Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Captainred81

#1
We all had to know that the dominance that Mount has had over the last 4 decades (I'm counting since '86) in the conference and nationally would eventually come to an end.  All of the records were eventually going to end.  We had to miss the Semi Finals, we had to miss the quarter finals, we had to lose an opening season game.  Knowing it doesn't make it easier, but we did know it. 

Last week, regardless of their legitimacy, we cannot have 13 penalties and 6 go for first downs.  That single handedly gives the opponent an easy game.  Like walking 6 batters.  "Here's head start"  "Free points" 
Also dropped passes, no excuse.  Coach G probably losing his mind. 

Defense looks solid.  I felt they were dealt some bad hands a played really well.  I felt like they made the opponent fight for every yard, minus the penalties.  Definitely the offense contributed to the defenses struggles.

The opponent played an exceptional game and did not make many mistakes, which was required to win.  For all of the mistakes Mount made they still had the opportunity to win.  I do feel like they lost the game more the opponent won it.  It wasn't snatched away, it was handed away. 

This week... Good news is, it aint over.  We can run the table and make the playoffs and prove the machine is gone, it was just waiting on some parts.  They've been on back order since the pandemic and then the were stuck in the straight of hormuz.  Lets go out this weekend, beat down the Wolverines at home.  Be crisp, efficient, and execute.  Catch every ball, make every tackle, keep the penalties down and the emotions in check.  Business on offense and controlled chaos on D. 

#2
I usually agree with the Hansen ratings, but giving Wheaton a 6.5 point edge?   Seems high to me.  I know its the math, but 6.5...  Doesn't 38 years of opening week wins mean anything? 

IN truth, I am nervous.  A lot of these young guys traveling 8 hours for their first game.  Wheaton will be trying to play fast and tough right from the start.  Mount will need to get some quick stops and control the clock.  I expect offensively Wheaton to come out with high percentage passing, quick outs, bubble screens, TE over the middle.  I'd love to see a nickel package and with some zone blitzing. 

For Mount, I'd like to some read pass option, and big plays.  Throw the ball down the field. 
#3
I didnt mean that Mount should have beaten Wheaton 63-7, I just meant that they shouldnt have stopped unless it was that bad.  Which it wasnt, so they should have left all the starters in a kept playing at the highest level possible.

Moving on...

It sounds like the talent and potential of this years group is pretty stout.  I'm hoping to see more consistent execution on both sides of the ball, for 4 quarters. 
#4
I'm excited for this game.  It will definitely be a great test to start the season for the defense.  They are returning all of their skill positions.  I would love to see a pick or two off of this QB, and a few sacks. 

I expect Mount to control both sides of the line of scrimmage all day.

I think the offense will be just fine moving the ball and putting up points. 

Finally, don't stop until your winning by 42, or their is less than 4 minutes on the clock or both. 

I am also not going to berate Dartt, but that game last year pulled at me a bit.  1st game of the season, ranked opponent, up by 28 or something with a full quarter to play.  You all know.  I get sick over that though.  Should have been 63-7, then let off the gas a bit. 
#5
I'm in
#6
I hate that...
#7
I know that Mount has more AA's on the squad, but not sure who.  Are any of the receivers returning?  I did hear that Nick Turner left.  Is D Grant back?  If Mikey is gonna be 2nd team AA, he's got to throw to someone. 
#8
I tired to watch JCU as much as I could during the season and I watched the game against Randolph Macon.  I cant say that the Streaks are any different this year, than any other year.  They are talented and play fundamentally sound football, but the game plan, players and strategies seem the same.  Obviously, Montgomery is a major talent, and catches a ton of passes, but I'm not sure it will be enough.  I think JCU's running game will be almost non-existent, after the first quarter.  I think our defense is maturing and coming together at the right time. 

Mount will bring a level of speed and consistency they have not faced since Johns Hopkins.  I expect a tight first quarter, maybe something like 7-7, then I expect the Mount offense to take advantage of some field position set up by the defense.  I look for a 28-7 halftime, and a 49-21 final.  With JCU's last 7 coming with under a minute left.
#9
I'm not sure anyone is underestimating the MIAA, although, they are not to be feared as the WIAC schools or NCC.  Hope did score with 15 seconds left last year to make it make a 3 score game, but mostly they were manhandled by NCC just like every other team.  That is not to say that Mount was ever going to win the Stagg bowl, although, they had their opportunities.  I'm not sure Hope ever had the same opportunities. 

