FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

USee

NCC v IWU is a similar matchup to Wheaton v Carthage.

IWU is better than I projected them to be. That is due to a couple of factors. One move they made was to put Brinton Wilkey at OLB from safety and the emergence of Kopeke and Staley have been surprising. Wilkey's versatily is a huge asset to this defense. Their DL are also much better than I projected and new DC Jeff McDonald has them bought in to stop the run, limit big plays, and tackle.

On offense we knew their OL and QB positions were solid. Morgan Alexander has been  a very productive player at RB and the Titans have not turned the ball over this year (1 fumble late in game vs NWU). They have been efficient with their opportunities in the redzone (5 TD's in 6 visits).

If you can stop the run and protect the football, you will have a chance to win most games.

North Central, despite the 126 yds from Austin Bruenig, still struggles to run the ball in their first game averaging a meager 3.5 yds per attempt (37 att for 130 yds after taking out a 40 yd loss for a punt snap over head of punter). They still have arguably the best QB in D3 and an absolute monster at WR in Ryan Kuhl, but IWU can game plan to take away Kuhl and make NCC beat them in other areas. Remember last year NCC won on the back of 6 Bauer INT's. I expect a much closer game Saturday.

iwu70

Thanks, USee, for the assessment.  What you say about Carthage makes a lot of sense and it scares me going forward.  They may be much stronger than we thought too.

I agree that IWU needs to play the tough tough D they've been playing and limit the TOs on Offense, giving themselves a chance to win in Naperville.  Bauer is much improved and the two new IWU RBs are pretty good -- perhaps up there in productivity with last years good RB.  We'll see.

Should be a very interesting defining weekend for the CCIW race.

IWU'70

USee

I think we have 4 top 25 teams in the CCIW this year. Those top 4 are as strong as we have maybe ever had as a group and would match up with any leagues top 4.  I don't remember that ever being the case in the CCIW.  We have had 3 too 25 teams several times. Don't remember ever having 4

79jaybird

Looking at the NPU/EC game,  a couple of thoughts.

Elmhurst has to find a way to get their defense off the field.  Means holding them to short gains on 1st/2nd down and preventing the Park from having 3rd and short.  Would like to see the D-Line get a little more effective.  On offense,   the Jays need more production from their "skilled" guys.  Orlando cannot be a 1-man show and Elmhurst 1 dimensional.

I think this will stay pretty close, perhaps within 1-2 scores, but if Elmhurst is able to pull off the upset,  they will need to make some quality adjustments at halftime and execute in the second half.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018  & 2024 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Gregory Sager

Quote from: 79jaybird on September 14, 2017, 10:21:53 AM
Looking at the NPU/EC game,  a couple of thoughts.

Elmhurst has to find a way to get their defense off the field.  Means holding them to short gains on 1st/2nd down and preventing the Park from having 3rd and short.  Would like to see the D-Line get a little more effective.  On offense,   the Jays need more production from their "skilled" guys.  Orlando cannot be a 1-man show and Elmhurst 1 dimensional.

I think this will stay pretty close, perhaps within 1-2 scores, but if Elmhurst is able to pull off the upset,  they will need to make some quality adjustments at halftime and execute in the second half.

"Upset"? Based upon what, Mark? This season's records? They're hardly applicable. Last season Elmhurst blew the doors off of the Vikings, 42-10. NPU hasn't beaten a team that wasn't wearing Anderson Ravens livery since the Vikings topped Illinois Wesleyan to end the 2015 season. Massey's got the 'jays as a seven-point favorite, for what that's worth.

I'm not buying the idea that Elmhurst is the underdog. I think it's NPU.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

Gregory Sager

Speaking of Massey:


Augustana 31, @ Carroll 20  (AC 77%, CU 23%)
@ Wheaton 30, Carthage 16  (WC 80%, CC 20%)
Elmhurst 21, @ North Park 14  (EC 70%, NPU 30%)
@ North Central 28, Illinois Wesleyan 21  (NCC 72%, IWU 28%)

Millikin has the bye.

It's interesting how Ken Massey's HAL 9000 doesn't forecast any particularly close CCIW games this week.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

USee

I would definitely make NPU the favorite for this game, but not by much. NPU beat Anderson (no surprise) and performed much better than I expected against Midlands. Dissapointing as that loss was, I didn't expect it to be that close. I think NPU is playing well on defense and finding themselves offensively.

I dont' see a lot of positives coming out of Elmhurst. They have given up a lot of points to some average teams and Emilio Estevez can't carry them on offense forever.

I see NPU by 7 Saturday.



Gregory Sager

Emilio Estevez? I think not. Orlando Hernandez is obviously the long-lost son of Scott Baio.

I know it's too early to give Massey much credence, but I think that Ken's computer got the line right for this one. The 'jays have a big advantage at the most important position on the field.

Of course, I'll be more than happy for you to prove me wrong, Obi-Wan.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

USee

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 14, 2017, 11:23:35 AM
Emilio Estevez? I think not. Orlando Hernandez is obviously the long-lost son of Scott Baio.

I know it's too early to give Massey much credence, but I think that Ken's computer got the line right for this one. The 'jays have a big advantage at the most important position on the field.

Of course, I'll be more than happy for you to prove me wrong, Obi-Wan.

HansenRatings has this as a pick em, FYI

USee

Quote from: USee on September 13, 2017, 01:16:44 PM
NCC v IWU is a similar matchup to Wheaton v Carthage.

