Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ron Boerger

I think there are a lot of colleges that don't want to be in the business of opening a totally new campus with a totally new focus (politics or no) halfway across the country.  Getting a billion to sweeten the pot for the existing campus certainly is an incentive for those schools that are comfortable with the proposed model, however.

CarollFan

Quote from: jknezek on Today at 11:04:04 AM
Quote from: WUPHF on Today at 10:58:33 AM
Quote from: CarollFan on Today at 10:51:00 AMFor sure but he has billions more. He has done a lot of philanthropy around education. I'm sure some these chancellors have him or his people on speed dial. ;D

This is unquestionably true.

I might add, if any Division III institution was going to turn down Ken Griffin on principle, it would be the University of Chicago.
I don't know, off the top of my head, NYU might. I'd also say Johns Hopkins might if they thought it would alienate Bloomberg. Money and politics go hand in hand...

Yes the political stuff looks like it works both ways. I read Griffin had halted donations to his alma mater Harvard because he didn't like how leadership was handling some events. I'm avoiding getting into details because I've found on any message board once you bring up politics things go south real quick. ;D

IC798891

#4487
Quote from: jknezek on Today at 10:33:30 AMIthaca has one in Los Angeles for some reason.

To provide semester-long film and television industry internships for the film and TV production majors -- two of the things IC stands out in nationally -- so that those internships don't just become summer opportunities for students who can afford to do unpaid internships and not work

jknezek

Quote from: IC798891 on Today at 11:39:44 AM
Quote from: jknezek on Today at 10:33:30 AMIthaca has one in Los Angeles for some reason.

To provide semester-long film and television industry internships for the film and TV production majors -- two of the things IC stands out in nationally -- so that those internships don't just become summer opportunities for students who can afford to do unpaid internships and not work

Thanks for the color.

IC798891

Quote from: jknezek on Today at 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: IC798891 on Today at 11:39:44 AM
Quote from: jknezek on Today at 10:33:30 AMIthaca has one in Los Angeles for some reason.

To provide semester-long film and television industry internships for the film and TV production majors -- two of the things IC stands out in nationally -- so that those internships don't just become summer opportunities for students who can afford to do unpaid internships and not work

Thanks for the color.

I hope I did not come across as snarky, I didn't intend to.

The dean at the time saw that industry internships were (as the often still are) unpaid, and so that the student population who could typically take advantage of them was not only small, but the same type of student: from a well-off family that could foot the bill for the summer, and he wanted to expand those opportunities to everyone.

The overall cost, last I knew, was roughly similar, though there are variables, obviously

Patrick Coleman

Catholic University has a satellite campus in Tucson, Arizona. Relatively new endeavor.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: IC798891 on Today at 12:29:03 PM
Quote from: jknezek on Today at 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: IC798891 on Today at 11:39:44 AM
Quote from: jknezek on Today at 10:33:30 AMIthaca has one in Los Angeles for some reason.

To provide semester-long film and television industry internships for the film and TV production majors -- two of the things IC stands out in nationally -- so that those internships don't just become summer opportunities for students who can afford to do unpaid internships and not work

Thanks for the color.

I hope I did not come across as snarky, I didn't intend to.

The dean at the time saw that industry internships were (as the often still are) unpaid, and so that the student population who could typically take advantage of them was not only small, but the same type of student: from a well-off family that could foot the bill for the summer, and he wanted to expand those opportunities to everyone.

The overall cost, last I knew, was roughly similar, though there are variables, obviously

No, I didn't think it was snarky. Sorry, it's my work day and I sunk into some industry jargon. "Color" in the bond markets means helpful information. My fault.

WUPHF

Quote from: jknezek on Today at 11:04:04 AMI don't know, off the top of my head, NYU might. I'd also say Johns Hopkins might if they thought it would alienate Bloomberg. Money and politics go hand in hand...

Hopkins, definitely.

I do wonder if NYU would accept another major gift from John Paulson if he offered that today.  Vanderbilt would, but NYU might pass.  Hard to say.