Swat twice last year.  Bears lost all three games but all were close, 54-50 to RMC, 88-86 and 81-76 to Swat.  Both were excellent teams.  I watched all three games and think RMC was better defensively and Swat offensively. In my opinion,  Swat was the better team overall. But, I still think you need to win the games to win the championship.

WUPHF

Definitely have to play the games.

blue_jays

Quote from: WUPHF on September 01, 2020, 10:51:31 AM
Definitely have to play the games.

Agreed, you can't play the games for a national title for as many decades as we have and now arbitrarily hand it to the top ranked team at the time. Wheaton College (IL) didn't even win their conference 2 seasons ago, but Aston Francis put on the greatest scoring display in D3 history to pull them right into the Final Four. All it takes is one bad game for Swat to get the boot, so awarding a title is disingenuous to all the other teams.
Besides, would we do that for the baseball season when some teams literally played less than 10 games this past spring?

WUPHF

Quote from: blue_jays on September 01, 2020, 01:45:32 PM
Wheaton College (IL) didn't even win their conference 2 seasons ago, but Aston Francis put on the greatest scoring display in D3 history to pull them right into the Final Four.

As an aside, I wish the NCAA or whomever owns the broadcast would start posting more of these games on YouTube.  I would love to see that one again.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on September 02, 2020, 10:12:49 AM
Quote from: blue_jays on September 01, 2020, 01:45:32 PM
Wheaton College (IL) didn't even win their conference 2 seasons ago, but Aston Francis put on the greatest scoring display in D3 history to pull them right into the Final Four.

As an aside, I wish the NCAA or whomever owns the broadcast would start posting more of these games on YouTube.  I would love to see that one again.

The final four games are on NCAA.com .. the championships (since 2013) should be, but CBS Sports can be weird with supply those.

Previous rounds could be found at the schools who host the games. That said, many of them have streaming providers who ask/require their archives be blown out ever year or two.

WUPHF

Thanks Dave! That is helpful. And, it does seem as though most schools only go back 1-2 seasons.

I know it is a lot of work, but I wish more schools moved games to YouTube.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on September 02, 2020, 03:51:43 PM
Thanks Dave! That is helpful. And, it does seem as though most schools only go back 1-2 seasons.

I know it is a lot of work, but I wish more schools moved games to YouTube.

It is more than work ... because of music and other things that tend to run in the background, YT can be a pain in the ass and randomly remove games until you clear whatever trademark and copyright infringements the automated bots pick up in the video.