Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - ItsATuftSituation

#1
Ryan Lynskey just posted this on his Instagram page. He states in his caption,

"They say to leave the game before the game leaves you, but I don't think the game will ever leave me. While I struggle to make sense of why this has happened, I realize how lucky I am to love something so much that it hurts this badly to have it taken from me. I don't know if I'll ever lace up my cleats and strap on my pads again, but if this is where my journey ends, I will forever be grateful I got to end it alongside my brothers. Maybe the point of it all wasn't to become a man who doesn't fall, but a man who always finds a reason to stand back up. Thank you Bates Football, you have changed my life. 4 out ✌️#344"

If this is it for him, he made an unmistakable impact on the NESCAC and Bates football. Best of luck to him. Pretty emotional post, really feel for him. I hope this isn't it for him.
#2
Official that Tufts and Wesleyan will be playing on the turf. Both schedules say "Citrin Field."
#3
Was in Medford to watch the Jumbos play Hamilton. Sad that Hamilton's stud first-year RB got hurt on the final play of the game. He was super dynamic, scored three times in the game. Hope he's okay but he was down for a long, long time.
#4
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
July 08, 2026, 02:00:23 PM
Tufts is releasing its first-year players, and it looks like they have a good mix of guards and big men. Liam Simpson was the RI Gatorade Player of the Year and looks like a big body inside, while Jake Agolli is a 6-11 player was a highly ranked player in Georgia last year.

Watching film of this international guard they got, Mert Gocer looks like a complete scorer. He's 6-5 and has a great handle, is creative around the rim and can shoot it. He was very good at Loomis (All-NEPSAC), and played internationally for Turkiye including the FIBA U18 EuroBasket tournament. That's no joke. There is a log jam at guard for Tufts, though the "scorer" guard role is somewhat vacated with Morakis moving on.

I've heard good things about the other first-years as well. Jack Coco played for the best team in NY in Stepinac. He's a winner, and looks built in the Kennelly mold. Total gamer.

Excited about this class.
#5
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
March 08, 2026, 09:04:54 AM
Quote from: jumbomumbo on March 07, 2026, 10:15:26 PMWhat a night.  Where do I start?

1. Josh Bernstein. 24 points on 11-15 from the field. 10 boards. 3 assists. Kid worked his arse off in the off season and finally producing like we all thought he could when it matters most. Just throw the ball to the big guy and let him make a play.

2. Coach Linton. Has to be the NESCAC hire of the decade. In 5 seasons with tufts he's now in his second sweet 16, 4th NCAA tournament appearance. Just missing that NESCAC title, which is clearly on the horizon. The ability to recruit has been above and beyond any team in this league. Has to have above an .800 record and that includes a disaster first year which was not his fault. Every other coach in tufts history is somewhere around  .480 and below. And I'd love if someone could whip up historical records of each coach in the NESCAC with a 5 year history minimum. Has to be at the top.

3. Did anyone catch the Endicott game? Why the frick are we sending teams to butt-frick Indiana for elite 8 games when you can have a mini Cameron indoor on campus? A huge miss that Charlie Baker must fix. Does that guy even know a single result of what has transpired in D3 hoops these past 48 hours? Get with the times and let teams host UNTIL THE FINAL 4. Also, the CNU game ended 4 hours ago and the website still says there's 18 seconds left with a 29 point CNU lead. What's going on there Charlie? It's 2026. Get with it. Hire an intern or something. Claude. Grok. ANYTHING.

It's official, IWU is hosting Endicott next weekend. They must not have put into host since maybe its Spring Break starting Friday...

I was at the game on Saturday, and the difference was Tufts going to a man-to-man defense late in the first half. The length and size of Tufts made doing anything for Catholic very hard. I will say this though, Catholic's a very good team, they'd be a top-half team in the NESCAC for sure. Aaron Kelly and his group do a really good job, and the CJ Ruoff player was legit.

The only thing I'll say is that while the balance on offense has been solid for the Jumbos, they're really missing a guy that can create and make consistent offense happen from the perimeter. It looks like Nieves could be that guy in time.

I wonder if Gyimesi comes back next weekend at Wesleyan. I guess we'll see, but good to see the Jumbos not have to play him this weekend if he indeed is close.
#6
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
March 03, 2026, 04:19:32 PM
Excited to get back to it this weekend for some NCAA action...

