MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diplomaniac1

Old Ends -

I have been out of town (and away from D3hoops for a couple of weeks. Any chance I can get in the pick-em in midstream? Please advise. Thanks.

Eric

Leo

Old Ends, I too look at the stat sheets and it doesn't look good at this time for the Bears when it comes to taking care of the boards. Now on the other hand, the Bears play great defense and shoot the ball well (FGs, FTs and even 3P-FGs).

The last 3 games, the Bears were outrebounded overall, and had a tough time defending their own boards. All 3 games were close.

vs. Dickinson  41-27 outrebounded, 18-9 offensive boards in favor of Dickenson
vs. Mcdaniel  36-28 Bears won the boards, but McDaniel was 15-6 on offensive boards in their favor
vs. Hopkins  50-36 outrebounded, 16-3 offensive boards in favor of Hopkins
vs. Trinity (Ct) - they held their own

When Bears spanked Gettysburg on their home court, they won the boards 40-27 and had a 7-5 ad for offensive boards.

The graduation of Furey and Fabian has hurt them greatly, but the sophs and juniors have really stepped up to the plate and played very consistently. And as usual, Coach Small's teams play excellent defense.

Home court is nice to have now, and Shema needs to have a good game and stay out of foul trouble.

I think this game will be a warm-up for both teams as they play each other again for the CC championship game.

old ends

Quote from: diplomaniac1 on January 17, 2008, 08:58:29 PM
Old Ends -

I have been out of town (and away from D3hoops for a couple of weeks. Any chance I can get in the pick-em in midstream? Please advise. Thanks.

Eric

Of course you can. The more the better.

diplomaniac1

Old Ends, et. al -

Thanks. Here goes nothing - my first attempt at the pick-ems (for 1/19):

McDaniel @ Haverford   -   Haverford. The Fords are usually much better at home and due for a big win.

Gettysburg @ Ursinus   -   Gettysburg. A real toss-up here but stats suggest a Bullet win on the road.

Muhlenberg @ Franklin And Marshall - F&M. See comments of previous post. Besides, Dips are a different more experienced team than in first meeting. I am going to try to get to Mayser Center for tis one.

Johns Hopkins @ Swarthmore - JHU. Blue Jays are getting better as season goes along. Just expected the Garnet to be better this season than their current record.

Washington @ Dickinson - Dickinson. Red Devils should outrebound (and outscore) the Shoremen. Devils always tough to play in Kline Center.

Any thoughts? Regards to all. Good luck.

Eric

old ends

Love the comments from everyone, keep them coming. Also let people know about the pick-em's. I am glad we have a good response so far.

Bonus pick-em ( $1 monopoly money gift card. Which can be used just about no where)

Monday 1/21/08

Philadelphia Biblical   @   Swarthmore

other games of interest this weekend.

NYG     @    GBP
SDC    @   NEP

As the  prize indicates. Just have fun with the above pick-em's.

have fun and good luck.

old ends

Here is somthing impressive about the Conference overall:

NCAA  Scoring defense across the nation Centennial have 5 teams in the top 75
Haverford------- 7th
Dickinson------- 45th
Muhlenburg------ 50th
McDaniel --------51st
John Hopkins---- 67th

Check the rest out here: http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings

r.w. mcnickels

1/19 picks:

Gettysburg
Johns Hopkins
Haverford
F&M
Dickinson

Gettysburg returns the favor in Collegeville behind a big game Dorsey.

Swat might pick up CC win #1 today, but McCormick needs more help than he got in Baltimore last month.  JHU in a close one.

Haverford returns almost everyone from last year's squad that played for the CC title - it's time for the Fords to start playing like it.

F&M and Dickinson at home.

old ends

Results for 1/19/08 Pick-em

Leo ---------------4 - 1
Reserved Seat-----4 - 1
Suetonius---------3 - 2
r.w.mcnickels------3 - 2
Dipomaniac1------3 - 2
Old ends --------2 - 3

Overall

Reserved Seat -------- 17 - 3
r.w.mcnickels-----------15 - 5
Suetonius--------------14 - 6
Leo -------------------14 - 6
Old Ends---------------13 - 7
Diplomaniac1 -----------3 - 2

Haverford was a unanimous pick for all of us, which cost each of us a loss.  It is still a tight race overall which is good to see. 

Good luck next week and do not forget the bonus pickem above.

old ends

1/23/08 Pick-em's

McDaniel      @    John Hopkins
Ursinus        @    Haverford
Washington @   Swarthmore
F & M            @  Gettysburg
Dickinson      @  Muhlenberg

Again, will post results 1/24 and 1/26 games on 1/23.

Thanks, are ya having fun yet??

Look back for bonus pick of the week.

old ends

Quote from: old ends on January 18, 2008, 07:49:43 PM
Bonus pick-em ( $1 monopoly money gift card. Which can be used just about no where)

Monday 1/21/08

Philadelphia Biblical   @   Swarthmore

other games of interest this weekend.

NYG     @    GBP
SDC    @   NEP

As the  prize indicates. Just have fun with the above pick-em's.

have fun and good luck.

Swarthmore Got to go with the Conference team
GBP
NEP

worth a shot

diplomaniac1

Old Ends -

Here's my 1/21 pick em - Swarthmore.

Eric

Reserved Seat

Does the bonus pick count in the conference picks?
Since I know nothing about Philadelphia Bible, I pick Swarthmore.  They deserve a win, and they represent the conference.
I see my luck is still holding.  With a different outcome in the two overtime games, my picks wouldn't look as good.

D.B. Cooper

1/21 pick

SWAT over PBC: on the comparative scores Garnet should win easily, don't trust them totally, but they may squeek it out (? OT)

1/23 picks

JHU in a close one
Ursinus floods the Fords
WC stifles SWAT
G-burg young Dips ? without Scovill can't dodge Bullets
Muhlenburg as Mules buck Devils & welcome a return home

I caught the second half of Dip-Mule contest, F&M fortunate to win, but I would have to now say perhaps McNally is the best player on the Dip team. His play was clutch & impressive. I havn't seen play approaching that from an F&M front court frosh since Terry Scott (any old-timers remember him?). Could McNally be another Dip All-American? But I don't recall Scott taking over a game on both ends like this until his Soph year in the way I saw Saturday.

r.w. mcnickels

1/21 pick:
Swarthmore

Suetonius, I agree with you on McNally.  Once he started backing guys down, he took over the game.  Back in November a Williams poster came on and mentioned McNally as a great recruit - I think they went to the same high school.  Anyway, I was really skeptical because he didn't look great in the first few games.  I don't know if we've seen enough of him yet to start comparing him to Terry Scott, but he looks like a nice pickup for the Dips.

diplofan

Saturday's three point win over Muhlenberg marked the first time that F&M had won a game decided by five points or less since February 8, 2006. The Dips were 0-9 in such games in 2006-07 and had been 0-3 in them this year prior to Saturday. It looks like this young squad may be finding ways to win, rather than lose, close games. We'll soon see with stiffer conference competition looming.