FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mugsy

#21345
Quote from: Stagg or Bust on November 06, 2010, 08:27:56 PM
NCC definitely took their foot off of the gas offensively after half time when they came out of the locker room with a 261-43 edge in total yards, and elected to refrain from digging too deep into the playbook.  


Took the foot off the gas?  So it had nothing to do with Wheaton's defensive adjustments? How nice of NCC not to run it up 60-3.  Give me a break!


I don't care what the edge was for NCC in the first half.  Last time I checked the game is 2 halves.  You attribute the fact that NCC only had 50 yards in the 2nd half to NCC's charity?

Do we need to go back to 2006 when NCC lead 13-0 at half only to have Wheaton hang 31 on NCC in the 2nd half.  Let me guess... that had nothing to do with adjustments either.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

cardinaldad

Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 08:40:16 PM
Quote from: Stagg or Bust on November 06, 2010, 08:27:56 PM
NCC definitely took their foot off of the gas offensively after half time when they came out of the locker room with a 261-43 edge in total yards, and elected to refrain from digging too deep into the playbook.  


Took the foot off the gas?  So it had nothing to do with Wheaton's defensive adjustments? How nice of NCC not to run it up 60-3.  Give me a break!


I don't care what the edge was for NCC in the first half.  Last time I checked the game is 2 halves.  You attribute the fact that NCC only had 50 yards in the 2nd half to NCC's charity?

Do we need to go back to 2006 when NCC lead 13-0 at half only to have Wheaton hang 31 on NCC in the 2nd half.  Let me guess... that had nothing to do with adjustments either.

Agreed Mugsy. Wheaton has always been good at adjusting against us at halftime. You brought up '06. Man, was that game on my mind today. I kept saying "don't let down Cards." No charity by the Cards today. Wheaton made excellent halftime adjustments.

Mugsy

#21347
Quote from: cardinaldad on November 06, 2010, 09:11:04 PM
Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 08:40:16 PM
Quote from: Stagg or Bust on November 06, 2010, 08:27:56 PM
NCC definitely took their foot off of the gas offensively after half time when they came out of the locker room with a 261-43 edge in total yards, and elected to refrain from digging too deep into the playbook.  


Took the foot off the gas?  So it had nothing to do with Wheaton's defensive adjustments? How nice of NCC not to run it up 60-3.  Give me a break!


I don't care what the edge was for NCC in the first half.  Last time I checked the game is 2 halves.  You attribute the fact that NCC only had 50 yards in the 2nd half to NCC's charity?

Do we need to go back to 2006 when NCC lead 13-0 at half only to have Wheaton hang 31 on NCC in the 2nd half.  Let me guess... that had nothing to do with adjustments either.

Agreed Mugsy. Wheaton has always been good at adjusting against us at halftime. You brought up '06. Man, was that game on my mind today. I kept saying "don't let down Cards." No charity by the Cards today. Wheaton made excellent halftime adjustments.

I don't mean to down play how NCC played, but the conjecture going on here is nauseating.  "If we had Crackel it would have been 2 more TD's..." "NCC took the foot off the gas."

I stand by my opinion that NCC had better come up with more offense or there will be no getting past UWW or Mount Union.

NCC was the better team today, but come on.  Some of you NCC posters make it seem as if Wheaton didn't even belong on the same field.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

ncc58

Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 08:40:16 PM
Took the foot off the gas?  So it had nothing to do with Wheaton's defensive adjustments? How nice of NCC not to run it up 60-3.  Give me a break!

I don't care what the edge was for NCC in the first half.  Last time I checked the game is 2 halves.  You attribute the fact that NCC only had 50 yards in the 2nd half to NCC's charity?

Do we need to go back to 2006 when NCC lead 13-0 at half only to have Wheaton hang 31 on NCC in the 2nd half.  Let me guess... that had nothing to do with adjustments either.

I'll give Wheaton credit. After giving up the outside early in the game, Wheaton made nice adjustments and shut off NCC's option. However, NCC did outscore Wheaton in both halves. Yes, Wheaton outgained NCC in the second half but you don't get points for statistical advantages.

Wheaton still hasn't found a way to cover #89.

I'm not sure who will debate you on whether Roberts would have made an impact. The game is over. The score is still 28-6. NCC will celebrate tonight, and tomorrow start to think about North Park (no, it's not an off week and all the players and coaches know that).

Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 05:05:22 PM
I'm not saying it needs to be dominant either, but relying on the wildcat in a big game doesn't give a sense of confidence.

What's your point? NCC has been running the Wildcat for significant parts of the game for the whole season. It's not like they came out with some Spurrieresque offense just for today. Tassio threw two passes today (1-2). They makes him 2-4 for the season. So, when NCC lines up in the Wildcat it's extremely likely that it will be a running play. Doesn't that make it easier on the defense?

cardinaldad

I believe Hlavac playing in the game today would have made a bigger impact than if Crackel had played.

Mugsy

#21350
Quote from: ILGator on November 06, 2010, 09:21:17 PM
Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 08:40:16 PM
Took the foot off the gas?  So it had nothing to do with Wheaton's defensive adjustments? How nice of NCC not to run it up 60-3.  Give me a break!

I don't care what the edge was for NCC in the first half.  Last time I checked the game is 2 halves.  You attribute the fact that NCC only had 50 yards in the 2nd half to NCC's charity?

Do we need to go back to 2006 when NCC lead 13-0 at half only to have Wheaton hang 31 on NCC in the 2nd half.  Let me guess... that had nothing to do with adjustments either.

I'll give Wheaton credit. After giving up the outside early in the game, Wheaton made nice adjustments and shut off NCC's option. However, NCC did outscore Wheaton in both halves. Yes, Wheaton outgained NCC in the second half but you don't get points for statistical advantages.

Wheaton still hasn't found a way to cover #89.

Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 05:05:22 PM
I'm not saying it needs to be dominant either, but relying on the wildcat in a big game doesn't give a sense of confidence.

What's your point? NCC has been running the Wildcat for significant parts of the game for the whole season. It's not like they came out with some Spurrieresque offense just for today. Tassio threw two passes today (1-2). They makes him 2-4 for the season. So, when NCC lines up in the Wildcat it's extremely likely that it will be a running play. Doesn't that make it easier on the defense?

NCC outscored Wheaton in the 2nd half but primarily due to an absolute boneheaded personal foul away from the ball that gave an automatic 1st down instead of a 3rd and 30.  NCC did not have a drive in the 2nd half beyond the one they scored on due to 2 penalties from Wheaton to keep the drive going.

And yes, Wheaton has never had an answer for #89.   :-[  I'm glad he is finally going to be graduating.

My point is do you think NCC playing the wildcat will beat UWW or Mount Union?

Yes... once Wheaton made the adjustment to have the DE's take th QB on the option and then the OLB on pitch it was an easier offense to stop.  Hence the 50 yards in the second half.

Kukoc had 105 yards in the 1st half on continual breaking of the outside contain.  He finished with 91 yards.  -14 yards in the second half.  Tassio had 64 yards on 21 carries (3.0 yards a carry).  What would UWW or Mount Union do to that offense?
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

ncc58

Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 09:16:28 PM
I don't mean to down play how NCC played, but the conjecture going on here is nauseating.  "If we had Crackel it would have been 2 more TD's..." "NCC took the foot off the gas."

I stand by my opinion that NCC had better come up with more offense or there will be no getting past UWW or Mount Union.

NCC was the better team today, but come on.  Some of you NCC posters make it seem as if Wheaton didn't even belong on the same field.

For many years, Wheaton has had a swagger. On the field. On this board. Wheaton earned that swagger. Even at halftime, many of their fans today were talking about how they are a second half team and would rally to win.

Except, NCC has won at least a share of the CCIW title for 5 years. NCC should have that same swagger now. The program was come a long way since 2006 - when NCC won a share of the conference title.

The viewpoints that you find nauseating, those are similar to what supporters of other schools have had to read from Wheaton supporters.

cardinaldad

Tassio is an all-state qb with a State title. He's not "just" a talented rb that might throw the ball. It is a pretty unique situation that any defense has to honor and defend. Also, it's not like the NCC offense can't move the ball when not in the Wildcat.

ncc58

#21353
Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 09:27:49 PM
Do you think NCC playing the wildcat will beat UWW or Mount Union?

Hopefully, We'll find out on the field. But, there are several games until that happens.

But, Mount Union's QB went out today with a shoulder injury. UWW is 4 deep at TB - but Stanley missed a few games and Coppage was also hurting. You never know what will happen by December.

Mugsy

#21354
Quote from: ILGator on November 06, 2010, 09:36:12 PM
Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 09:27:49 PM
Do you think NCC playing the wildcat will beat UWW or Mount Union?

Hopefully, We'll find out on the field. But, there are several games until that happens.

NCC has the defense this year, but they won't beat UWW or Mount playing the wildcat or anything like it.  I'll be rooting for them to do so, but I just don't see it.  Just my opinion.  I hope I'm wrong (unless of course Wheaton makes the playoffs too).
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Titan Q

From watching the IWU/Wheaton game online, and then the IWU/North Central game (and yes, I admit, very small sample size) I came away thinking that North Central and Wheaton are both very good teams, but that North Central is in a completely different tier than Wheaton. 

I also suggested after the IWU/NCC game that I feel like the Cardinals might be able to play with D3's big two.   Usee disagreed, stating that NCC does not have enough elite playmakers on offense...Usee knows CCIW and D3 football a lot better than I do and I trust his opinion.  However, NCC is going to be a #1 seed, and there is a chance they won't have to leave Naperville to get to Salem.  I still say they might be able to hang with the big boys because of how good that defense is.  I'm pretty sure we're going to get to find out in a few weeks.

Titan Q

Quote from: Mugsy on November 06, 2010, 09:39:57 PM

NCC has the defense this year, but they won't beat UWW or Mount playing the wildcat or anything like it.

Maybe, but nothing any of our teams have done vs those two has worked all that well either!  Maybe it's time to mix it up! :)

cardinaldad

Jaybird!! Where are you? Big win for Elmhurst today and you are nowhere to be found! That little one must be taking up a lot of time. That's ok. Give her (I think it's a her) all the time you can! Congrats on the big win.

cardinaldad

Wow!! By the score, it looks as if North Park played Millikin tough.

robertgoulet

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 06, 2010, 06:54:15 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on November 06, 2010, 06:49:59 PM
Quote from: footballfan413 on November 06, 2010, 05:34:15 PM
Quote from: matblake on November 06, 2010, 04:51:27 PM

I hope that Wenger is ok.  That is a bit concerning that two weeks in a row he has struggled with stingers as he left the game immediately after destroying a Wheaton receiver.

The only cure for that injury is rest.  My oldest son was forced out of football in HS because he chose to continue to play, not being honest with the trainers about the number of stingers he was having, eventually had temporary nerve damage and lost strength in his arm.  Repeated stingers are a problem.

Congrats to North Central.  They are having a great season!   

Luckily NCC has off next week  ;)

That's a rather cruel shot at NPU, don't you think?

Alas, not all that inaccurate, but still cruel! :D

sometimes, Ypsi, as we all know, the truth hurts  ;D
You win! You always do!