Moving on, I think Hope has a great shot a getting past a very inconsistent LAX team.  With or without their #1 QB.  However, they have size and speed that is probably a step up from Olivet.  Assuming that happens, I give them a very real shot against NCC.  I think watching this years Wheaton game is imperative. 

On the other side of that bracket, I think Platteville will be there. 
#10
General football / Re: D3 Playoffs
November 17, 2025, 02:47:21 PM
I like this years bracket more than I thought I would.  There is a lot of geography but it's not all geography. 

I love the LaGrange and Framingham matchup... Hope and LaCrosse, Endicott-Salisbury, UWW-DePauw, Susqu - W&J. 

I think we all got so used to the Mount Union v Whitewater Stagg Bowls.  I think it was necessary to keep them on opposite sides of the bracket.  While these teams are ranked 1 and 2, there are cases to be made for some other teams to be ranked at #2. 

I appreciate how NPI takes creates the field of 40 so instantly.  I think we have the most fair, and best possible field we could, without eliminating AQ.  I think we have a ton of h 2 h matchups to compare.  I wonder how many matchups are the first time ever.  I assume LaGrange has not Framingham, and Eastern has not played F&M, W&J v CNU?  Those are the things about D3 that I love. 

I think Berry has a shot to make it to the quarterfinals this year. potentially getting a shot at Mount.  I think Hardin Simmons could do the same.  I'm sure they have ever played Mount. 

I'm still filling out my bracket, so no predictions yet. 
#11
A lot of the feelings i have about this game have already been said. 

I think this was completely uninspired football.  They played flat almost the whole.  It was very cliche, like they were expecting Marietta to lay down and let them win.  Don't get me wrong, I think the coaching has responsibility to create inspiration and motivation, but if not for their coaching and talent, they lose that game.  Between drops, bad passes, bad play calling, missed blocks, penalties, penalties, penalties, missed tackled, missed coverages.. They scored 30 points in 2 quarters (2nd and 3rd).  The best teams find a way to win, even when it seems like they shouldn't.  Maybe this team thought they were going to have to grind to get through games 1 and 2, and when they didn't they thought, hmmm maybe we are the best. 

My hope is that, this team will watch this tape, and these coaches will see this as an area of need.  Come into Muskingum, knowing that they could lose and playing like it needs to be their best game.  I would love to see them win that game 50+ to 0.  If Cap held them to 7, Mount should be able to do better.  Like their season depends on it. 

NCC is still on their way up.  7 years at the top is different than 30+.  They are not taking any wins for granted.  I think this team at Mount is...  Should Mount be beating Otterbein and Capital and Marietta by 50+... yes... But they still have to play hard and try hard, they don't just give it to you

T
#12
I think the major issue (besides needing more passes to the TE) is tackling.  Someone else said it, that they get to the ball carrier, but they don't bring him down. Berg, BW, ONU, these guys can play.  We need more gang tackling, and  less misses.  I do appreciate the turnovers though.  The linebackers are fast, and they can tackle, but they need get to the gap sooner.  They wait for the back to get through the hole at top speed, and thats a much tougher tackle.
#13
I often try to defend some of the things the team and coach do, but this week....the team that came out in the 2nd half was ready and prepared and played well.  The team in the 1st quarter was lights out.  The team in the 2nd quarter and especially at the end of the 2nd quarter... I dont know them.  It seems that many times that they have these points in a game where they just dont execute.  Offense, defense, special teams.  They get penalties, and blocked punts, dropped balls, missed tackles.  Then they snap out of it.  It sometimes feels like its on purpose.  I get very frustrated. 
Moving on... 
I really like Minner. He looks fast and strong.  I think we have a nice headed monster in the backfield. 
I like the receiving corps very much.  I think we could help ourselves by throwing to the TE a few more times..  It may open things up a bit for those slants and deep routes
The defense really needs to tighten up.  Against a good run team, they could find themselves in a tough spot.  Linebackers especially need to fill gaps and be more aggressive.  Also, they need to complete the tackle.  To many missed TFL, and short gains. 
#14
I think you're right on the Columbus area schools having a huge HS football field*** of recruits, but there is a ton of schools recruiting the area too.  I'm guessing every D3 school in Ohio is spending umpteen days/weeks at the area high schools.  Its probably hard to get the top recruits.  I think if they could some how find a bit of success, maybe even in the transfer portal, they could convince some of the better local talent to sign on
 
#15
I think best case...
BW goes 9-1
Mareitta goes 8-2 with losses obviously to Mount and BDub

BW gets in for sure and Marietta gets on SOS blah blah blah