FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

formerd3db

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

hyrooster

Quote from: Veinteuno on November 26, 2010, 11:40:24 AM
Augie6 and vikingmike, I completely understand where you are coming from. I only posted to let you know how much confidence there is for cushman on campus. Also, I only brought up those close losses, and statistics to show he has done a good job on defense. I agree that some teams, mainly ncc have had their way with augies defense of late. However, his defenses have also stepped up numerous times against good competition. The defense played great this year against wheaton, most of wheatons points came off of a short field from turnovers. Anyways, again I see why there is some doubt, but I just wanted to let you guys know that the situation isn't as bleek as it seems. We will all see where the Augie program goes from here, but I for one think it is in good hands.
Just an opinion but I was at the NCC/AC game and felt they were the most effective D we faced. We had 2 long passes for TD's and albeit I never felt that NCC was going to lose the game it was as close as we faced this year. One more thought is that NCC always seems to come out after halftime and put the game out of reach but not at AC. We were completely out played in the second half by AC and their D kept them in the game.
Good luck to Coach Cushman.

shepherd

Weather forecast for tomorrow Wheaton is 33F Mostly sunny, rather windy and not as cold as Friday, but still nearly 10 degrees below normal for this date. West to northwest winds 12 to 22 mph.

With many students going home, if your on the fence as to going to the game definitely go. As you know the Wheaton - Bethel games have been classic close hard fought games.  Lets ensure our home field advantage by getting out to the game.  Lets be loud and cheer the Thunder on to victory.

Mugsy

#21978
Quote from: RandomPlayer on November 26, 2010, 08:34:17 PM
Sorry i havent been able to post on this matter sooner, my account was waiting approval. I am a current player at Augie, and i would just like to add my 2 cents to all this. First, i would like to say that i have the utmost respect for any alum of Augie, you guys created a great tradition that i hope to carry on. Second, it seems that many peoples opionion of Barnes on this board is not quite the same as the players. I do not want to bash my former coach in any way but the players honestly no longer had the same respect for him. Any one who attended the Wheaton game would understand why. Alot also goes on behind the scenes. Barnes however did bring an unprecedented amount of passion to the game, and i wish him the best. Augie was going on a downward slope though and change was necessary. The decision on what happened came a great deal from the seniors who all met with our AD. The AD also sent out surveys to all the players. The decision for change came from the players directly. That change is the hiring of a new head coach. This of course was Cushman. Coach Cushman has brough something amazing to augie. This defense plays inspired at all times, and i personally have never respected a coach as much as i do Coach Cushman. Now many of you said you saw this as a quick fix. Wasnt that necessary though? Say Augie goes on a long nation wide search. Where does that leave the players and recruits. Waiting? that would have been saying to us that we care more about rebuilding than the present. Dont get me wrong there is some rebuilding that needs to be done. However the team that will take the field next year will be very talented and lead by many playmakers. It will be our task to get the job done, and i have no doubt that Coach Cushman will have us ready. As far as recuiting make no doubt about it he will get the job done. He may not have area highschool ties. But coach cushman is a tremendous recruiter, and he is the reason i picked Augie over many other CCIW teams.

RandomPlayer,

While I appreciate your post and setting us straight on what transpired, as well as the current perspective on Coach Cushman and his hiring, I find it very, very troubling (if it is the whole story).

It is very important that the players respect and buy into their coaching staff.  But the moment players at the collegiate level (or at any level for that matter) have the influence to replace a coach or at least a significant part in it, as well as who will replace him?  Yikes!  Who is in control of the athletic department?

We are getting a clearer picture on what has transpired, but I suspect we still don't have the full story.  At least I hope so...   :-\

Sounds like the players have their coach and I suspect they will give it their all for Coach Cushman and we'll see what happens.  So what happens if Coach Cushman doesn't live up to the players expectations?  They going to go to the AD again and have another coaching change?
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

#21979
Can't believe we are talking more about Augie's coaching situation than the 2 games tomorrow.  What's up with that?

That is not meant to be a slam on Augie, but we have two CCIW teams very much alive in the 2010 playoffs.  We have the whole offseason to learn what is going on in Rock Island.  Very obscure story to say the least though...
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Veinteuno

I don't know if the players had as much of an impact as mentioned. I will say that there is a lot that has gone down the past 5 years at augie building up to all this. Having not only played there, but coached there I do not feel like I should go into detail. Just know that this is more than players being upset with the head coach. Either way, it seems like the full story will not be completely revealed.   

Veinteuno

Also, I am done for now on this topic. Good luck to ncc and wheaton tommorow.

Mugsy

Quote from: Veinteuno on November 26, 2010, 09:56:17 PM
I don't know if the players had as much of an impact as mentioned. I will say that there is a lot that has gone down the past 5 years at augie building up to all this. Having not only played there, but coached there I do not feel like I should go into detail. Just know that this is more than players being upset with the head coach. Either way, it seems like the full story will not be completely revealed.   

Agreed.  That is what I was trying to imply in my post.  If  RandomPlayers perspective was the full picture, I'd be even more alarmed at what is going on in Rock Island.  

Players would have feedback into the current state of the coaching staff/program and potential replacements from within the current staff.  This could lend supporting perspective to what the AD and alum see and hear to validate their own views and potential direction to take.  But should not be the sole perspective.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

Quote from: Veinteuno on November 26, 2010, 09:58:20 PM
Also, I am done for now on this topic. Good luck to ncc and wheaton tommorow.

I'm not policing what topics we can and can't post on.  It is an intriging story.  Just find it odd there is very little discussion on the games tomorrow.  I suspect that'll change in 14 hours or so.   :)
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Veinteuno

Mugsy, haha I know, I just feel what I say is getting redundant without going into more detail. I might have to checkout the game at wheaton tommorow, seeing as it is my hometown. What time is kickoff?

CardinalAlum

Mugsy,

Not sure what else can be talked about at this point.  Tomorrow is a huge day for the CCIW and both schools. Getting two schools in the quarterfinals would be an incredible feat.   We talk about the CCIW's strength quite a bit.  Tomorrow goes a long way towards validating that strength!  Here's hoping the Cards and Thunder take care of business at home tomorrow!!  Go Cards!!  Go Thunder!!
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

Patrick Coleman

Quote from: Veinteuno on November 26, 2010, 10:07:00 PM
Mugsy, haha I know, I just feel what I say is getting redundant without going into more detail. I might have to checkout the game at wheaton tommorow, seeing as it is my hometown. What time is kickoff?

Noon local time, by NCAA rule.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mugsy

Quote from: Veinteuno on November 26, 2010, 10:07:00 PM
Mugsy, haha I know, I just feel what I say is getting redundant without going into more detail. I might have to checkout the game at wheaton tommorow, seeing as it is my hometown. What time is kickoff?

Wheaton is your hometown?  Sweet!  You go to North? (or if you don't want to give away your identity you can send me a message).

Game time is at 12pm.  I'm less than a mile away, but can't go.  At least I can watch the game on WETN (cable channel 72 on Comcast).  I'm Mr. Mom this weekend with 3 kinds 6 or under.  Too cold to have 3 kids that age watching a game they barely understand.  All they want to do is go to the concession stand or watch the trains as they pass.  In less than 2 quarters I'd be home anyway to keep my sanity.  I'll be posting on the CCIW in-game Updates board.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

#21988
Quote from: CardinalAlum on November 26, 2010, 10:10:27 PM
Mugsy,

Not sure what else can be talked about at this point.  Tomorrow is a huge day for the CCIW and both schools. Getting two schools in the quarterfinals would be an incredible feat.   We talk about the CCIW's strength quite a bit.  Tomorrow goes a long way towards validating that strength!  Here's hoping the Cards and Thunder take care of business at home tomorrow!!  Go Cards!!  Go Thunder!!

Couldn't say it better myself.  Except for earlier in the week I tried to get some dialog going about the Wheaton game.  Very little response other than agreement with the basic assessment from a Bethel or MIAC poster.  Other than the NCC/Wheaton week, a rather quiet board during the season. 

