FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 115 Guests are viewing this topic.

raiderpa

From what I see, Mount Union does not possess the All-American player that it is used to having on both sides of the ball.  Dartt, Kappas, and Bruney, all played with these types of players and benefitted from their presence.  They are seemingly coaching and play calling like these types of players are on the field and they are not.  I believe they have to change their mind set to player development to bring the players they have to their highest potential. This is what LK did in early days before he started to get the cream of the crop. All-American players are motivating to other teammates to get better, I don't see that at the moment. As I see it, and I am no expert by any means, I think player development, and finding a few gems in the rough, is the path forward.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

My biggest concern is that Maloney seems to throw into coverage quite often this year. I'm not sure if the reads are different or what's going on, but he seems to force a lot of passes to receivers who are not open.

I've also heard that when Burke came in, he completely changed the terminology of the offense.

Obviously that's his right to do as an offensive coordinator, but I would think he would want to adjust his scheme to what was working and just tweak things.

But maybe he thought it needed a total reset.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

MUC 2008

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on Today at 10:47:21 AMMy biggest concern is that Maloney seems to throw into coverage quite often this year. I'm not sure if the reads are different or what's going on, but he seems to force a lot of passes to receivers who are not open.

I've also heard that when Burke came in, he completely changed the terminology of the offense.

Obviously that's his right to do as an offensive coordinator, but I would think he would want to adjust his scheme to what was working and just tweak things.

But maybe he thought it needed a total reset.

I could see the desire for a reset.

However, and call me impatient or ignorant if you will, but this offense is, so far, even less imaginative and effective as the previous one - no small task to accomplish.

pradierguy

The only redeeming thing this season will be when the big bad mighty Yellow Jackets come rolling into Alliance with the highest of expectations and swagger only for them to remember they're Baldwin Wallace and ultimately pee down their legs and choke away a playoff spot.

USee

I have an honest question for you guys. I understand the desire to make a change at HC. I also realize that to win national championships consistently it takes institutional alignment across the University (recruiting, admissions, financial aid, compensation, etc). I remember Augustana in the 80's (4 straight National Championships) had a massive advantage in financial aid that allowed them to capture much more of the Chicago area talent than their conference competitors. I know North Central has an athletic friendly administration, access to a lot of funding (6+ full time coaches), and collaboration with admissions on recruiting and financial aid. Brad Spencer has benefitted from the structure put in place with the Thorne regimes. Augustana lost much of their advantage after Bob Reade Retired. UWW has struggled to get back to the top under new head coaches and some of their recruiting advantage has seemingly spread to other WIAC schools. 

Has anything outside of the HC changed for Mt Union? If so, changing the HC, while its the lowest hanging fruit, may not be the (only) answer.

#1OacFan

The AD has Changed.


Look at the JCU's Staff. That is a school that is pumping Money into Football!

pradierguy

Quote from: USee on Today at 12:11:39 PMHas anything outside of the HC changed for Mt Union? If so, changing the HC, while its the lowest hanging fruit, may not be the (only) answer.

Yes, the University as a whole has changed significantly. It seems more concerned with diversity and inclusion and less about educational and athletic success. And that is totally and completely fine, no issues with it as long as they realize a significantly large portion of their alum base were athletes, most specifically successful football players. So when they no longer have interest in the school or program, they take their dollars with them.

Taking the program for granted as a cash cow to get butts in classroom seats and to fundraise works great when you're winning 3+ National Championships a decade.

But when you're a "hoping for the OAC playoff spot" quality program, it isn't as attractive.

There was a point in time when Football and winning was priority number one organizationally across campus. It isn't anymore. And again that is totally fine, as long as you're willing to deal with the consequences.

BergAlum2

Quote from: #1OacFan on Today at 01:49:37 PMThe AD has Changed.


Look at the JCU's Staff. That is a school that is pumping Money into Football!

Got me to look at their Coaches page, didn't realize ONU's Dean Paul was now JCU's Defensive Coordinator