MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GNACBias2021

First-time poster, long-time follower. The, for the most part, absence of DIII basketball this winter has been rough. No games, nothing to talk about, little activity on the boards. So I thought, with 2020 giving way to 2021, it might be a great time to recap the decade. A lot occurred in the GNAC from the 2010-11 season through the conclusion of the 2019-20 one and this will be my attempt to document some major changes and hand out some awards!

First, the changes: Anna Maria joined the league in 2011, Emerson left (NEWMAC) in 2013, Colby-Sawyer and Regis joined in 2018, Mt. Ida closed in 2018, Dean joined this fall, Suffolk left (CCC) this fall.

Now, my awards...

GNAC Coach of the Decade: Mitch Oliver, Albertus Magnus - 2x GNAC COY, 6x GNAC Champion, 2013-14 D3 Hoops Northeast Region COY. Runner Up - Jamie Benton, Johnson & Wales.

• Benton (NABC, 2015-16), Lawson - Emmanuel (D3Hoops, 2018-19), & Calhoun/Miller - Saint Joseph's CT (D3 Hoops, 2019-20) also received regional coach of the year accolades.

GNAC Player of the Decade: Quarry Greenaway '16, Johnson & Wales - 4x All-GNAC selection, POY, ROY, multiple All-District/Region teams and an All-American. Runner Up - Ray Askew '12, Albertus Magnus; Lamonte Thomas '12, Johnson & Wales; Darius Watson '14, Albertus Magnus - This was tough, I gave the nod to Greenaway over Watson because he made one more All-Conference team. Askew and Thomas only played two seasons in the decade, so while I took into account their entire careers, it was hard to give them this award.

Now, for my GNAC All-Decade Teams... I started this with the intent of making 3 Teams and listing 10 Honorable Mentions, which quickly turned into 4 Teams and 12 Honorable Mentions. I tried, to some degree, to make each team balanced positionally, like All-NBA selections. If I was just ranking a Top 10 or Top 20, it might look a little different. I did a thorough deep dive into individual accolades given out throughout the decade and tried to combine hardware with statistics and my recollection of each player individually. Anyway, here goes...

GNAC 1st Team All-Decade:
Lamonte Thomas '12, Johnson & Wales - 4x All-GNAC, 2010-11 GNAC POY, 2x All-American.
Darius Watson '14, Albertus Magnus - 3x All-GNAC, 2013-14 GNAC POY, 2010-11 GNAC ROY, made 2 All-America teams as a Sr.
Quarry Greenaway '16, Johnson & Wales - 4x All-GNAC, 2015-16 GNAC POY, 2012-13 GNAC ROY, All-American.
Ray Askew '12, Albertus Magnus - 4x All-GNAC, 2x GNAC POY (09-10, 11-12), 2008-09 GNAC ROY, 2011-12 GNAC DPOY, All-American.
Victor Ljuljduraj '15, Albertus Magnus - 2x 1st Team All-GNAC, 2014-15 GNAC POY, 2x GNAC DPOY (13-14, 14-15), All-American.

GNAC 2nd Team All-Decade:
Brian Hogan-Gary '20, Johnson & Wales - 3x All-GNAC, 2018-19 GNAC POY + DPOY, named to 2 All-District/Region teams.
Anthony Click '13, Anna Maria - 2x 1st Team All-GNAC, 2012-13 GNAY POY, named to 3 All-District/Region teams.
Jack Casale '21, St. Joe's (ME) - 2x 1st Team All-GNAC, 2019-20 GNAC POY, named to 2 All-District/Region teams.
Jaqhawn Walters '18, Albertus Magnus - 3x All-GNAC, 2x GNAC POY (16-17, 17-18), named to 4 All-District/Region teams, All-American.
Mike Rapoza '20, Anna Maria - 4x All-GNAC, 2017-18 GNAC DPOY, 2016-17 GNAC ROY, 2x D3Hoops 4th Team Northeast All-Region

GNAC 3rd Team All-Decade:
Delshawn Jackson '22, Saint Joseph's (CT) - 2x All-GNAC, 2018-19 GNAC ROY, 2018-19 D3Hoops Northeast Region ROY, 2019-20 D3Hoops 3rd Team Northeast All-Region
Matt Medeiros '14, St. Joe's (ME) - 2x 1st Team All-GNAC, best scorer in class of 2014 not named Darius Watson.
Zach O'Brien '12, St. Joe's (ME) - 3x All-GNAC, over-shadowed by others in class of 2012 but he was really really good.
Tom Garrick '16, Johnson & Wales - 2x 1st Team All-GNAC, named to 3 All-District/Region teams.
Javon Williams '12, Lasell - 3x All-GNAC, 2010-211 D3Hoops 3rd Team Northeast All-Region

