ODAC

Started by D3 Dad, June 02, 2023, 11:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jknezek

Region VI 10/6 USC rankings:

Rank    School    Prev    W-L-T
1    Washington & Lee University    NR    8-1-0
2    University of Lynchburg    NR    7-1-2
3    Emory University    NR    7-1-2
4    Christopher Newport University    NR    6-1-1
5    Salisbury University    NR    8-1-2
6    Hampden-Sydney College    NR    7-1-2
7    Sewanee-University of the South    NR    7-2-2
8    Greensboro College    NR    6-0-3

I just don't like W&L ahead of Lynchburg. I get it, 3 blemishes to 1. But W&L lost to Lynchburg, at home. And I've seen them both play. Grant it the loss was the first game, and the games I watched were early, but Lynchburg looked better. Maybe it has changed, and I'm not a stickler for one result lasting all season. I'm just not sure now is the time.

They have 4 games in common. The early h2h in Lexington, Lynchburg, the games against Covenant and M'Ville, Lynchburg had much better results, and UMW, which favors W&L. Recency bias says W&L, everything else says Lynchburg.

In the end it probably doesn't matter. They should be the last two standing in the ODAC, one with the AQ and the other, barring a disastrous run of form, should get an at-large.

Another Mom

Did you watch the W&L Lynchburg game? I did, and I did not think Lynchburg looked all that good, although of course they won. (W&L didn't look great either, I should also say!). But Lynchburg really were not impressive.

I would guess by now they are playing better, as clearly W&L is as well.

Hopkins92

I think at almost every level, you have to take the first game of the season with a boulder-sized "grain" of salt. I don't think a team really develops an identity until 4-5 games in. The first two weeks, you are figuring out whether guys who show out in scrimmages and practices actually translate to a collegiate-level game (for the young guys).

And the rest of the squad, depending on graduation/attrition, often fills new roles and is asked to step up beyond where they were the last 1 or 2 seasons.

I know these may seem like obvious points, but I don't think it's all that fair to look at G1 or G2 and make season-long pronouncements. Especially at the level of programs like W&L and/or Lynchburg.

jknezek

Quote from: Hopkins92 on Yesterday at 12:22:03 PMI know these may seem like obvious points, but I don't think it's all that fair to look at G1 or G2 and make season-long pronouncements. Especially at the level of programs like W&L and/or Lynchburg.

I'm here with you. I don't think it should last all season, that's crazy. But there are 4 common opponents (counting the h2h) and only one result favored W&L. It was the most recent, so I can see it from that point of view, but I might have waited another week. Between now and Saturday they add 3 more common opponent games.

jknezek

Quote from: Another Mom on Yesterday at 12:08:40 PMDid you watch the W&L Lynchburg game? I did, and I did not think Lynchburg looked all that good, although of course they won. (W&L didn't look great either, I should also say!). But Lynchburg really were not impressive.

I would guess by now they are playing better, as clearly W&L is as well.

I didn't but I saw how W&L played Covenant and Maryville and how Lynchburg handled them and it was very different. In the end, as I said, it doesn't really matter, but if I was voting, I'd have waited for a few more common opponents to see whose way they go. A h2h is kind of important, winning the h2h on the road is important, but it does get less important with every week that goes on. So maybe just my preference?

CollegeSoccerFan

After Lynchburg's win over HSC yesterday, it seems there's two at the top and then the field. Lynchburg-W&L round 2 should be a fun watch (hopefully get a round 3)

jknezek

Quote from: CollegeSoccerFan on Today at 04:23:40 PMAfter Lynchburg's win over HSC yesterday, it seems there's two at the top and then the field. Lynchburg-W&L round 2 should be a fun watch (hopefully get a round 3)

Yeah. H-SC dropped into the 50s in NPI. They will need to basically win out (less the conference final) to get in. Or just win the conference tournament. But no one else is really in the running. W&L and Lynchburg need to win the games they are expected to win and it will be fine.

How is Batten 1-5-5?