FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

IC798891

And just to clarify, all those things I listed?

All why the Bombers came into the year as one of the top contenders to win the LL crown, why they're probably the favorite 40% of the way through the season, and why there's no reason they can't upset Cortland in Week 10*

*To be sure, I think Ithcaca is going to be 8-1 and that both teams should be ranked at that point (Cortland might be ranked even if they lose to Utica this week) but I suspect the Red Dragons will be decently higher than the Bombers' regardless. Undefeated float is a thing I believe in.

Machiavelli

So apparently I should be picking against RPI each week! I was able to watch the live stream while sitting at a rainy soccer game in the middle of nowhere and Hobart didn't even look competitive to me. Obviously, some similar opponent comparisons make this entire thing more confusing, but I liked what I saw from RPI and I think they finally played to their potential. Hobart just didn't impress me at all and it should've actually been a shutout.

That said, it sets the LL up for a pretty interesting end of year scenario, much like last year. Hobart is in their gauntlet schedule right now with Ithaca and Union up next. I think Ithaca beats them, but I'm not sure on Union yet. Would love to see 'Bart knock off one or both, though.

RPI has what SHOULD be clear sailing with Dilbert, Buff St, Bye, Roch, St. Lawrence, before finishing up with Ithaca and Union. Unless they poop themselves, they should head into the last 2 weeks with LL title in their view. They had the same opportunity last year and lost both games. But needless to say, the LL is wide freaking open right now.

Being that the LL is 'cooked', maybe it doesn't matter at all. But I'd beg to differ. Since the COVID season,(if my research is accurate) the LL is 6-6 in the postseason, with wins over Endicott, Cortland, UMass-Dartmouth, Springfield(twice), and Delaware Valley. Losses were to North Central(twice - Finalist one year, National Champ the other), Hopkins, Randolph-Macon, Susquehanna(Semi-Finalist that year), and Muhlenburg. We have gone 1 and done the last 2 years, but both times against very solid opponents.

No matter how anyone feels during the season, the LL typically competes in the postseason. I don't expect that to be any different this year, even if some random weirdos pop onto this board and say otherwise.

If any one was interested:
RPI - 2-1 (2021 - Beat Endicott and Cortland, lost to Finalist North Central)
Ithaca - 3-2(2022 - Beat UMD, Springfield, lost to National Champ North Central - 2023 - Beat Springfield, Lost to Randolph-Macon)
Union - 1-2 (2023 - Beat Delaware Valley, Lost to Johns Hopkins - 2025 - Lost to Muhlenburg)
Hobart - 0-1 (2024 - Lost to Semifinalist Susquehanna)




Bartman

#57737
Well said Mach. Saturday's game between RPI and Hobart was very strange. The Hobart team looked like they all drank some sort of poison , which I approve investigating, given the importance of this game to RPI. I know Hobart's starting QB was out , but he was replaced by Jeremy Weiss, who had the highest QB passer rating in the LL for 2025 after stepping in for Aidan Conrath last year. I have no explanation when I viewed the available replay which looked like the entire Hobart team was totally listless and imitating the less competitive LL teams. Despite this performance, we will do our best to defy the odds and stay in this race.   
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee

ICGrad

Quote from: IC798891 on Yesterday at 08:46:39 AM
Quote from: ICGrad on September 27, 2026, 07:24:20 PMwhich was not only the first game of the season...but also their new head coach's first game at Ithaca.

I have to disagree with the deeper connotation here. ...

....

*Well, except in that it probably kills the Bombers' Pool C chances, even with a win over Cortland

I agree with all your points while still contending that many teams are still trying to find themselves in that first and second week, and as a result we see some odd results year-in and year-out, at all levels.

Here's hoping it was a glitch. Looking forward to seeing what Ithaca can bring now that the schedule is getting more challenging again.

stlawus

I just want to complete a 1st down

IC798891

I think the "cooked" was in reference to the conference's Pool C chances, which are dead in the water.

The best case scenario is an 8-2 Ithaca with a loss to Hopkins and a win over Cortland. But we saw that movie last year, and it didn't end with the Bombers' in the playoffs.

A 9-1 LL champ Ithaca probably gets a winnable game in Round 1.

Predictions:
RPI 67, Hilbert 3
Union 37, St. Lawrence 6
Rochester 42, Buff State 13

None of these games seem all that meaningful to me, unless Union dozes through another lackluster first half.

Ithaca 27, Hobart 20

The Bombers have been the victim of some self inflicted wounds on offense this year, and I think Hobart's best chances are to keep it close, ride Taylor for like, 175 yards and two scores, and see if they can pressure the Bombers' offense into an untimely pick or penalty.

Ultimately, I do think the Reed-Lang combo is simply going to be too much. Lang just has this feeling of being a "man among boys" out there with his speed and physicality. It's a combination I haven't seen in an IC WR in a long time.

UfanBill

#57741
Quote from: IC798891 on Today at 10:09:20 AMUltimately, I do think the Reed-Lang combo is simply going to be too much. Lang just has this feeling of being a "man among boys" out there with his speed and physicality. It's a combination I haven't seen in an IC WR in a long time.

Not so long ago...Germinerio to Gladney...2019 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

IC798891

#57742
Quote from: UfanBill on Today at 10:36:54 AM
Quote from: IC798891 on Today at 10:09:20 AMUltimately, I do think the Reed-Lang combo is simply going to be too much. Lang just has this feeling of being a "man among boys" out there with his speed and physicality. It's a combination I haven't seen in an IC WR in a long time.[b/]

Not so long ago...Germinerio to Gladney...2019 


That's kinda the one I thought of in terms of like, putting up numbers.

But when I watch the opening TD from the St. Lawrence game at 37:54 of this video, I think that this isn't a play they call with Gladney, because his game was not beating dudes the corner and racing down the sidelines. Or just running a straight go route, like at 2:16 here

The scary thing about Lang is that, even though he doesn't have Gladney's size, he's still really physical and can go up and catch contested balls from DBs. To wit, this catch, from Cortaca, at 6:36.

The skill set is really unmatched for an IC WR that I've seen.