GNAC 4th Team All-Decade:
Eian Davis '15, Albertus Magnus - 2x All-GNAC, major major impact on those Dunk Haven teams of the middle of the decade.
Darian Berry '19, St. Joe's (ME) - 2x All-GNAC, as far as I can tell he's the league's only Academic All-American this decade.
Sean Bertanza '13, Lasell - 3x All-GNAC, was a walking-bucket, hands down best scorer in the 2013 class.
Dana Bean '20, Colby-Sawyer - 1x 1st Team All-GNAC, 1x 2nd Team All-GNAC... Colby-Sawyer's best player in their short time in the league so far.
Matt Pepdjonovic '13, Suffolk - 4x All-GNAC (Anyone else suprised by this?!), 2009-10 GNAC ROY, 12.6 RPG for his CAREER!

GNAC All-Decade Honorable Mention:
Ademola Alfonja '19, Regis - 2x 2nd Team All-GNAC... Regis's best player in their short time in the league so far.
Patrick Bradanese '16, Anna Maria - 1x 1st Team All-GNAC, 1x 2nd Team All-GNAC
Antonio Davis '12, Norwich - 1x 2nd Team All-GNAC, 1x 3rd Team All-GNAC... his two years in the decade were stacked at his position.
Thomas Duffy '20, Suffolk - 1x 1st Team All-GNAC, 1x 2nd Team All-GNAC, 1x 3rd Team All-GNAC (2nd toughest omission from Top 20)
Ethan Dujon '17, Mt. Ida - 1x 1st Team All-GNAC, 1x 3rd Team All-GNAC... easily Mt. Ida's best player in the decade.
Mike Hogervorst '18, Norwich - 3x 3rd Team All-GNAC, 2014-15 GNAC ROY
Anthony Jernigan '17, Johnson & Wales - 1x 1st Team All-GNAC, 1x 2nd Team All-GNAC
Stefan Masciarelli '20, Lasell - 2x 1st Team All-GNAC
Armin Omanovic '17, Lasell - 2x 1st Team All-GNAC, 2016-2017 D3Hoops 4th Team Northeast All-Region (toughest omission from Top 20)
Don Poitras '11, Rivier - 2x 2nd Team All-GNAC, 2010-11 GNAC DPOY... only played one year in the decade, but DPOY let me get a pair of brothers on here.
Tom Poitras '14, Rivier - 1x 1st Team All-GNAC, 1x 2nd Team All-GNAC
Emmett Riddick '20, Emmanuel - 2x 2nd Team All-GNAC, major part of the Saints turnaround at the end of the decade.[/size][/size][/size][/list]

Falcons 25

Great job, GNACBIAS! Very well researched & presented! I really can`t argue with any of your awards
as your reasoning was excellent!!
NOW for 2021.....a little birdie just told me, AMC will be taking the floor shortly!!!! Probably Mid-February.
No fans, but we`ll be able to see it I would imagine.
HOPE YET, PEOPLE...KEEP YOUR COLLECTIVE CHIN UP!

Falcons 25

AMC RECRUITING NEWS:

Well Folks, we have some "Steak"! My little birdie has told me that Mitch Oliver`s squad will include:

1. Kevin Crawford- 2018-19 CT All State point guard from Bassick High- Bridgeport, CT.
    My son & I saw this young man "light it up" @ the JCC Schoolboy Classic 2 years ago.
    He could be the point guard we`ve been seeking since Eian Davis left!
2.Jordan Williams- Notre Dame Prep-West Haven, CT. (Career High School)
3. Eric Diaz - no information.

Hoops- SOON ENOUGH!

Falcons 25

MORE AMC RECRUITING NEWS:

Well Folks I have 3 more new players for Mitch Oliver`s squad:

1. Bryan Assie- Transfer: 6-8, 240lb. Forward/Center- 2 years @ Monroe College-Westchester & one @
    Southern University- Louisiana  (Senior @ AMC)
2. Mekhi Warren- Hillhouse- New Haven- 6-5, 185lb. swingman- Transfer: one year @ S.CT. State-(soph.-
    AMC)
3. Eric Burgos- Guard- Manchester, CT. High School- All CCC Conference
    (Scratch: Eric Diaz- previous post)
It seems practice will begin first week of February- games 2 weeks later?
Testing 3X per week. Stay well, men!