Pulling for both teams to do the CCIW proud tomorrow.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Augie6

Quote from: RandomPlayer on November 26, 2010, 08:34:17 PM
Sorry i havent been able to post on this matter sooner, my account was waiting approval. I am a current player at Augie, and i would just like to add my 2 cents to all this. First, i would like to say that i have the utmost respect for any alum of Augie, you guys created a great tradition that i hope to carry on. Second, it seems that many peoples opionion of Barnes on this board is not quite the same as the players. I do not want to bash my former coach in any way but the players honestly no longer had the same respect for him. Any one who attended the Wheaton game would understand why. Alot also goes on behind the scenes. Barnes however did bring an unprecedented amount of passion to the game, and i wish him the best. Augie was going on a downward slope though and change was necessary. The decision on what happened came a great deal from the seniors who all met with our AD. The AD also sent out surveys to all the players. The decision for change came from the players directly. That change is the hiring of a new head coach. This of course was Cushman. Coach Cushman has brough something amazing to augie. This defense plays inspired at all times, and i personally have never respected a coach as much as i do Coach Cushman. Now many of you said you saw this as a quick fix. Wasnt that necessary though? Say Augie goes on a long nation wide search. Where does that leave the players and recruits. Waiting? that would have been saying to us that we care more about rebuilding than the present. Dont get me wrong there is some rebuilding that needs to be done. However the team that will take the field next year will be very talented and lead by many playmakers. It will be our task to get the job done, and i have no doubt that Coach Cushman will have us ready. As far as recuiting make no doubt about it he will get the job done. He may not have area highschool ties. But coach cushman is a tremendous recruiter, and he is the reason i picked Augie over many other CCIW teams.

RandomPlayer,

Not sure where to begin on this.  Probably not the greatest idea as an active player at Augie to post this message.  I understand you are trying to shed some light on the situation from a player's perspective, but, in my mind, this paints a terrible picture of the Augie program.   My guess is Coach Cushman, or any coach for that matter, would not be happy with this type of info being shared by someone currently playing.  When the players are calling the shots on who should be the coach (as you indicate), that speaks volumes about how far the Augie program has fallen.  The last time I checked, it wasn't Coach Barnes giving up 10 turnovers in two straight losses to Wheaton and Elmhurst this year.  If the Elmhurst game was an example of Augie's D playing inspired at all times, I would hate to see them when they are uninspired.  

I don't think anyone was asking Augie to go on a long, protracted search for a head coach.  But 1 day doesn't qualify as a search at all.  I think it's very fair for Augie alumni to question this.  No one is asking to spend months looking for a coach and losing valuable recruiting time.  However, adding a least a few weeks to the process to vet potential interested candidates is certainly within reason.  From your description of the situation, you make it sound like since the players were able to get rid of Coach Barnes and make Coach Cushman the Head Coach, Augie now, somehow, becomes an instant contender for the CCIW championship and in the playoffs.  Sorry, but I just don't see it.  

You say Coach Cushman has brought something "amazing" to Augie.  My question is what?  It's certainly not anything creative from a defensive standpoint.  Has Augie been decent on defense the past 3 years?  I would say yes.  Have they been in the same ballpark as amazing?  Clearly not.  If you think your defense is anywhere close to where it needs to be to compete in the playoffs, I can speak with absolutely certainty (from personal experience) that it's not.  The fact that it had one good year statistically as the #7 scoring defense in 2008, doesn't give it credibility.  It's a bend but don't break defense that has given up plenty of yards over the past 3 seasons (about 300 yards per game every season).  The D is not particularly good at getting to the QB (84th in sacks in 08, 119th in 09 and 53rd in 10) and it doesn't generate a significant amount of turnovers, ranking as high as 37th in the country in 2008 in turnovers gained, but coming in at 97th in 08' and 105th in 10'.  I get that the players like Coach Cushman and that's great.  That still doesn't change any of the concerns that have been brought up by Augie alumni and others on this board about the change that occurred at Augie.  

Again, I am not trying to bad mouth Coach Cushman.  I hope he is the person that can bring Augie back to prominence, first in the CCIW and then, on a national basis.  But the concerns that have been voiced on this board are valid and, unfortunately, the information you included in your post makes my concerns about the program much more profound.

Good luck as you prepare for next season.  Go Augie!  

Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86