FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 107 Guests are viewing this topic.

BergAlum2

Quote from: The Third Division on September 20, 2026, 01:13:02 PMFrank Rossi posted a dissertation trying to explain the difficulties Mount is facing right now. The question is does it have merit, and if not, what?

https://x.com/frankrossi/status/2101697422703403333?s=46

Chatgpt did a good job writing that.

was interesting to read about the loss of experience and the lessening of the number of senior players

WRMUalum13

Quote from: BergAlum2 on September 20, 2026, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: The Third Division on September 20, 2026, 01:13:02 PMFrank Rossi posted a dissertation trying to explain the difficulties Mount is facing right now. The question is does it have merit, and if not, what?

https://x.com/frankrossi/status/2101697422703403333?s=46

Chatgpt did a good job writing that.

was interesting to read about the loss of experience and the lessening of the number of senior players


It does have some AI quality to it, I think it's the headlines

purple

In years past Mount Union always had several great players on both sides of the ball. All Americans, all-conference guys were as common as squirrels. We don't have those guys on this team; three left I can think of who would have started. Heidi was the better team. Our QB was great in the second half. It has to be some sort of freak stat that two QB's win after each throwing five interceptions in successive games on the same field.

Desertraider

Ok what are Pat and the Too 25 voters smoking? I mean I get that its legal and all but really? How is mount still in Top 25 (#24) and how is BW not ranked? I am no Bw fan but - based on this year - they should be ranked.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, and, and, and, and, AND!
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

WRMUalum13

#67714
]
Quote from: Desertraider on September 20, 2026, 08:10:30 PMOk what are Pat and the Too 25 voters smoking? I mean I get that its legal and all but really? How is mount still in Top 25 (#24) and how is BW not ranked? I am no Bw fan but - based on this year - they should be ranked.

Wins against Bethany and Alma make you a top 25 team?

And for what it's worth, Massey ratings have mount at 15, and the computer is less biased towards legacy, brand etc.

BergAlum2

#67715
Quote from: Desertraider on September 20, 2026, 08:10:30 PMOk what are Pat and the Too 25 voters smoking? I mean I get that its legal and all but really? How is mount still in Top 25 (#24) and how is BW not ranked? I am no Bw fan but - based on this year - they should be ranked.

Don't worry, it will all be sorted out in 2 weeks when the Berg chokes against them under the lights in Tiffin.

Patrick Coleman

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on September 20, 2026, 09:19:50 PMWins against Bethany and Alma make you a top 25 team? 

Yeah, I mean, beating Bethany 84-26 doesn't move the needle for most Top 25 voters.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Desertraider

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on September 20, 2026, 09:19:50 PM]
Quote from: Desertraider on September 20, 2026, 08:10:30 PMOk what are Pat and the Too 25 voters smoking? I mean I get that its legal and all but really? How is mount still in Top 25 (#24) and how is BW not ranked? I am no Bw fan but - based on this year - they should be ranked.

Wins against Bethany and Alma make you a top 25 team?

And for what it's worth, Massey ratings have mount at 15, and the computer is less biased towards legacy, brand etc.

So losses to Wheaton and unranked Berg, and surviving unranked and unimpressive GC make you Top 25?
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, and, and, and, and, AND!
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Desertraider

Quote from: Patrick Coleman on September 20, 2026, 11:28:38 PM
Quote from: WRMUalum13 on September 20, 2026, 09:19:50 PMWins against Bethany and Alma make you a top 25 team? 

Yeah, I mean, beating Bethany 84-26 doesn't move the needle for most Top 25 voters.

Well on the flip side - Mount laying 70 on Wilmington, Capital or Otterbein never seemed to do their poll position any harm.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, and, and, and, and, AND!
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

D3fanboy

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on September 20, 2026, 09:19:50 PM]
Quote from: Desertraider on September 20, 2026, 08:10:30 PMOk what are Pat and the Too 25 voters smoking? I mean I get that its legal and all but really? How is mount still in Top 25 (#24) and how is BW not ranked? I am no Bw fan but - based on this year - they should be ranked.

Wins against Bethany and Alma make you a top 25 team?

And for what it's worth, Massey ratings have mount at 15, and the computer is less biased towards legacy, brand etc.

what I'd give for a win over Alma....

D3fanboy

Quote from: purple on September 20, 2026, 04:50:26 PMIn years past Mount Union always had several great players on both sides of the ball. All Americans, all-conference guys were as common as squirrels. We don't have those guys on this team; three left I can think of who would have started. Heidi was the better team.

if the roster is so poorly constructed, I wonder who has been in charge of building and developing that roster in the past 6 years or so?

rscl70

Quote from: The Third Division on September 20, 2026, 01:13:02 PMFrank Rossi posted a dissertation trying to explain the difficulties Mount is facing right now. The question is does it have merit, and if not, what?

https://x.com/frankrossi/status/2101697422703403333?s=46
I think Frank got it right.
12-0 = 13

Desertraider

The article may be factual but that doesnt make it right. It is a snapshot of Mount but it doesnt look at any other specific teams as a comparison. I will concede first year coordinators but the remaining numbers mean little. I mean every school essentially has a lost generation because of Covid but it doesnt seem to have had an impact on NCC, Wheaton, JCU, etc. i guess look at their numbers, show me how they are different from Mount, and then it would have some merit.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, and, and, and, and, AND!
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

WRMUalum13

Quote from: Desertraider on September 21, 2026, 02:38:29 PMThe article may be factual but that doesnt make it right. It is a snapshot of Mount but it doesnt look at any other specific teams as a comparison. I will concede first year coordinators but the remaining numbers mean little. I mean every school essentially has a lost generation because of Covid but it doesnt seem to have had an impact on NCC, Wheaton, JCU, etc. i guess look at their numbers, show me how they are different from Mount, and then it would have some merit.

I agree, the analysis doesn't really make sense because it's not a factor unique to UMU.

D3fanboy

Quote from: Desertraider on September 21, 2026, 02:38:29 PMThe article may be factual but that doesnt make it right. It is a snapshot of Mount but it doesnt look at any other specific teams as a comparison. I will concede first year coordinators but the remaining numbers mean little. I mean every school essentially has a lost generation because of Covid but it doesnt seem to have had an impact on NCC, Wheaton, JCU, etc. i guess look at their numbers, show me how they are different from Mount, and then it would have some merit.

the bigger problem is Mount (the head of the program) thinking that they know everything and the reluctance to adapt. 

Took forever to get an actual strength and conditioning coordinator, still needs a lot of work. 

Dartt famously saying "I don't even know how to turn the transfer portal on!"...no joke.

Any program bringing in 100+ freshmen is going to have horrible retention rates.  The bigger problem is the lack of player development at Mount.  I love the 3 freshmen starting on offense and think that they will all likely be all-americans someday, but "the standard" should never have a third of their offense being true freshmen.  How are there not upperclassmen that have developed over the years better than kids straight from HS?  Don't get me started on the current WR room at Mount freaking Union!

It seems like the program has an issue with high school recruiting, recruiting of the current roster and recruiting in the transfer portal.  Not a great recipe for success in today's college football world.  But I'd guess that our program's door-knob personality says "the standard is the standard" or "we're going to win with Raiders" or anything else that is horribly outdated and simply coach-speak to try to cover up inadequacies.

We can get to the on-field coaching decisions at another date.  I'd chalk up a lot of those years ago to inexperience, but no longer.  At this point, the only scared to come into Kehres Stadium is a pack of gum.