Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Machiavelli

#1
So apparently I should be picking against RPI each week! I was able to watch the live stream while sitting at a rainy soccer game in the middle of nowhere and Hobart didn't even look competitive to me. Obviously, some similar opponent comparisons make this entire thing more confusing, but I liked what I saw from RPI and I think they finally played to their potential. Hobart just didn't impress me at all and it should've actually been a shutout.

That said, it sets the LL up for a pretty interesting end of year scenario, much like last year. Hobart is in their gauntlet schedule right now with Ithaca and Union up next. I think Ithaca beats them, but I'm not sure on Union yet. Would love to see 'Bart knock off one or both, though.

RPI has what SHOULD be clear sailing with Dilbert, Buff St, Bye, Roch, St. Lawrence, before finishing up with Ithaca and Union. Unless they poop themselves, they should head into the last 2 weeks with LL title in their view. They had the same opportunity last year and lost both games. But needless to say, the LL is wide freaking open right now.

Being that the LL is 'cooked', maybe it doesn't matter at all. But I'd beg to differ. Since the COVID season,(if my research is accurate) the LL is 6-6 in the postseason, with wins over Endicott, Cortland, UMass-Dartmouth, Springfield(twice), and Delaware Valley. Losses were to North Central(twice - Finalist one year, National Champ the other), Hopkins, Randolph-Macon, Susquehanna(Semi-Finalist that year), and Muhlenburg. We have gone 1 and done the last 2 years, but both times against very solid opponents.

No matter how anyone feels during the season, the LL typically competes in the postseason. I don't expect that to be any different this year, even if some random weirdos pop onto this board and say otherwise.

If any one was interested:
RPI - 2-1 (2021 - Beat Endicott and Cortland, lost to Finalist North Central)
Ithaca - 3-2(2022 - Beat UMD, Springfield, lost to National Champ North Central - 2023 - Beat Springfield, Lost to Randolph-Macon)
Union - 1-2 (2023 - Beat Delaware Valley, Lost to Johns Hopkins - 2025 - Lost to Muhlenburg)
Hobart - 0-1 (2024 - Lost to Semifinalist Susquehanna)



#2
Quote from: The Third Division on September 27, 2026, 12:19:44 AMThe Liberty League is cooked.

Thanks for the superb commentary. Well thought out.
#3
Well the wind has been taken out of my sails for this season. Hopefully that changes but it's not feeling great. I thought RPI competed against Utica for 3 quarters and ran out of gas. Thought they would give Brockport a challenge and instead got the bag beat out of them. Admittedly, I didn't watch it, but checking in on live stats it seemed like they were just outclassed which doesn't give me much hope for this season.

It IS really strange going to the Top 25 and seeing Mount Union at 24. I realize it's likely a temporary blip on the radar, but I don't think in all 27 or so of my years on these boards have we ever witnessed Mount not in the top 5. It's weird. Anyway, I guess I'll make some stupid picks for jerks.

Season Record: 18-5
Grade: D+

Mach's Stupid Week 4 picks for jerks

Rochester - 56
Dilbert - 7
I hate doing this every week. Just....GET BETTER!!!

Hobart - 31
RPI - 14
I've lost hope with RPIs season. Maybe they prove me wrong. I think Hobart is a step above.

Buff St - 3
Union - 49
REPEAT...I hate doing this every week. Just....GET BETTER!!!

St. Lawrence - 10
Ithaca - 41
Ithaca in a runaway.

The RPI/Hobart game is really the only worth picking this week. Gonna predict it's an undefeated week for most/all.
#4
Seems the boards have been a little chaotic this week. I haven't even had time to look at the Top 25, but I think the LL and E8 always get the shaft either way, then perform relatively well in the postseason, then everyone Men In Blacks themselves and it starts all over again. Anyway, it felt like I had my worst week of picks ever last week, but I ended 6-2 losing the RPI and Hobart picks. Honestly, I stick by my picks, but psyched I was wrong on Hobart. Puts me to 13-3 so far in what I would call the toughest first 2 weeks of picks, maybe ever. Gonna fire out a few quick ones here:

Mach's slightly above Rochester Mediocre Week 3 Picks

St. Lawrence - 10
Alfred - 21
Alfred's got a decent little team, just not as good as the top of the LL that they faced in Weeks 1-2. St. Lawrence may not win again until October 10.

Union - 34
MooVille - 3
Smackdown city. Union gets to showcase some of their talent this week.

Alfred St. - 40
Buff St - 6
We got one program on the up and up. The other just going through the motions.

Hobart - 28
Utica - 24
I watched Utica last week. Their offense is good, but if you can slow them down, which I think Hobart can, the offense can move the ball. The RPI score wasn't indicative of how the game went. I think Hobart hangs in and doesn't fold in the second half like RPI did. Utica is pretty good, but I like 'Bart.

Hilbert - 0
Ithaca - 96
Bartman went with 100 points. I think someone should suck it up and do it. I'd be all for it.

