FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobigred425 and 111 Guests are viewing this topic.

Predictions for SJU vs BU in Collegeville Saturday?

Defensive battle in favor of SJU
Defensive battle in favor of BU
More offensive fireworks, with SJU prevailing
More offensive fireworks, with BU prevailing

Voting closes: October 03, 2026, 11:48:26 AM

sjusection105

Random off topic question, what do you feel is the best steak house in the Twin Cities;
-Manny's
-Murray's
-Fogo De Choa
-Pittsburg Blue

Feel free to discuss.....
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

miac952

Quote from: sjusection105 on October 30, 2019, 08:40:27 AM
Random off topic question, what do you feel is the best steak house in the Twin Cities;
-Manny's
-Murray's
-Fogo De Choa
-Pittsburg Blue

Feel free to discuss.....

Fogo seems like a separate category to me, with the Brazilian style.

You listed 3 good ones. I would add Capital Grille and Gianni's as well. Burch is a solid option as well, although it doesn't represent the old steakhouse model. Mancini's is good for the atmosphere. The steak itself trails other options though.

DuffMan

I'm not a big steakhouse guy because I feel like I can make an equal steak at home.  I agree that Fogo is another category.  I do like that place, though.  Talk about a meat coma.  Agreed on Mancini's--the price is also less than the others you mentioned, though.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: '32, '35, '36, '38, '53, '62, '63, '65, '71, '74, '75, '76, '77, '79, '82, '85, '89, '91, '93, '94, '95, '96, '98, '99, '01, '02, '03, '05, '06, '08, '09, '14, '18, '19, '21, '22, '24
National Champions: '63, '65, '76, '03

57Johnnie

Some 35 years ago I regularly had business at a couple of facilities in Nordeast. While not strictly a steakhouse, I found Jax Cafe had good food including steaks and walleye at a reasonable price.
Anybody been there lately?
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

sju#57

Been to most of them, depending on the amount of $$ you want to drop, all of the above are top notch, but I would also add Burch, The Lexington, and even the Porterhouse.
"Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

DuffMan

Quote from: 57Johnnie on October 30, 2019, 11:09:49 AM
I found Jax Cafe had good food including steaks and walleye at a reasonable price.
Anybody been there lately?

Johnnie-owned, too.  It's been a few years, but it's a good place.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: '32, '35, '36, '38, '53, '62, '63, '65, '71, '74, '75, '76, '77, '79, '82, '85, '89, '91, '93, '94, '95, '96, '98, '99, '01, '02, '03, '05, '06, '08, '09, '14, '18, '19, '21, '22, '24
National Champions: '63, '65, '76, '03

jamtod

Quote from: 57Johnnie on October 30, 2019, 11:09:49 AM
Some 35 years ago I regularly had business at a couple of facilities in Nordeast. While not strictly a steakhouse, I found Jax Cafe had good food including steaks and walleye at a reasonable price.
Anybody been there lately?

I've been to Jax a few times. Food is decent enough but the business side has... had it's troubles, let's just say. Probably needs a Tommie to come in and help him sort some things out.

hazzben

Quote from: sjusection105 on October 30, 2019, 08:40:27 AM
Random off topic question, what do you feel is the best steak house in the Twin Cities;
-Manny's
-Murray's
-Fogo De Choa
-Pittsburg Blue

Feel free to discuss.....

Fogo is awesome from a sheer quantity standpoint, but the quality isn't quite the same. It's a different kinda spot.

For me, Pittsburg Blue is the balance between quality and price (and still not cheap). All are good options.

repete

Quote from: DuffMan on October 30, 2019, 08:30:08 AM
Quote from: repete on October 29, 2019, 09:33:20 PM
I'm setting the Cobber pass attempt over/under at 20.

I had to go and look at the Cobber passing stats for 2019:

Loss to UW-Lax, 6 for 22
Loss to UW-W, 9 for 18
Win over Auggie, 4 for 9
Win over Hamline, 5 for 13
Loss to U$T, 3 for 7
Loss to GAC, 0 for 3
Loss to Bethel, 5 for 13

Yeah, I am a bit worried that if the aerial circus tops 20, the good people of Spudtown will be so atwitter that they won't get to sleep until 8:30.

RE: Steak. Big fan of Murray's. The lunch steak is a pretty nice option if you're DT during the day.  Enjoy Fogo, but it is a whole different scene, but glad I talked a former boss into using it for work outings.

Retired Old Rat

Manny's for quality and service. Prices are ridiculous

Mancini's for price performance
   
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

faunch

Quote from: sjusection105 on October 30, 2019, 08:40:27 AM
Random off topic question, what do you feel is the best steak house in the Twin Cities;
-Manny's
-Murray's
-Fogo De Choa
-Pittsburg Blue

Feel free to discuss.....

The Best http://arisbeststeakhouse.com/menu.php


"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

57Johnnie

Quote from: faunch on October 30, 2019, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: sjusection105 on October 30, 2019, 08:40:27 AM
Random off topic question, what do you feel is the best steak house in the Twin Cities;
-Manny's
-Murray's
-Fogo De Choa
-Pittsburg Blue

Feel free to discuss.....

The Best http://arisbeststeakhouse.com/menu.php
Now that is my kind of place. At my age I just want good food and sure don't need to impress. Anybody that has ever been to Philippes in Los Angeles knows what I mean.  :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

faunch

Quote from: 57Johnnie on October 30, 2019, 02:31:40 PM
Quote from: faunch on October 30, 2019, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: sjusection105 on October 30, 2019, 08:40:27 AM
Random off topic question, what do you feel is the best steak house in the Twin Cities;
-Manny's
-Murray's
-Fogo De Choa
-Pittsburg Blue

Feel free to discuss.....
Have never ate there but plan to one night when the wife and kids are out of town.

The Best http://arisbeststeakhouse.com/menu.php
Now that is my kind of place. At my age I just want good food and sure don't need to impress. Anybody that has ever been to Philippes in Los Angeles knows what I mean.  :)


"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Walter Eagle

Quote from: jamtod on October 30, 2019, 12:09:56 PM
Quote from: 57Johnnie on October 30, 2019, 11:09:49 AM
Some 35 years ago I regularly had business at a couple of facilities in Nordeast. While not strictly a steakhouse, I found Jax Cafe had good food including steaks and walleye at a reasonable price.
Anybody been there lately?

I've been to Jax a few times. Food is decent enough but the business side has... had it's troubles, let's just say. Probably needs a Tommie to come in and help him sort some things out.
Went there a few months ago with our dining out group.  Prices were so high most ordered sandwiches, which is very atypical for this group.  Food was OK at best.  Presention non-existent.  Big drop off from the last time I was there 40 years ago.

sjusection105

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on October 30, 2019, 01:30:32 PM
Manny's for quality and service. Prices are ridiculous

Mancini's for price performance
100% agree ROR- we do work events at Manny's about 3-4 times per year. My motto- if the boss is paying- Manny's, if I'm paying Pittsburgh Blue. I believe they are both owned by Parasole Restaurant Holdings.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!