FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MCScots2013

#4215
On that point about no lights on the football field: there were lights back in the day, but after one of the poles was struck by lightning, they never replaced them.  That happened some time back in the 50s.  It's kinda cool say in 2026 we still play on grass and have no lights (surely, we're the last ones, right?), but for the amount of fan support we have at home games, we definitely need an upgrade.  I was looking at some box scores last week and the attendance pales in comparison to an MC game.  We should reward the support with a mix of games to increase fan experience (what I really mean is, find a way to play a night home game when UT plays a noon game).

Other than increased gameday experience, lights are really needed to help support travel budgets within the "East Region" of the SAA.  Maryville and Centre just played a night game.  I imagine the buses pulled out of Maryville at 11am or so.  Saved a ton of money not getting a room for the night.  We've also played night games at Berry, too.  Looks like Sewanee has lights, but all games on the schedule are afternoon games.  All three schools are within 3 hours from Maryville.  I'm not saying I want to see Maryville play a ton of night games, but if it helps the budget then so be it.

From my understanding there will be upgrades in a few stages in the next few years, but nothing actually announced.  I await with bated breath.  Maybe at Homecoming in a few weeks?

Patrick Coleman

Everything happens in Division III.

There are 17 Division III schools who play on grass. In addition to Maryville, Carleton, Greenville, Grinnell, Hampden-Sydney, Martin Luther, New England College, Puget Sound, St. Vincent and Wesleyan also play home games on grass with no lights.

Wesleyan has a lighted and turfed field lined on campus for football that they have used on occasion, but their primary home stadium is grass/no lights.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MCScots2013

Can't believe I forgot about HSC...


Ron Boerger

Quote from: MCScots2013 on October 09, 2026, 10:29:32 AMFrom my understanding there will be grades in a few stages in the next few years, but nothing actually announced.  I await with bated breath.  Maybe at Homecoming in a few weeks?

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, could you expand?

Hawks88

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 09, 2026, 11:37:30 AM
Quote from: MCScots2013 on October 09, 2026, 10:29:32 AMFrom my understanding there will be grades in a few stages in the next few years, but nothing actually announced.  I await with bated breath.  Maybe at Homecoming in a few weeks?

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, could you expand?
I think he meant to say 'upgrades' instead of 'grades'?

MCScots2013

Yes, sorry.  Upgrades.

Was between Teams calls this morning  ;D

MCScots2013

Tomorrow's game against Sewanee has been moved up to a noon kickoff

Ralph Turner

Quote from: MCScots2013 on October 09, 2026, 11:56:29 AMYes, sorry.  Upgrades.

Was between Teams calls this morning  ;D
It is tough when your Teams calls interfere with monitoring the Message Boards.

MCScots2013

I bought a Powerball ticket this morning so if you hear Maryville's getting their lights and a new gym, you'll know that I'll no longer have Friday Teams calls to cause such interference.

Patrick Coleman

If anything is left over after that, let me know. ;)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MCScots2013

There will be a first-class ticket for you + 1 from your local airport to McGhee-Tyson Airport and a room at RT Lodge for you to take in the sights and sounds of a Maryville College homecoming.  Might even throw in for an Uber for the 15 minute ride from TYS to campus.

awadelewis

Quote from: MCScots2013 on October 09, 2026, 10:29:32 AM...
Looks like Sewanee has lights, but all games on the schedule are afternoon games.  All three schools are within 3 hours from Maryville. 
...

Our putting lights on Harris-McGee Field was driven more by Field Hockey and Lacrosse as they use the field outside of Football season.    It's been rare for us to do a night game in Football.  I can only think of one game since we put in the lights four years ago.  Been a couple of games where they were turned on to try punch through the classic Sewanee Fog that we get on The Mountain every now and then.

MCScots2013

Finally, a complete game.

51-13 Maryville. All time series is now 18-17 in favor of the good guys.

awadelewis

Quote from: MCScots2013 on Yesterday at 02:40:25 PM51-13 Maryville. All time series is now 18-17 in favor of the good guys.

No surprises on that one. Our season is running to my expectation.   And Trinity is up 35-7 on Southwestern with just under 5 minutes left in that game.

MCScots2013

There are some really good freshman quarterbacks in the league this year. Maryville, Sewanee, Centre and Millsaps (not sure what's going on with Bizjack) are all led by freshman.

Centre might be the biggest surprise of the year though. 1-4 to start—yikes. They completely faceplanted in the second half last night in Jackson.