FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearDaBird and 53 Guests are viewing this topic.

New Tradition

Quote from: robertgoulet on December 22, 2010, 01:40:58 PM
I didn't think we would when Lenny left in 05, but we plugged in Wenger and he turned out to be better than Lenny.

I'm not so sure about that...
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ


robertgoulet

Quote from: New Tradition on December 23, 2010, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on December 22, 2010, 01:40:58 PM
I didn't think we would when Lenny left in 05, but we plugged in Wenger and he turned out to be better than Lenny.

I'm not so sure about that...

Surely you can't be serious.
You win! You always do!

usee

RG,

I agree. Lenny Radtke was  a great LB at NCC and in the CCIW, but I can name about 10 other LB's I would put with him. The list Wenger is on is about 2 deep. Radke can't run anywhere near as fast as Wenger and simply wasn't as explosive. Radtke was like Rusty VanWetzinga from Augie in the 90's, Chip Parrish from Wheaton, Justin Knapp from Wheaton, or even Randy Wright even this year at Elmhurst. Wenger type guys?? I would say Jon Munch from IWU and maybe Chad Thorsen from Wheaton are the only two who are even close. Both those guys had NFL careers (in multiple camps but never made a team). Munch was an outside LB and was just as fast as Wenger but a taller, more athletic body type. Thorson was bigger, more physical (6'1" 245) but could run very well. Munch, Thorson, and Wenger were multi year POY's and the 1st two were in NFL camps. Thorson actually played in the Senior Bowl. Munch nearly made the Patriots team after one of their Super Bowl runs.

Radtke was good but he was a step below those guys in my opinion.

emma17

Three great names for linebackers- Thorsen, Munch and Wenger- I sure hope Wenger makes an NFL team.

Congrats to NCC, I was glad to see them ranked third in the fan poll- and not forth (and with at least some discussion at #2).   
 

New Tradition

Quote from: robertgoulet on December 23, 2010, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on December 23, 2010, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on December 22, 2010, 01:40:58 PM
I didn't think we would when Lenny left in 05, but we plugged in Wenger and he turned out to be better than Lenny.

I'm not so sure about that...

Surely you can't be serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

Lenny had 466 tackles to Wenger's 422.  Wenger also played 7.5 more games than Lenny between playoffs and the half a game he played his first senior year at Ohio Northern.  That means Lenny averaged 11.4 tackles per game to Wenger's 8.7.  And, as a whole, Wenger had a much better d-line to keep the offensive linemen off of him than Lenny did.  Was Wenger more explosive?  Certainly.  He was impressive because he really made contact with an exclamation point.  But I think that Lenny had a better nose for the ball and the numbers show it.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

WarhawkDad

Quote from: New Tradition on December 23, 2010, 08:37:13 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on December 23, 2010, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on December 23, 2010, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on December 22, 2010, 01:40:58 PM
I didn't think we would when Lenny left in 05, but we plugged in Wenger and he turned out to be better than Lenny.

I'm not so sure about that...

Surely you can't be serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

Lenny had 466 tackles to Wenger's 422.  Wenger also played 7.5 more games than Lenny between playoffs and the half a game he played his first senior year at Ohio Northern.  That means Lenny averaged 11.4 tackles per game to Wenger's 8.7.  And, as a whole, Wenger had a much better d-line to keep the offensive linemen off of him than Lenny did.  Was Wenger more explosive?  Certainly.  He was impressive because he really made contact with an exclamation point.  But I think that Lenny had a better nose for the ball and the numbers show it.

I do not want to comment about which player might be better, but I would like to make an observation about statistics being misleading.  An excellent defensive player on an average team will have outstanding statisctics because they are often the one ending up having to make tackles.  The same player on a very good defense will still be an excellent player, but other players step up and make plays.

Without trying to promote UWW too much, I would like to use them as an example.  Not one defensive player on the D3football All American First or Second team, yet the defense as a unit was darn good. 

Just food for thought.  It may apply to your conversation. They actually could be very similar talent.

Happy Holidays
Six Time National Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014



2013  WIAC PICKEM CHAMPION

"Pound The Rock!!!"

CardinalAlum

Quote from: New Tradition on December 23, 2010, 08:37:13 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on December 23, 2010, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on December 23, 2010, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on December 22, 2010, 01:40:58 PM
I didn't think we would when Lenny left in 05, but we plugged in Wenger and he turned out to be better than Lenny.

I'm not so sure about that...

Surely you can't be serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

Lenny had 466 tackles to Wenger's 422.  Wenger also played 7.5 more games than Lenny between playoffs and the half a game he played his first senior year at Ohio Northern.  That means Lenny averaged 11.4 tackles per game to Wenger's 8.7.  And, as a whole, Wenger had a much better d-line to keep the offensive linemen off of him than Lenny did.  Was Wenger more explosive?  Certainly.  He was impressive because he really made contact with an exclamation point.  But I think that Lenny had a better nose for the ball and the numbers show it.

Sorry, NT, this isn't close.  Radtke was an outstanding LB, but Wenger was at a whole higher level. 
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

Mugsy

Quote from: CardinalAlum on December 23, 2010, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on December 23, 2010, 08:37:13 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on December 23, 2010, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on December 23, 2010, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: robertgoulet on December 22, 2010, 01:40:58 PM
I didn't think we would when Lenny left in 05, but we plugged in Wenger and he turned out to be better than Lenny.

I'm not so sure about that...

Surely you can't be serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

Lenny had 466 tackles to Wenger's 422.  Wenger also played 7.5 more games than Lenny between playoffs and the half a game he played his first senior year at Ohio Northern.  That means Lenny averaged 11.4 tackles per game to Wenger's 8.7.  And, as a whole, Wenger had a much better d-line to keep the offensive linemen off of him than Lenny did.  Was Wenger more explosive?  Certainly.  He was impressive because he really made contact with an exclamation point.  But I think that Lenny had a better nose for the ball and the numbers show it.

Sorry, NT, this isn't close.  Radtke was an outstanding LB, but Wenger was at a whole higher level. 

I'm in agreement as well.  As good as Radtke was, Wenger was better. I don't care if Radtke had 40 something more tackles.  Tackles are not the only measure of an LB's effectiveness.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

usee

mugsy,

Could you please refer to them as the Tennessee Titans. Otherwise some may think you have gone to the dark side!  ;) 8-) ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: USee on December 24, 2010, 12:27:05 AM
mugsy,

Could you please refer to them as the Tennessee Titans. Otherwise some may think you have gone to the dark side!  ;) 8-) ;D

I assume you mean UW-Oshkosh ;).

Or are you THAT scared of MY Titans? ;D

CardinalAlum

Quote from: USee on December 24, 2010, 12:27:05 AM
mugsy,

Could you please refer to them as the Tennessee Titans. Otherwise some may think you have gone to the dark side!  ;) 8-) ;D

That was the first thing that popped into my head as well!!   :D

Here's hoping for a wonderful Holiday for all of you!  It's been another great year of CCIW play (well, better for some of us!). ;)
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

footballfan413

#22618
Happy Holidays to the CCIW crew!  Hope it is filled with lots of  love, friends and family and that 2011 is one of hope, peace and prosperity for all!  It's almost next year!   :-*
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

badgerwarhawk

I don't know any Lenny except the one on The Simpsons but if he was even close to Wenger, let alone better, he must have been one hell of a player.

Merry Christmas from the WIAC
"Strange days have found us.  Strange days have tracked us down." .... J. Morrison