IWU is better than I projected them to be. That is due to a couple of factors. One move they made was to put Brinton Wilkey at OLB from safety and the emergence of Kopeke and Staley have been surprising. Wilkey's versatily is a huge asset to this defense. Their DL are also much better than I projected and new DC Jeff McDonald has them bought in to stop the run, limit big plays, and tackle.

On offense we knew their OL and QB positions were solid. Morgan Alexander has been  a very productive player at RB and the Titans have not turned the ball over this year (1 fumble late in game vs NWU). They have been efficient with their opportunities in the redzone (5 TD's in 6 visits).

If you can stop the run and protect the football, you will have a chance to win most games.

North Central, despite the 126 yds from Austin Bruenig, still struggles to run the ball in their first game averaging a meager 3.5 yds per attempt (37 att for 130 yds after taking out a 40 yd loss for a punt snap over head of punter). They still have arguably the best QB in D3 and an absolute monster at WR in Ryan Kuhl, but IWU can game plan to take away Kuhl and make NCC beat them in other areas. Remember last year NCC won on the back of 6 Bauer INT's. I expect a much closer game Saturday.

I should note another big personnel move NCC made that has strengthened their team is to move Justin Stuursma back to Safety. They were depleted in the secondary after last year and Stuursma was a safety 2 years ago but spent last year as an OLB, earning all conference honors. This move frees up DJ Warkenthien to be a full time LB along w Tommy Sora and Tyler Oakley. NCC's defense is much stronger after this move.

79jaybird

Perhaps,  I just have a gut feeling Elmhurst is going to have their hands full Saturday. 

Side note-  saw on the CCIW board Bob Bonn at Carthage plans to retire.  I had the joy of meeting Bob a few times over the years.  He is a class act and a big promoter of D-III athletics.  I hope his successor is just as solid.  Wish you the best in your retirement Bob.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018  & 2024 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 14, 2017, 10:57:52 AM
Speaking of Massey:


Augustana 31, @ Carroll 20  (AC 77%, CU 23%)
@ Wheaton 30, Carthage 16  (WC 80%, CC 20%)
Elmhurst 21, @ North Park 14  (EC 70%, NPU 30%)
@ North Central 28, Illinois Wesleyan 21  (NCC 72%, IWU 28%)

Millikin has the bye.

It's interesting how Ken Massey's HAL 9000 doesn't forecast any particularly close CCIW games this week.

I think the AC/Carroll and WC/Carthage games are about right.
It seems the EC/NP game is pretty much a toss-up. Does either team have an especially good FG kicker?
While there is no reason NCC should't be confident, I doubt that they are approaching the game with the idea that IWU has less than a 1/3 chance to come away with a W. That would suggest the Cardinals only need to have a pretty average game to be victorious. I'm sure the coaches have impressed upon the team that maximum effort and execution throughout will be the only way they will even approach having a 72% chance of winning.

USee

I am a Wheaton guy (as a fan and in principle--so I don't typically wager) but I'll take Carthage and 14 points for as much as anyone wants. Any takers?

Neverwas

I will take that bet.  Lunch at McCully during the Homecoming Game. :)

Gregory Sager

#34469
Quote from: AndOne on September 14, 2017, 03:06:13 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 14, 2017, 10:57:52 AM
Speaking of Massey:


Augustana 31, @ Carroll 20  (AC 77%, CU 23%)
@ Wheaton 30, Carthage 16  (WC 80%, CC 20%)
Elmhurst 21, @ North Park 14  (EC 70%, NPU 30%)
@ North Central 28, Illinois Wesleyan 21  (NCC 72%, IWU 28%)

Millikin has the bye.

It's interesting how Ken Massey's HAL 9000 doesn't forecast any particularly close CCIW games this week.

I think the AC/Carroll and WC/Carthage games are about right.
It seems the EC/NP game is pretty much a toss-up. Does either team have an especially good FG kicker?

NPU's field goal kicker, sophomore Alex Santillan, is accurate but hasn't exhibited great range. He is 7-7 thus far in his career at NPU, but his longest is the one he kicked at Anderson two weeks ago, and that was a relatively modest 34 yards. NPU drove the ball all the way down to the Midland 23 on the Vikings' first drive last Saturday, and then elected to go for it on 4th and 8 rather than have Santillan attempt a 40-yarder from the middle of the hashmarks. The Vikings failed on that 4th and 8, turning over the ball on downs. (It was the first of two straight drives in which they went from deep in their own territory to inside the Midland 35 and then turned it over after failing to make a 4th and long.) The fact that the North Park head coach is gambling with the offense in that sort of situation rather than trotting out Santillan tells me that Mike Conway's confidence in Santillan's leg strength is limited.

In the Anderson game, after Santillan had kicked the 34-yarder, Mike Conway sent out freshman Noah Reich, who appears to have a stronger leg than Santillan (based upon what I've seen of the two of them both in place-kicking and on kickoffs), kick a 43-yard attempt. It sailed wide right.

Elmhurst's kicker, Blake Bailey, has a 41-yarder to his credit (last season against IWU), and he's 7-9 as a FG kicker in his twelve games as the kicker for the 'jays. His problem seems to be PATs; he was 31-35 last season and is only 2-4 this season. Santillan, by contrast, is a perfect 25-25 on PATs at this point in his career for North Park.

Quote from: 79jaybird on September 14, 2017, 01:04:45 PM
Perhaps,  I just have a gut feeling Elmhurst is going to have their hands full Saturday. 

I didn't say that Elmhurst wouldn't have its hands full. I'm just saying that I'm skeptical that the 'jays should be considered the underdog at NPU on Saturday.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton