FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

USee

Quote from: mwunder on September 16, 2019, 10:46:33 AM
Quote from: USee on September 14, 2019, 05:42:44 PM
With 7 turnovers in a game they won't contend for any title, or any game.

Ummm, they went in double OT against the #2 team in the WIAC.  What does it mean to "contend" if double OT vs. #23 doesn't fit the definition?

Do you think IWU can win this weekend if they turn it over 5+ times? How many games do you think they will win this year if they turn it over 5x a game?

Patrick Coleman

Quote from: USee on September 16, 2019, 01:22:40 PM
Quote from: mwunder on September 16, 2019, 10:46:33 AM
Quote from: USee on September 14, 2019, 05:42:44 PM
With 7 turnovers in a game they won't contend for any title, or any game.

Ummm, they went in double OT against the #2 team in the WIAC.  What does it mean to "contend" if double OT vs. #23 doesn't fit the definition?

Do you think IWU can win this weekend if they turn it over 5+ times? How many games do you think they will win this year if they turn it over 5x a game?

How many times do you think they will turn it over 5x a game?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

USee

You changed the question. I said they won't contend if they turn it over and I was challenged with that idea. I don't think it's likely they turn it over 7x a game though they did lead the league in turnovers last year at 2.3 per game I believe. It's clear they are trying to run an uptempo offense to try and run more plays. That's a good strategy with the makeup of their offense as they run a ton of RPO and can control the Time of possession, limit their defenses exposure, and get more plays for their playmakers.

They ran 102 plays on Saturday. Typical is usually around 70 plays. So if they run 50% more plays than a year ago, is it a stretch to think their turnovers go up by 50%?

The original statement I made is still pretty safe....IWU won't contend if they turn it over 5+ a game.

Patrick Coleman

I definitely did change the question, since your question kind of seemed like a strawman/moot point.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

Quote from: USee on September 16, 2019, 01:36:38 PM
You changed the question. I said they won't contend if they turn it over and I was challenged with that idea. I don't think it's likely they turn it over 7x a game though they did lead the league in turnovers last year at 2.3 per game I believe. It's clear they are trying to run an uptempo offense to try and run more plays. That's a good strategy with the makeup of their offense as they run a ton of RPO and can control the Time of possession, limit their defenses exposure, and get more plays for their playmakers.

They ran 102 plays on Saturday. Typical is usually around 70 plays. So if they run 50% more plays than a year ago, is it a stretch to think their turnovers go up by 50%?

The original statement I made is still pretty safe....IWU won't contend if they turn it over 5+ a game.

That's an amazing stat - especially when you consider they turned the ball over so many times.

USee

I actually misread the box.

IWU ran 105 plays with 7 turnovers
UWL ran 63 plays with 2 turnovers

I don't think I have ever seen that many plays, that big a difference on plays, all with that many turnovers. Just a very unique game.

kiko

Quote from: USee on September 16, 2019, 01:36:38 PM
You changed the question. I said they won't contend if they turn it over and I was challenged with that idea. I don't think it's likely they turn it over 7x a game though they did lead the league in turnovers last year at 2.3 per game I believe. It's clear they are trying to run an uptempo offense to try and run more plays. That's a good strategy with the makeup of their offense as they run a ton of RPO and can control the Time of possession, limit their defenses exposure, and get more plays for their playmakers.

They ran 102 plays on Saturday. Typical is usually around 70 plays. So if they run 50% more plays than a year ago, is it a stretch to think their turnovers go up by 50%?

The original statement I made is still pretty safe....IWU won't contend if they turn it over 5+ a game.

Your original statement also said they wouldn't contend in any game if they turned it over seven times.  And unless double overtime means something other than what I think it does, they very clearly did.

mwunder

Quote from: USee on September 16, 2019, 01:22:40 PM
Quote from: mwunder on September 16, 2019, 10:46:33 AM
Quote from: USee on September 14, 2019, 05:42:44 PM
With 7 turnovers in a game they won't contend for any title, or any game.

