FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DagarmanSpartan and 71 Guests are viewing this topic.

Machiavelli

Quote from: IC798891 on Today at 02:16:01 PMHere's how the LL Top 3 breaks down

Union: 3 wins over teams with a combined record of 2-13, 2 losses to teams with a combined record of 8-1
RPI: 3 wins over teams with a combined record of 6-9, 2 losses to teams with a combined record of 8-2
Ithaca: 4 wins over teams with a combined record of 5-17, 1 loss to a team that is 1-3

None of the teams have a good win unless you're buying WPI at 4-1.

WPI has beaten:
0-5 UNE
1-4 Husson
3-2 Coast Guard
1-3 Norwich

Personally, that's a no from me. So IMO, we're parsing losses.

There's no way to put RPI over Union based on losses. Cortland is objectively a better loss than Utica, and there's no way losing 45-10 to Brockport is better than a loss OT to Susquehanna.

So it's Union ahead of RPI. What to do with Ithaca? One less loss, but it is, by far, the worst loss. And, the lousy 2nd half vs. Hobart means that they narrowly escaped with a win over a team RPI easily handled.

Thus, we have:

1. Union
2. RPI
3. Ithaca
4. Hobart
5. Rochester
6. St. Lawrence
7. Buffalo State
8. Hilbert

Your breakdown makes sense on paper. But recent games, momentum and history play into my thoughts. It's all speculation at this point, but just so my thoughts are clear, there it is.

Ice Bear

It's funny. I can see Union replicating what they did in conference last season. With that said, I can see them also absolutely not replicating last year and dropping games to all three or two of three of the remaining top LL teams. I've seen the Garnet grow and find a bit of an identity over the last three weeks, but again, against the likes of 1 bad team and 2 very bad teams.

I do have a bit of a feeling about RPI, having watched bits of their games and do think they could run the table as well. Same with IC.

I'm open to any interpretation of the top 4 as for me, it's hard to be definitive about any of them.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Bartman

Quote from: Machiavelli on Today at 03:18:16 PM
Quote from: IC798891 on Today at 02:16:01 PMHere's how the LL Top 3 breaks down

Union: 3 wins over teams with a combined record of 2-13, 2 losses to teams with a combined record of 8-1
RPI: 3 wins over teams with a combined record of 6-9, 2 losses to teams with a combined record of 8-2
Ithaca: 4 wins over teams with a combined record of 5-17, 1 loss to a team that is 1-3

None of the teams have a good win unless you're buying WPI at 4-1.

WPI has beaten:
0-5 UNE
1-4 Husson
3-2 Coast Guard
1-3 Norwich

Personally, that's a no from me. So IMO, we're parsing losses.

There's no way to put RPI over Union based on losses. Cortland is objectively a better loss than Utica, and there's no way losing 45-10 to Brockport is better than a loss OT to Susquehanna.

So it's Union ahead of RPI. What to do with Ithaca? One less loss, but it is, by far, the worst loss. And, the lousy 2nd half vs. Hobart means that they narrowly escaped with a win over a team RPI easily handled.

Thus, we have:

1. Union
2. RPI
3. Ithaca
4. Hobart
5. Rochester
6. St. Lawrence
7. Buffalo State
8. Hilbert

Your breakdown makes sense on paper. But recent games, momentum and history play into my thoughts. It's all speculation at this point, but just so my thoughts are clear, there it is.
I agree with Machs rankings, I can only say although Hobart laid an egg in Troy and played sloppy against Ithaca, there is no question that the better team Hobart played was RPI. I'm hoping that the team pulls it together against Union because right now we are just trying to get to third place in the LL and a decent Bowl game. I think since we are playing at the Boz , Union is beatable, but we'll have to play all four quarters for once this year. Of course Rochester is 2-0 in the Ll and we are 0-2 , so no assumptions made until the games are played. I think the league title will come down to the Shoes game and Ithaca needs to improve a lot before Cortaca, because Cortland beat a very good Utica squad.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee