FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JT2

#14370
I'm not as up on D3 football as I once was... I don't catch every Rowan game, and I have no connection to the team like I used to... as it should be. I know more about the Dayton Dragons (Reds-High A) minor league team than I know about Rowan football. We have a partial season package to the Dragons.

It looks like the 2nd year HC recruited well, got some key transfers.

I'm not exactly sure what I was watching hosting VSC at home.

Four picks. Three for TD's. Blocked punt for a safety and 79-0... a school record for total points... three straight shutouts... a school record. Three pick 6's... also a record.

HC started subbing at 42-0... by 56-0 it pretty much all bench. Replacements had a pick 6.

They are a good football team... how good, the next real test is Saturday.

A lot of kids saw time which was good.

I really like some of the backup RB's. One kid is 5'10" 220... fast enough... he was just trucking some dudes on defense. Hopefully, he gets some 1st team touches.

Welcome to Fall.
Tip - Stay young by having your first kid when you're almost 50.

If there are no dogs in Heaven when I die, I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers.

The Third Division

Castleton wishes they could have rejoined the mascac yesterday.

MRMIKESMITH


MRMIKESMITH

Salisbury had a bit of a snooze fest against TCNJ. Kudos to TCNJ, they controlled the clock, shortened the game, and essentially played "chew clock" throughout. Salisbury had to overcome a slow start and several self-inflicted situations. At one point, Salisbury had three personal fouls on a single TCNJ drive, and earlier a holding penalty wiped out what would have been a touchdown.

IMHO, there were stretches where it felt like Salisbury was playing 11 vs. 17, with some of the officiating not doing them any favors. But Salisbury also has to own its part. They never really established a consistent rhythm offensively, and the penalties made that even more difficult. TCNJ deserves credit for its approach, but I came away thinking this was much more about Salisbury not playing its best football than TCNJ completely shutting them down.

I won't say Salisbury was looking ahead, but one team definitely seemed much more enthused early, especially after TCNJ found some initial success running the football. Salisbury eventually settled in and took control, but they'll need to be much sharper this week.

Rowan appears to be firing on all cylinders, and I think its strong OOC schedule has prepared them well for this point in the season. Salisbury hasn't faced quite the same type of schedule, although with so many new and inexperienced players, there is a benefit to giving those younger players time to develop without immediately throwing them into the fire.

Offensively, Salisbury needs to find some explosives outside of the usual suspects. In particular, somebody at WR needs to step up and become another legitimate threat. Rowan can't be allowed to load up on the players who have consistently generated Salisbury's big plays.

Defensively, Salisbury has to be much more stout against the run without sacrificing secondary integrity. Rowan's WRs/skill players will be the best Salisbury has faced this season and probably the best they'll see for the remainder of the regular season. The back four will need to be on their P's and Q's, disciplined, confident, and assignment-sound.

I'm also interested in how Salisbury brings pressure. When they decide to heat Rowan up, they have to do it with confidence and discipline because leaving the secondary exposed against this group could turn into explosives quickly. How Salisbury generates pressure without compromising the back end could be one of the biggest defensive factors in the game.

Finally, special teams need to be better. I'd like to see much better kickoffs and punts this week. There was a lot left on the field against TCNJ in both areas, and against a team like Rowan, field position could end up being a major factor.

Bottom line: Salisbury got through TCNJ despite the slow start, penalties, lack of rhythm, and some questionable officiating. That's fine for one week. Against Rowan, they're going to have to play a much cleaner and more complete football game.

RowanPhan

Let's not beat around the bush—if Rowan wants to shake up the NJAC hierarchy and get over the hump, this is the week to do it. The Profs haven't knocked off Salisbury since 2016, finishing just behind the Sea Gulls and CNU in the standings for the past few years.

After pushing Salisbury to the limit in tight, high-scoring battles recently (including last year's 31-28 loss and 2024's 42-35 thriller), this matchup is the ultimate litmus test for Head Coach Pat Ruley in Year 2. A win here puts Rowan squarely in control of their conference title destiny.

The Profs enter conference play clicking on all cylinders, backed by a defense that's playing lights-out.   
  • Stingy Defense: Coming off back-to-back shutout performances—including a gritty 9-0 defensive masterpiece over Lycoming—the Rowan defense is proving to be as dangerous as advertised.
  • Balanced Offense: Behind Nate Maiers taking shots downfield to playmakers like Michael Zarfati and the backfield punch of Nunes Bukula IV and Tyshawn Bookman, Rowan's offense has shown it can move the ball both through the air and on the ground.

Can Rowan's defense lock down Salisbury's offense and crash the Homecoming festivities, or do the Sea Gulls protect home turf again?
Go Rowan! Brown & Gold!

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: RowanPhan on Today at 03:21:15 PMLet's not beat around the bush—if Rowan wants to shake up the NJAC hierarchy and get over the hump, this is the week to do it. The Profs haven't knocked off Salisbury since 2016, finishing just behind the Sea Gulls and CNU in the standings for the past few years.

After pushing Salisbury to the limit in tight, high-scoring battles recently (including last year's 31-28 loss and 2024's 42-35 thriller), this matchup is the ultimate litmus test for Head Coach Pat Ruley in Year 2. A win here puts Rowan squarely in control of their conference title destiny.

The Profs enter conference play clicking on all cylinders, backed by a defense that's playing lights-out. 
  • Stingy Defense: Coming off back-to-back shutout performances—including a gritty 9-0 defensive masterpiece over Lycoming—the Rowan defense is proving to be as dangerous as advertised.
  • Balanced Offense: Behind Nate Maiers taking shots downfield to playmakers like Michael Zarfati and the backfield punch of Nunes Bukula IV and Tyshawn Bookman, Rowan's offense has shown it can move the ball both through the air and on the ground.

Can Rowan's defense lock down Salisbury's offense and crash the Homecoming festivities, or do the Sea Gulls protect home turf again?

This year somewhat reminds me of 2016, I believe Salisbury came into that game ranked 13th and undefeated. We played some good football that year, but not playoff level. Preseason, I did have both Rowan and CNU 1&2, but like you said, Rowan has to prove it, you have the pieces this year.

With that, excited to see this game and gauge where we are, I know the team is excited and not taking this game lightly and has tremendous respect for you all. Not going to predict a score, but I'm hoping Salisbury wins by 100  ;)