Ummm, they went in double OT against the #2 team in the WIAC.  What does it mean to "contend" if double OT vs. #23 doesn't fit the definition?

Do you think IWU can win this weekend if they turn it over 5+ times? How many games do you think they will win this year if they turn it over 5x a game?

You're missing the overall point of my post USee.  They DID contend in the game which is why it went to double OT.  It's not like UWL scored 49 points off of those 7 TO's and won going away.  Are turnovers bad?  Yes.  Did IWU turn it over a lot?  Yes.  Were they in the game until turnover #7?  Yes, very much so.

You said they wouldn't contend in any game with that amount of turnovers in a game...I say your assertion is incorrect because they were in that game all the way until the final play.  If they turn it over 5 times against Carthage or North Park or Elmhurst or Carroll, it's conceivable that they win all 4 of those games.




To your point about IWU turnovers, the IWU offense better learn how to tackle.

emma17

^^
That's funny.

Outsider's perspective- I get the gist of both sides.
Imo, the interesting stat raised in this discussion is the # of turnovers per # of plays.

USee

Quote from: emma17 on September 17, 2019, 03:09:10 PM
^^
That's funny.

Outsider's perspective- I get the gist of both sides.
Imo, the interesting stat raised in this discussion is the # of turnovers per # of plays.

Last year IWU ran an average of 79 plays per game over 10 games and turned it over 2.1x a game on average (or 1x every 38 plays).  On Saturday, while it is just 1 game, they ran 100 plays in regulation and turned it over 5x (1x per 20 plays). In OT they ran 5 plays over 2 drives and both drives ended in a turnover. Notably, the first possession in OT was after UWL had missed a FG so ANY score wins the game and on 2nd down Bauer threw his 6th INT. IWU started with the ball in the 2nd OT and the strip, scoop and score happened on the 3rd play.


USee

While the IWU @Wheaton game may get much of the attention this week, there is a huge contest in St Louis as NCC visits the Bears on Saturday. WashU has a veteran group returning on both sides and Johnny Davidson was second only to Broc Rutter in accuracy and efficiency. I think WashU is much closer to the top 3 teams in the CCIW than many may believe. WashU is quite capable of playing with the Cardinals.

Should be a great game.

CardinalAlum

Quote from: USee on September 17, 2019, 04:04:14 PM
While the IWU @Wheaton game may get much of the attention this week, there is a huge contest in St Louis as NCC visits the Bears on Saturday. WashU has a veteran group returning on both sides and Johnny Davidson was second only to Broc Rutter in accuracy and efficiency. I think WashU is much closer to the top 3 teams in the CCIW than many may believe. WashU is quite capable of playing with the Cardinals.

Should be a great game.

Completely agree!  NCC expecting a battle. 
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

WUPHF

Quote from: USee on September 17, 2019, 04:04:14 PM
I think WashU is much closer to the top 3 teams in the CCIW than many may believe. WashU is quite capable of playing with the Cardinals.

I am curious as to why anyone would believe otherwise.

Last season, Washington University had a statement win over Wheaton and was a roughing the kicker penalty from taking over possession in a tie game with 7 minutes left against IWU after having Davidson out for much of the first half and scoring two consecutive touchdowns that book-ended an IWU three and out.

Is Wheaton and IWU significantly better this season?


bleedpurple

Quote from: WUPHF on September 18, 2019, 06:39:53 PM
Quote from: USee on September 17, 2019, 04:04:14 PM
I think WashU is much closer to the top 3 teams in the CCIW than many may believe. WashU is quite capable of playing with the Cardinals.

I am curious as to why anyone would believe otherwise.

Last season, Washington University had a statement win over Wheaton and was a roughing the kicker penalty from taking over possession in a tie game with 7 minutes left against IWU after having Davidson out for much of the first half and scoring two consecutive touchdowns that book-ended an IWU three and out.

