Author Topic: Messiah 2011  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Jim Matson

• aka Hiker Jim
  • Administrator
  • All-Region
    • View Profile
Messiah 2011
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:05:30 am »
So the Falcons get it started with a great match against Ohio Wesleyan...
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Offline Jim Matson

• aka Hiker Jim
  • Administrator
  • All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: Messiah 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:35:15 pm »
The Hiram draw was a surprise, yet it is early in the season. Anyone see the Haverford match? The Falcons outshot the Fords but not by what I would have expected. Was weather a factor in Gettysburg?

Offline FalconFan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »
I was at the Haverford match.  Haverford clearly had a plan to limit Messiah's chances, playing good defense and cautiously choosing when to attack.  While that might not be the style of play I enjoy seeing, I thought the Fords executed their plan pretty well.  They were making it very difficult for the Falcons to get good looks.

The weather was pretty much steady rain the whole game with some wind, but I would not say the weather was that big of a factor.

IdahoSoccer

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:32:21 pm »
Ohio Wesleyan is the top team in the country right now. They got extremely unlucky against Messiah (everyone gets unlucky against messiah though, that ref serious in the nat'l champ game last year when messiah player two handed shoved kid to score?) Anyways I guarantee this year Ohio Wes will take down the Falcons if they meet again

Offline Jim Matson

• aka Hiker Jim
  • Administrator
  • All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:39:22 pm »
Messiah may be without Pezon but until they lose a big match, they still are the champs...and always find a way to win. Lynchburg last season, Medaille in OT a few years back, and Stevens in the semis four years ago. And perhaps the biggest win was that last second goal to draw against CNU, and then to win minutes later in OT. Was that 2008? 09?

Knight2Day

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
Messiah may be without Pezon but until they lose a big match, they still are the champs...and always find a way to win. Lynchburg last season, Medaille in OT a few years back, and Stevens in the semis four years ago. And perhaps the biggest win was that last second goal to draw against CNU, and then to win minutes later in OT. Was that 2008? 09?

The Lynchburg win last season was more than a little questionable.

Offline CentennialFan

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 01:34:06 pm »
Although Messiah certainly has the resume, and they always manage to pull out wins when they need to (lucky or not), they are also in an extremely weak conference, for the most part(except for E-Town) and completely dominate it every year. I think that if they jumped over to the Centennial conference (arguably one of the best in the country), they would  not fair quite as well as they have in the past... I would love to see them play against any of the top teams in that conference... Swarthmore, Muhlenberg, Hopkins and F&M and see if they could still come out on top...

Offline Jim Matson

• aka Hiker Jim
  • Administrator
  • All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:39:19 pm »
They seem to do well against the Centennial when they need to...like in the post-season. Now if the Falcons had to face a higher level of competition week in and week out, they might stumble more often, losing another match or two every season. And a tougher conference tourney would put their post-season participation (and position) in a riskier bucket. But they have done well in the past no matter who they faced, home or away.

The Lynchburg match last season did indeed have a strange ending, and yes, many would say that we all saw a great example of a non-call. But they still found a way to win in overtime. Few teams have been able to finish as strongly as has Messiah in the past 10 years.

Offline CentennialFan

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:41 pm »
Any thoughts on todays Dickinson / Messiah Match??? Dickinson has been putting up some solid numbers offensively, should be a great game and a close match.
Don't be surprised to see the Messiah team scrambling tonight...

Offline FalconFan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 01:31:21 pm »
I expect this to be a good match.  It looks like both teams are entering this game on a bit of a role.  Messiah has scored 8 goals in the previous two games, and Dickinson has scored 9 in their last two.

Offline purplehat

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »
Messiah over Dickinson big 4-1.  Sounds as though Messiah totally dominated the game. I have a feeling that the Falcons, like most years,are starting to roll now that they have about a third of their games behind them.  They always seem to start a bit slow, pick it up in the middle part of the year and then win,win,win down the stretch.  I would think that playing 20 players every game might have something to do with this.  It's great to have fresh legs in November.

Offline d3fan1

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 11:21:26 pm »
It looks like maybe Messiah can hold there own against Centennial teams.

Offline CentennialFan

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 09:37:37 am »
Nice job by the Falcons.
Thought Dickinson would have done a bit better than they did.
Hopefully Swat or Muhlenberg will eventually get a shot at them...

Offline FalconFan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »
Messiah 3 Centennial Conference 0 (sorry, couldn't resist  ;) )

This was an entertaining game to watch.  The game was mostly even in the first half, with play going end to end.  The Falcons did a better job of finishing their chances and went into half time with a lead.

The second half was when Messiah really took control of the game.  Dickinson, to their credit, were still able to generate a couple of chances on the counter attack.

I think Dickinson is a pretty decent team.  They have a big test coming up hosting Swat this weekend.