MBB: Atlantic East Conference

Started by mailsy, February 01, 2018, 11:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 13, 2019, 11:44:20 AM
Any move York was thought to be making has been put on hold from everything I've been told. There are several (not sure the number exactly) in the MAC who do not want York in the conference based on egos and their interpretation of what York is ... but I digress.

I could go into some REAL detail here from the right-from-the-horses-mouth crew........................but I can't, and won't :)

York sees itself as "worthy" of the Centennial and has been poking around to see if they would have any interest in adding a member. They are interested in the MAC as a "fall back". Several MAC folks are fully aware of this fact and have zero interest as a result!!

mailsy

Now that Division III basketball season is officially over; just think it's less than 7 months until preseason practice begins.  ;D
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

ronk

Or, as some of us call it, the 2nd(recruiting) season.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Any move York was thought to be making has been put on hold from everything I've been told. There are several (not sure the number exactly) in the MAC who do not want York in the conference based on egos and their interpretation of what York is ... but I digress.

So... I've been off the boards for nearly a week because I simply don't have time from the moment I leave for the final four until I get back.

That said, I got a call the day after I posted this ... which is part of why I posted it (more on that in a moment). It appears momentum has restarted on the process. This gave me a great opportunity to pick some brains of a number of people both on the phone and in person in the last week and gathered a move by York is certainly possible. I know the MAC has shown interest and you can look at a few things done by Commonwealth members that would set-up such a move.

Sometimes I like to post things, based on actual facts or knowledge I have gathered, to help flush out more information. This is a prime example. It caused a text and a phone call to be made ... which then caused a few more conversations to be had. Call it a fishing expedition. In this case, I had been told York was on hold ... but that was months ago. The silence between had me wondering what was going on. This was a perfect opportunity to see what was really going on. I posted what was accurate back in the late fall ... but it revealed what had changed in the meantime.

I hope that makes sense.

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 14, 2019, 06:03:17 PM

York sees itself as "worthy" of the Centennial and has been poking around to see if they would have any interest in adding a member. They are interested in the MAC as a "fall back". Several MAC folks are fully aware of this fact and have zero interest as a result!!

Nope. Centennial won't take them. They haven't made a conference change since they were created and York honestly doesn't fit the mold. MAC is the "best" fit though there are still members (presidents and ADs depending on the institution) that doesn't want to have York in their conference for reasons that are honestly bogus. I think the Landmark would be a good fit as well, but too many of those institutions think they are on par with the Centennial ... but I digress.

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 14, 2019, 05:57:55 PM
I've heard from two people that the NJAC is "all over" Stevenson. Does anybody think that this is even a remote possibility?

No chance in hell unless we are talking football only. NJAC has a bylaw that states ONLY state schools of New Jersey are eligible to be in the conference as full time members. They have taken in other schools for associate membership in specific sports, but no chance Stevenson is brought into the NJAC as a full-time member. Furthermore, that just doesn't make any sense geographically or for Stevenson. The MAC is the right place for the Mustangs - despite what some members, who voted for Stevenson to enter in the first place, would indicate.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Let's all recheck our sources because March 31st has potential to be a day where a conference votes to add York. It's not the NJAC, Cent or Landmark.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CCHoopster on March 19, 2019, 02:01:14 PM
Let's all recheck our sources because March 31st has potential to be a day where a conference votes to add York. It's not the NJAC, Cent or Landmark.

Well... the ODAC would be a reach, but I guess it is possible. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 19, 2019, 12:13:15 PM

So... I've been off the boards for nearly a week because I simply don't have time from the moment I leave for the final four until I get back.

That said, I got a call the day after I posted this ... which is part of why I posted it (more on that in a moment). It appears momentum has restarted on the process. This gave me a great opportunity to pick some brains of a number of people both on the phone and in person in the last week and gathered a move by York is certainly possible. I know the MAC has shown interest and you can look at a few things done by Commonwealth members that would set-up such a move.

Sometimes I like to post things, based on actual facts or knowledge I have gathered, to help flush out more information. This is a prime example. It caused a text and a phone call to be made ... which then caused a few more conversations to be had. Call it a fishing expedition. In this case, I had been told York was on hold ... but that was months ago. The silence between had me wondering what was going on. This was a perfect opportunity to see what was really going on. I posted what was accurate back in the late fall ... but it revealed what had changed in the meantime.

I hope that makes sense.

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 14, 2019, 06:03:17 PM

Nope. Centennial won't take them. They haven't made a conference change since they were created and York honestly doesn't fit the mold. MAC is the "best" fit though there are still members (presidents and ADs depending on the institution) that doesn't want to have York in their conference for reasons that are honestly bogus. I think the Landmark would be a good fit as well, but too many of those institutions think they are on par with the Centennial ... but I digress.

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 14, 2019, 05:57:55 PM
I've heard from two people that the NJAC is "all over" Stevenson. Does anybody think that this is even a remote possibility?

No chance in hell unless we are talking football only. NJAC has a bylaw that states ONLY state schools of New Jersey are eligible to be in the conference as full time members. They have taken in other schools for associate membership in specific sports, but no chance Stevenson is brought into the NJAC as a full-time member. Furthermore, that just doesn't make any sense geographically or for Stevenson. The MAC is the right place for the Mustangs - despite what some members, who voted for Stevenson to enter in the first place, would indicate.

My bad Dave. Yes, football only for Stevenson and the NJAC. With Frostburg departing, scheduling 10 games will get even tougher. Wesley just had to schedule a D2 team just moving up from Sprint football.

jmcozenlaw

I've heard about a small dance or two regarding the Landmark but that is going nowhere. I could name some people in the MAC who want no part of York, but there may not be enough. There is another school that has great interest in moving from XXXXXXXXX over to the MAC. With Manhattanville being replaced by Stevens, if this unnamed school were to move over along with York, it would keep the symmetry with 9 teams in both the Freedom and Commonwealth.

Dave, grab Wags and ask him who the CSAC is sniffing around (or vice versa) at this time. I heard that Lancaster Bible blew their chance with a "we don't need you as much as you need us" comment (or something along those lines) with the CSAC and has reached out to the Atlantic East. One of those two might be interested in engaging/re-engaging. I just don't see the Atlantic East fit. The CSAC? I could see it.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 19, 2019, 05:51:10 PM

I've heard about a small dance or two regarding the Landmark but that is going nowhere. I could name some people in the MAC who want no part of York, but there may not be enough. There is another school that has great interest in moving from XXXXXXXXX over to the MAC. With Manhattanville being replaced by Stevens, if this unnamed school were to move over along with York, it would keep the symmetry with 9 teams in both the Freedom and Commonwealth.

Dave, grab Wags and ask him who the CSAC is sniffing around (or vice versa) at this time. I heard that Lancaster Bible blew their chance with a "we don't need you as much as you need us" comment (or something along those lines) with the CSAC and has reached out to the Atlantic East. One of those two might be interested in engaging/re-engaging. I just don't see the Atlantic East fit. The CSAC? I could see it.

I talk to Wags quite often ... LBC did blow their chance. I think LBC may have to fix some internal things before they get another chance.

As for another departure to the MAC, I don't see it right now. But who knows ... the "oh my god, the sky is falling" mentality is nuts.

As for Stevenson ... I doubt they take football with them for one major reason: I think it would give grounds to the conference to punt the department as a whole. Certainly, anything is possible ... but I think the conference would be ticked off if they moved football to the NJAC.

Furthermore, I don't think the NJAC needs it. Football being a bigger conference does more harm than good. Teams need multiple games out of conference to bolster their resume(s). The NJAC would be smarter to stay at their numbers and allow teams to have two out of conference games (if possible).

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 19, 2019, 11:51:21 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 19, 2019, 05:51:10 PM

I talk to Wags quite often ... LBC did blow their chance. I think LBC may have to fix some internal things before they get another chance.

As for another departure to the MAC, I don't see it right now. But who knows ... the "oh my god, the sky is falling" mentality is nuts.

As for Stevenson ... I doubt they take football with them for one major reason: I think it would give grounds to the conference to punt the department as a whole. Certainly, anything is possible ... but I think the conference would be ticked off if they moved football to the NJAC.

Furthermore, I don't think the NJAC needs it. Football being a bigger conference does more harm than good. Teams need multiple games out of conference to bolster their resume(s). The NJAC would be smarter to stay at their numbers and allow teams to have two out of conference games (if possible).

LBC also just had a one-and-done with their men's basketball coach. You might be spot on about the cleaning up of some internal things. My buddy is on the case to see what is going on over there. I know they have big plans for growth.................academic, facilities and athletically. The new field for soccer/field hockey/lacrosse is sweet and while small, the hoops/volleyball (men's team is excellent) is actually better than a long list of schools that I've seen (DeSales, eastern, Manhattanville, etc.) As a person of Faith, I love their mission. I just hope they aren't getting out way over their ski's (the comment about "you need us more than we need you").

CCHoopster

mailsy

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

That is mainly the streaming partner ... like Stretch and even YouTube.

It won't change the broadcasts necessary, though if the schools take the Production Truck software, that will help to make a difference.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 30, 2019, 08:11:51 PM

It won't change the broadcasts necessary, though if the schools take the Production Truck software, that will help to make a difference.

I think you've overestimating Wesley's available bandwidth in that gym.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

mailsy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 01, 2019, 07:01:46 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 30, 2019, 08:11:51 PM

I think you've overestimating Wesley's available bandwidth in that gym.

I'm not expecting miracles. Just that I might be able to watch more games on my TV as opposed to my phone or desktop.