Is Wheaton and IWU significantly better this season?

I am an outsider, but I think it is probably because the conference is historically top heavy, dominated by the top two or three teams.  I'm guessing that if there was an occasional breakthrough in beating an NCC or a Wheaton, that didn't translate into the upset-puller becoming a year in and year out contender.  If Wash U breaks into the top three this season, I'm sure the expectations will be adjusted going forward.

RRocker

Quote from: CNU85 on September 13, 2019, 06:21:08 AM
Quote from: AndOne on September 12, 2019, 07:54:10 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on September 09, 2019, 08:31:15 AM
Quote from: AndOne on September 07, 2019, 11:16:11 PM
After outmaneuvering Hurricane Dorian to slip into Newport News, VA, the NCC Cardinals also outmaneuvered the home town Christopher Newport Captains to post a 43-13 season opening win. In rolling to the victory, the Cardinals racked up 508 total yards while allowing CNU just 212. They also forced 3 turnovers, and registered 4 quarterback sacks.

NCC All-America QB Broc Rutter completed 27 of 36 passes for 369 yards. Included in those 27 completions were 3 that went for touchdowns. The 3TDs were the 90th, 91st, and 92nd of Rutter's career, and set a new all-time career record for TD passes, surpassing the previous record which had stood since 2007.

One area definitely needing improvement is the kicking game as the Cardinals missed a relatively easy FG, and 2 PATs. That performance won't fly vs. superior opposition, and could easily cost a game.

Kudos to CNU for always trying to fill the schedule with top notch opponents. It's the only way to measure where you are. Unfortunately, the first game of the year is always tough, and especially against teams like NCC. They weer big and fast. Even the crazy travel didn't deter them.

CNU has a ways to go to return to the top 25 and higher. But we are making strides. Our coach is just starting his 3rd year after taking over for a CNU legend. I think the program overall is on the right track. 

I did meet with the President of NCC and chatted a bit. Very down to earth guy. Was good chatting with him for a bit. I just may make the return trip next year.

NCC President Troy Hammond attended the women's volleyball tournament which lasted until about 9:00 last Friday night. On Saturday morning he and Rick Spencer, NCC VP of Institutional Advancement, got up at 4:30 AM to catch a flight to Newport News, VA in order to attend the NCC @ CNU football game.
Very nice to have a President who naturally promotes the academic advancement of the College first, but who is also strongly supportive of its athletic endeavors as well.  8-)

Indeed. For any program to be successful it must have administrative support from the top. This definitely shows he's "all in".  I know our President, a former US Senator, attends many games at home and on the road. He's been to ST Louis to watch the women's Volleyball team in the National Finals. This past basketball season I drove to the final four in Ft Wayne to cheer on the Captains. There he was. And I think he was probably at the women's soccer final four last year too,  but I don't know for sure. Since he took over at CNU in 1996 he has completely changed the culture and campus. There have been approx $1.5 Billion (with a B) in infrastructure additions and improvements. CNU is consistently ranked near the top by all he rankings. Princeton review, poet and quants, US News, etc.

After I met with your President and was at home, I looked him up. When I saw his background I was thinking, "no way that's the same guy I just met in jeans". So I found a picture of him (there's not one in his bio at NCC. Yep, that was him. If I make the trip to NCC next year, I will reach out to him as his last words to me were, "we would love to host you".

I may just do that. I'd love to see the famous at NCC and see what his vision is for NCC. Hint.....he took pictures of the CNU marching band and said he was showing your Provost!! 

From my 5 minute exposure my 8moression is they NCC is on the move and in good hands.

Little late replying but, was able to get to the CNU-NCC game.  Wanted to give a big kudos to the CNU community.  Everyone was there was great.  Very good showing by the NCC crowd.  I was there in the parking lot when Rick and Troy pulled up.  Great commitment by our administration to support athletics.  They basically headed right back to the airport after the game. Look forward to hosting CNU next year.