RPI - 35
Brockport - 31
As mentioned above, I don't think the Utica score was a true depiction of that game. RPI was in it through the 3rd and they had plenty of chances, but Utica just kept coming. RPI had some costly turnovers and a QB switch and their heads up their a$$es in the 4th quarter. I think Balzarini is solid, so I hope they stick with him. I like RPI in a close one.

Rochester - 21
St. John Fisher - 31
The H(*)(*)TERS battle will get ugly quick, with Rochester making a late comeback attempt. I hate this pick, but I think Fisher is just better.

There it is. Go get 'em.
#5
Apparently I forgot to pick the Union game last week(not intentional), but I would've picked Susquehanna in any case. So I'll put my record at 7-1 after incorrectly picking the Stagg Bowl preview Case Western vs. Rochester game. I guess it's already time for Week 2!

Mach's Glorious Week 2 Picks:

Cortland - 31
Union - 21
Union's week 1 was impressive taking Sus to OT. Cortland beat a solid Grove City team last week pretty handily. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it feels like a coin flip game. I'm gonna give the future gym teachers the nod, but this should be a good game.

St. John Fisher - 35
St. Lawrence - 14
St. Lawrence got 1 of their 3-4 wins already. I think Fisher beats them up.

Buff St. - 21
Hartwick - 24
For the sake of the LL, I really wish Buff State could rep this week. Hartwick isn't good. But Buff St. stinks.

MooVille - 20
Rochester - 24
Rochester got manhandled last week by the odds-on 2026 National Champ. MooVille was 0-10 last year, but got a W in Week 1 against a poor Kean team. Rochester won by 16 a year ago, but I think this may be closer. I guess I'll give this below mediocre matchup to the Bumble Bees.

Utica - 17
RPI - 21
I can't tell if this is a homer pick or not. I thought RPI looked pretty solid last week. QB hung in the pocket and made some great throws. Running game was solid. Defense was flying around, but had a few lapses. Utica won big last year, but the game is in Troy and I want to think RPI is the LL team to beat this year. This week will give some indication if I'm way off.

Brockport - 38
Hobart - 31
Man, this is a tough week to pick! Brockport beating the Buffaloes 68-0 tells us nothing. Hobart had a nice, but close, win over Alfred who is at least above average. This was a nailbiter a year ago at Brockport. While I want to give 'Bart the nod at the Boz, Brockport scares me a bit. Going with BPort.

Alfred - 10
Ithaca - 28
I was impressed with Ithaca's showing last week. This could be a tight first half, but I like Ithaca to run away a bit in the 2nd half.

Dilbert - 3
Alfred St - 56
Alfred St started off as Dilbert winning 1 game/year in their first 6 seasons(granted, those wins were against Pop Warner teams). Dilbert is now in year 5 and is 0-36. Last year they were outscored 448-78 with a ~37 point losing margin. So it took Alfred State about a decade to rise above the bottom feeders. Dilbert isn't A bottom feeder, they are THE bottom feeder. The Pioneers win big and easy.

Look, by my religion, I can't ever route for Union, but beating Cortland would be a big W for the LL and I think it's entirely on the table. Would also love to see Hobart, RPI, Roch-Vegas and maybe even Buff St get wins. At best, the LL could go 6-2, at worst 1-7. I think 3-5 has the most likelihood.
#6
Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on September 06, 2026, 10:02:28 AM
Quote from: Machiavelli on September 06, 2026, 09:12:42 AMThen we have this other doofus from Case Western Reserve doing a victory lap for beating a team with 8 LL wins in 9 seasons.

Aren't you the guy that picked that latter team to win?

Just sayin'!

I put about .8 seconds of thought into that useless game of terd teams.

Just sayin'. Congrats though. Yuuuuge win.
#7
What the hell is going on with this sudden clown show on the LL boards? Last time I checked Johnny Hopkins was ranked 4th in the country and Ithaca was unranked. That powerhouse was only able to be a lowly LL team by 9? Should be embarrassed.

Then we have this other doofus from Case Western Reserve doing a victory lap for beating a team with 8 LL wins in 9 seasons.

It's like the damn twilight zone over here.
#8
Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on September 05, 2026, 08:12:18 PM
Quote from: Machiavelli on September 02, 2026, 11:06:49 AMI guess it's time...

Mach's Shameless LL Week 1 Predictions

Ithaca - 21
Johns Hopkins - 38
Hopkins might just be one of the best in the country this year.

Buff State - 6
Brockport - 42
Will Buff St improve this year? No idea, but my magic 8 ball says 'probably not'.

Case Western Reserve - 21
Rochester - 24
If Rochester maintains any of their recent mediocrity, this might be a really fun game to watch.

St. Lawrence - 28
Norwich - 10
Hopefully the Larries drop the beat down.

Alfred - 24
Hobart - 35
Alfred shocked the blumpkins to start last season, so maybe a payback is order.

WPI - 10
RPI - 42
Hopefully the boys in Red stay healthy and get some good reps ahead of the next 3 weeks.

Dilbert - 6
St. Vincent - 10
Can Dilbert get their first win ever? I guess this is their chance, but I just can't pick them. This game is an attrocity.



Little off on the CWRU - Rochester prediction.

Statistically lopsided CWRU victory.

27 to 9 on First Downs and 445 to 164 in total yardage in CWRU's favor.  CWRU QB had over 300 passing yards and 4 TDs.

Sick week 1 call out bro. Who the f are you anyway? If you are ever around these boards, you'd know I'm not a Rochester guy. Just made a blind prediction with 2 lackluster programs. But huge win. Rochester is a goddamn beast. Hopefully you are in the top 25 this week. Huge win. Congrats.
#9
I guess it's time...

Mach's Shameless LL Week 1 Predictions

Ithaca - 21
Johns Hopkins - 38
Hopkins might just be one of the best in the country this year.

Buff State - 6
Brockport - 42
Will Buff St improve this year? No idea, but my magic 8 ball says 'probably not'.

Case Western Reserve - 21
Rochester - 24
If Rochester maintains any of their recent mediocrity, this might be a really fun game to watch.

St. Lawrence - 28
Norwich - 10
Hopefully the Larries drop the beat down.

Alfred - 24
Hobart - 35
Alfred shocked the blumpkins to start last season, so maybe a payback is order.

WPI - 10
RPI - 42
Hopefully the boys in Red stay healthy and get some good reps ahead of the next 3 weeks.

Dilbert - 6
St. Vincent - 10
Can Dilbert get their first win ever? I guess this is their chance, but I just can't pick them. This game is an attrocity.

#10
Interesting prediction on the front page has RPI predicted at 8-2 and one of the last at-large bids. I'd be happy with that, but I'd rather they just go and get the Pool A. RPI might have a similar journey to last year, though the schedule could be slightly more challenging. After a warmup game against WPI, it gets a little bit tougher weeks 2-4 against Utica, Brockport and Hobart. Then there are 4 winnable games leading up to the Ithaca and Union games to finish it out. A couple questionable decisions last year led to losses against Ithaca(24-23) and Union(28-21) to close out the regular season and hopes for a playoff birth. I think 8-2 is attainable, but who those losses are against(and when) will make all the difference. It's tough to go undefeated in the LL, so I'll predict RPI to finish between 6-4 and 9-1 with 8-2 being most likely. I could see them losing 1 in the first 4 weeks and then one in the the last 2 weeks. But we won't know much until some games are played. I'm not anticipating a Union repeat.

On that note, that same article on the front page has 5 people picking the NESCAC to make it to the Round of 16, so take it all with a grain of salt. Depending on what kind of favorable draw the committee hands the NESCAC donors, if they face a real team at any point, I think they get physically beaten down, but that's just me.
#11
Quote from: Bartman on January 14, 2026, 11:00:33 AM
Quote from: Machiavelli on January 14, 2026, 09:44:41 AMSomeone sent me a bit of the Social Media banter. It's kind of embarrassing for Division 3 football. Frank should not be looked at as an ambassador of DIII. All he does is stir the pot and act like a complete a$$hat to anyone who comments. Disgusting behavior.
I'm really liking Frank's outfit for the game.He must have trained at the BTBarnum Circus master of ceremonies online school. 8-)

LOL. He shops at an exclusive apparel store called 'Look at me! Look at me!'.
#12
Someone sent me a bit of the Social Media banter. It's kind of embarrassing for Division 3 football. Frank should not be looked at as an ambassador of DIII. All he does is stir the pot and act like a complete a$$hat to anyone who comments. Disgusting behavior.
#13
Quote from: unionpalooza on December 17, 2025, 11:52:05 AMMan, the NCC fans seem to be running hard to keep up with the Mt. Union guys in the joyless department.  They've hit Twitter to express their outrage that ESPN+ has brought in two outside players by play guys, one of whom is a John Carroll alum, instead of using NCC's house guys, for Saturday's game. Putting aside the fact that (i) of course ESPN+ is going to use guys who have worked with ESPN+ crews instead of guys who have never done so and (ii) you can't coherently complain the JCU guy will bring bias and then argue it should be two NCC guys instead, it just baffles me that NCC fans can watch their teams win a bunch of nattys and still whine about stuff this small and dumb.

I saw our boy FR going off about this on Twitter, basically making some pretty serious slanderous comments towards one particular individual. It's pretty sad seeing how this dude navigates life.
#14
FR holding grudges, being spiteful, and making more enemies? No way. I don't believe it for a second.
#15
My AI friends say:

Division 3 (D3) football head coaching salaries vary significantly but generally fall in the $70k to $120k+ range, often bundled with teaching or other university roles, with top coaches at major D3 programs potentially earning more, though far below D1 figures; expect lower salaries at smaller schools and higher pay at private institutions with better funding, sometimes including housing or benefits, but rarely reaching the millions like their D1 counterparts.