WELCOME TO ALL NEW RECRUITS! BUCKLE UP THIS SHOULD BE FUN!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season technically started nearly three months ago, but it has taken until the end of January for it to start feeling like the season is really underway. Even so, only about a quarter of the division has played just a single game. Another quarter of the division will never take to the court. And in between is wide gulf of different options.

On the first video-version of Hoopsville this season, Dave McHugh is joined by much of the D3hoops.com crew, Pat Coleman and Ryan Scott, to react to what has been one of the more unique seasons ... to say it lightly.

We react to the challenges schools are facing, what coaches are grappling with on a daily basis - especially beyond games and practices, and why schools are making so many different decisions.

We also discuss what is likely the future of this season's NCAA Championship Tournaments and, more importantly, when the decision on those tournaments will be made.

Plus, will there be a Top 25? No. Well, yes. Kind of. Tune in to learn more on what's coming. Plus a lot more including Dave spinning off Pat's thoughts on those wishing to attend games.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show by clicking on the video player above. Or you can listen to the podcast available on any of the service options in the right panel.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

You can WATCH the show or listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3oASGKl or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/january

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D3HoopJunkie

Well Albertus fans, to me its beginning to look like it might be difficult for the Falcons to get on the court and at least get a few games in this season. They have had a few positive cases from my understanding and continue to work to try and get back. Ultimately, all that matters is that these players and coaches stay healthy during these trying times. As disappointing as it is, especially for the seniors, sometimes you have to take a step back and realize that some things are just bigger than basketball.

On another side note, some news out of New Britain as Central CT and Donyell Marshall decided to part ways the other day. Our head Coach, Mitch Oliver name is already being tossed around as a potential candidate and replacement. I have seen some talk on twitter and fan boards and while this would be an amazing opportunity for Coach Oliver (and I think we all agree he deserves it) it would be a crushing blow to the Albertus basketball program. We'll see what happens as things progress in their hiring process over the next month or so........

D3HoopJunkie

On a more fun note, I have heard that freshman guard Kevin Crawford is and absolute animal. I was told he is dynamic, fearless and will be a difference maker for this team immediately. I was also informed that transfer big Bryan Assie is the best low post, back to the basket player that we have had since Big Vic which is really saying something!

Falcons 25

I agree that safety is paramount & I also would also expect more personal discipline so that
they could achieve their desire to play hoops.
As far as Mitch Oliver`s opportunity, it`s about time this great coach gets recognized for all that
he has accomplished.
Here`s expecting games to be played; come on men!

Saint-Paul

OH NO,  Saints just lost their young, successful coach to a D1 program.  The overnight turn around in the Saints program was directly attributed to his hiring and now he is gone.  Well, let's see if the new AD can match his first hiring with another successful hiring.  That is the chance you take when you hire a first time head coach at a D3 school. If they are successful, they leave.  Saints have been a lot of fun to watch the last two years, they moved the ball, took good shots, and played tough defense.  Hope they can find another coach with that combination.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Big news from Colby-Sawyer.  They'll be looking for a new MBB coach, I think for the first time as a member of D3.  Foti has been there for 28 years.

https://www.colby-sawyerathletics.com/news/2021/5/24/mens-basketball-longtime-mens-basketball-coach-bill-foti-accepts-athletic-director-position-at-guilford-college.aspx
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

D3.Lifer

Any idea what the league will look like this year? Tough to tell with so many teams not playing last year and a lot of new coaches in the league

Falcons 25

I can only comment on the Albertus Magnus College Falcons. They have a lot of work to do, but they
have the potential to dominate the GNAC again!  Why?
Well, Tyreek Perkins is back for a graduate year & he is a stud #2 guard.
Terry Dawkins is a solid veteran presence @ the #4.
Center is a little uncertain, unless Justus Washington can improve on both sides of the ball.
Now for the keys to success:
KEVIN CRAWFORD is our new point guard & has the potential to be better than Eian Davis.
If he can play under control, he will be the key to the Falcon`s success!
ERIC BURGOS ,out of Manchester High School, is a wing/#2 guard who can contribute immediately.
Last, but not least, Devon Warner is our deadly outside threat from 3 who can change a game himself!
Mitch Oliver will have this team on top or competing for it, COUNT ON IT!

Falcons 25

Well , the Albertus Magnus College Falcons beat Rutgers-Camden, 71-69.
I thought it was a poor performance, even for the first game of the season.
The most distressing stats were FOUR ASSISTS for the ENTIRE TEAM & 20+
TURNOVERS.
Shoutout to : Justus Washington, 16 pts. & the winning layup with 2 seconds left
& to Tyreek Perkins for calmly sinking 2 free throws to tie the game.

A Lot of work needs to be done in one week before the home opener vs KEENE STATE!

SpringSt7