Looking at league awards, when does that even come out? Soon, saw NESCAC released hockey today, maybe later this week. I still think Scott Gyimesi is going to be POTY, for his career body of work. I just have that hunch, saw it a couple years ago in football with Michael Berluti at 1st Team QB. Coaches tend to do that.

I assume there will be two All-NESCAC Jumbos, I'll say Bernstein gets 2nd Team over Medley by a slight edge.

Reilly has to be COTY, and Neville ROTY.

Good luck to all teams this week.



#7
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
February 23, 2026, 09:51:49 AM
Re: Cuevas...first of all, supreme talent. Watched the Trinity-Bowdoin game, and he was obviously the first, second and third option, and Trinity was doing everything they could to stop him. I don't doubt his ability, but to me, the POTY needs to come from a team that's near the top of the standings...if not the regular season champion. That's just me, but Pohlman or Gyimesi would get my vote this year. The times I've watched those two guys, I just feel their importance to their teams on squads that went 8-2 in the league. Maybe it's not a MVP award, and just straight POTY, but to me I just feel like this is the way it's going to go. Also, there definitely is a "career award" piece to this, thus why I think one of the Trinity guys or Gyimesi is going to get it. So, my vote Pohlman or Gyimesi, thought is Gyimesi or Vetter/Okorougo get it.

Lastly, end of the Bowdoin-Trin game was interesting in that at the end, Cosgrove came out onto the floor for some reason (there wasn't an altercation at all, or it didn't seem like it on the broadcast) and pushed his players back to the bench including Trevor Macdonald in the face. Anyone know why?
#8
Region 1 women's basketball / Re: WBB: NESCAC
February 17, 2026, 09:14:31 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 17, 2026, 02:23:46 PM
Quote from: ItsATuftSituation on February 17, 2026, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: scorpio on January 10, 2026, 09:55:39 PMDoes anyone know why Amherst and Smith College do not play annually in the regular season?

The two colleges are separated by 8 miles and have both gone to multiple Final 4s in recent years.  It seems like it would be a great Division 3 non-conference game. I wonder if one school is ducking the other in this situation.

Okay...then what opinion would yours be to be the most plausible? I'm giving you my best take, what's yours?
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 17, 2026, 02:23:46 PM
Quote from: ItsATuftSituation on February 17, 2026, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: scorpio on January 10, 2026, 09:55:39 PMDoes anyone know why Amherst and Smith College do not play annually in the regular season?

The two colleges are separated by 8 miles and have both gone to multiple Final 4s in recent years.  It seems like it would be a great Division 3 non-conference game. I wonder if one school is ducking the other in this situation.

Well...both GP and Lynn both started at their respective schools in 2007-08. I wonder if Lynn was upset she didn't get the job at Amherst after being an assistant there for six years, and said I'm all set on playing Amherst again. Seems like the most plausible explanation.


I do not find that explanation the most plausible.

Well...both GP and Lynn both started at their respective schools in 2007-08. I wonder if Lynn was upset she didn't get the job at Amherst after being an assistant there for six years, and said I'm all set on playing Amherst again. Seems like the most plausible explanation.


I do not find that explanation the most plausible.

I don't really care, I just gave my best guess at why they don't play. What's your explanation then Ryan?
#9
Region 1 women's basketball / Re: WBB: NESCAC
February 17, 2026, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: scorpio on January 10, 2026, 09:55:39 PMDoes anyone know why Amherst and Smith College do not play annually in the regular season?

The two colleges are separated by 8 miles and have both gone to multiple Final 4s in recent years.  It seems like it would be a great Division 3 non-conference game. I wonder if one school is ducking the other in this situation.

Well...both GP and Lynn both started at their respective schools in 2007-08. I wonder if Lynn was upset she didn't get the job at Amherst after being an assistant there for six years, and said I'm all set on playing Amherst again. Seems like the most plausible explanation.
#10
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
February 01, 2026, 10:17:26 PM
Watched both Tufts games this week, and was super impressed with Wesleyan. They work hard defensively, Edelman and Hauser are effective big men that get their roles and Pohlman is very crafty. They're just a rock solid basketball team. Also likes the energy their 2nd unit brought, though Watson could cool it with some his extra curriculars. Despite that, he's quick and effective and certainly brings a spark.

Trinity is still really good, and their starting 5 is the best in the league. It just is. But they aren't getting much from their bench beyond Barry. Stats are skewed Saturday because it was senior day at Tufts, but let's just take the typical backups for Tufts and it something like 30-12 in bench points. Nieves and Nyamwaya were huge in that game.

I still like this Jumbo team and their ability to match any style, with their larger lineup with Bernstein or going smaller and more athletic. I'm also not done with Morakis, I still think he has a legacy game coming at some point, but I'm a romantic and want the lasting memory of him to be the games that he took over and was so fun to watch.

Last thing, Jon Medley probably won't get all conference but he would on my ballot and his intangibles are what makes winning teams.
#11
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
January 27, 2026, 10:42:08 AM
Quote from: NEhoops on January 26, 2026, 03:32:03 PMItsATuftSituation - I heard it was an interesting end to that game, specifically the final possession. Any more details, what was your perspective?

Yeah, so...It looked like they wanted to set the play up on the side, but the ball was underneath. So, they ran a play to get the ball up top to call a timeout? It was unclear honestly. There was 1.5 seconds left, the clock ran while the inbounds was in the air, and then they stopped it...then the shot was whistled down because of the timing error. They talked about it and gave the ball back to Conn with 1.2 seconds to go on the side near the bench. The shot off the inbounds was no good, though I think it was after the buzzer. The clock all game was kind of bad, the timing and shot clocks were off a few times. It happens, but just a tough day at the office.
#12
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
January 26, 2026, 07:48:20 AM
Situation here...I was at the Conn. and Tufts game on Saturday and I think it's time we start to give Joshua Bernstein a little more love on this board.

I'm not saying that he's a lock to make All-NESCAC, and maybe he shouldn't be. But he's a difference maker, shooting 67 percent for the season, averaging nearly 10 boards. But more importantly is his improved confidence with the ball in his hands not at the rim. He has become a better passer, can handle it (made a Conn. player fall down with a crossover Saturday). He also has been better about his fouling.

Should be entertaining this weekend in Medford with the CT teams coming to town.

#13
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
January 23, 2026, 11:39:04 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 23, 2026, 08:26:22 AM
Quote from: toad22 on January 22, 2026, 09:00:06 PM
Quote from: D3BBALL on January 22, 2026, 08:55:52 PMIf you are the odd team in the league, there is 1 weekend you don't have a conference game. This weekend the teams that travel together play each other, so the odd team doesn't play.

Thank the Presidents for letting Hamilton back in the league.

Just to stir up some good conversations: if the NESCAC were to add one more to get back to even, which school would you like to see it be?

The feel like the correct answers are either Vassar or Brandeis. The travel partner aspect of Vassar makes sense going west, while still close to most of the Mass. and Conn. schools. Fundamentally, Brandeis is a liberal arts college, though the law school and research aspects would make them somewhat of an outlier. MIT and Babson don't fit the academic models of the NESCAC, despite their academic rigor. Brandeis though joined the NEWMAC for women's lacrosse, so if they ever did leave the UAA, I suspect it would be to join the NEWMAC.
#14
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
January 16, 2026, 11:04:24 PM
I don't post a lot on here because...well, I just don't have the passion to do so. But tonight, I was at the Tufts-Williams game and oh boy.

I've been around a long time, this has to be the most uninspired Williams team I've ever seen. Not having Lee obviously hurts them, but they're just not really all that good. Not that it's a surprise to people that have seen them play this season, but I'm not entirely sure they have a player in their lineup that starts for any of the top 4-5 teams in the league.

Now, Tufts did make it super hard for them to do anything...but 2-21 shooting from three? That's not defense, especially in the first half when they were getting open looks. I don't know, just a bad game, but 36 points? Yikes.

On the Tufts' side, good to see them be fine with Gyimesi in foul trouble. Defensive intensity was great and their wing depth defensively is impressive with Reilly, Medley, Watt, Wooten and Nieves all making it tough for guards.
#15
Region 1 men's basketball / Re: MBB: NESCAC
January 09, 2026, 12:38:29 PM
Predictions for the weekend:

Friday
Colby 72 Conn 59
Bates 65 Amherst 69
Williams 66 Wesleyan 65
Trinity 87 Middlebury 60
Tufts 77 Bowdoin 70

Saturday
Wesleyan 70 Middlebury 56
Tufts 80 Colby 71
Trinity 80 Williams 57
Conn 76 Bowdoin 81

Sunday
Bates 75 Hamilton 61