FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

formerd3db

#24810
Stagg or Bust:

I can understand where you are coming from; you make some legit points. However, I doubt highly that will ever happen, trying to come up with some SOS evaluation system never really works (then again, what "anything" really ever works ideally anyway?!! ;D).  IMO, I think the current system is the best and is just like the basketball tourneys as everyone has disussed in recent posts.  I know what you are saying about having the best teams and the more powerful conferences wanting to get other teams in.  However, as one other poster said, certainly one legit consideration is for a college that wants to get to that level to just "get better".  I also realize that that will never be possible for some of our DIII colleges for a variety of non-football related and logistic reasons.  But for many, if Mount Union can do it, anyone can.  But, all that said, it is just the way it is for now and, again, I personally think the incentive for winning one's conference and getting the AQ is appropriate.  I know that some people have presented the arguement that this isn't your "childhood, feel-good, having everyone get a certificate for participation" type of situation, but it really isn't and I'm not sure we can make that kind of comparison.  Also, in a tangential aspect, look at the NESCAC - they don't even have that chance of participating in the playoffs, however,...that is their choice (I won't go there because we've had that extensive converstation many times on the various boards ;D - also it has never made sense to me that the Ivy League does not allow its football teams to participate in the playoffs, yet allows all its other sports to do so - that is the biggest hypocritical situation IMO, perhaps more than the controversay over the a DI playoff).  And, speaking of the latter in relation to all this, IMO, the tentative proposed "idea" by the NCAA President in favor of a DI Playoff for only the top 4 rated teams is a stupid idea.  That will never work - well, it may in the sense of being a reality only if they ever impliment it, however, we will see more howling and controversy over that then you see now with the polling situation and the BCS.  I just keep going back to the same arguement that many people have been saying for a long time - at least for now, the best way of doing it is as is done in DIII, DII and FCS, although, as we've all been saying, there will always be some problems with that, but, so far it appears to be the best way in keeping those at a minimum.  Of course, as everyone here is saying, we'll always be debating this issue I'm sure! ;D  All that said, I do enjoy reading about everyone's opinions on this here.

Also, I, too, thank Pat for his clarification.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

NCF

Stagg, Former- great post and points. The system need to be fixed, but I doubt any changes will happen soon. And I agree with you Former in liking to read everyone's opinons and ideas. That's what is great about the boards- all of us can respectfully express them here.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

formerd3db

Quote from: newcardfan on February 19, 2012, 11:10:33 AM
Stagg, Former- great post and points. The system need to be fixed, but I doubt any changes will happen soon. And I agree with you Former in liking to read everyone's opinons and ideas. That's what is great about the boards- all of us can respectfully express them here.

Thanks newcard - same goes for yours.  Also, we only have Pat to thank for such opportunity.  If it were not for him founding this site (which is hard to believe that was some 12 years or so ago), we wouldn't have this format.  It is amazing how far this has come and grown in all these years.  And certainly, at least IMO, it is in no way a waste of time - all of this is relevant and an appropriate purpose for many reasons.  Besides, what else would be we all be doing with some of our free time? This keeps us all out of trouble and we could be doing many other "not so good" things and that would not be good! :o ::) ;D :D :)  I know my wife appreciates that - especially when I remind her of that when she on occasion just mentions to me that I've "seemingly" been spending a lot of time here on the boards! :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Patrick Coleman

It just takes a simple majority to pass. Before this vote, most conference had automatic bids and only one or two in each region did not. Those who benefited from the status quo definitely held a majority.

Stagg or Bust: Division I basketball is in no way whatsoever a reasonable comparison to any Division III tournament.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Pat:
Re: the DI basketball tournament.  I would say that it is only comparable to DIII tournaments in that it now provides a tremoudous amout of other schools the opportunity to get in the playoffs; aside from the fact that it is important to us in DIII because of the $ provided to fund our DIII championships and, thus, the less cost to the schools, many of whom would not be able to participate like it was in the very "old days" before what we have now. :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

matblake

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 19, 2012, 02:51:57 PM
It just takes a simple majority to pass. Before this vote, most conference had automatic bids and only one or two in each region did not. Those who benefited from the status quo definitely held a majority.

Thanks, Pat.

NCF

Quote from: formerd3db on February 19, 2012, 02:51:15 PM
Quote from: newcardfan on February 19, 2012, 11:10:33 AM
Stagg, Former- great post and points. The system need to be fixed, but I doubt any changes will happen soon. And I agree with you Former in liking to read everyone's opinons and ideas. That's what is great about the boards- all of us can respectfully express them here.

Thanks newcard - same goes for yours.  Also, we only have Pat to thank for such opportunity.  If it were not for him founding this site (which is hard to believe that was some 12 years or so ago), we wouldn't have this format.  It is amazing how far this has come and grown in all these years.  And certainly, at least IMO, it is in no way a waste of time - all of this is relevant and an appropriate purpose for many reasons.  Besides, what else would be we all be doing with some of our free time? This keeps us all out of trouble and we could be doing many other "not so good" things and that would not be good! :o ::) ;D :D :)  I know my wife appreciates that - especially when I remind her of that when she on occasion just mentions to me that I've "seemingly" been spending a lot of time here on the boards! :)
Oh this keeps me out of trouble and away from work ;D But it is fun and thanks Pat.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

NCF

Anyone coming to the CCIW indoor track championships? Several football players also run for the Cards.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

NCF

A huge shout out to the Wheaton football players who joined the Cardinals at FCA on Thursday. From what I understand it was an amazing night of fellowship amoung Christian brothers.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Mugsy

Quote from: newcardfan on February 25, 2012, 11:29:52 AM
A huge shout out to the Wheaton football players who joined the Cardinals at FCA on Thursday. From what I understand it was an amazing night of fellowship amoung Christian brothers.

Wow... that is awesome.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

NCF

Quote from: Mugsy on February 28, 2012, 10:13:37 PM
Quote from: newcardfan on February 25, 2012, 11:29:52 AM
A huge shout out to the Wheaton football players who joined the Cardinals at FCA on Thursday. From what I understand it was an amazing night of fellowship amoung Christian brothers.

Wow... that is awesome.
You can say that again. It was something noone will forget. I am at a loss for words here-very emotional and uplifting.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

matblake

Quote from: newcardfan on February 28, 2012, 10:26:43 PM
Quote from: Mugsy on February 28, 2012, 10:13:37 PM
Quote from: newcardfan on February 25, 2012, 11:29:52 AM
A huge shout out to the Wheaton football players who joined the Cardinals at FCA on Thursday. From what I understand it was an amazing night of fellowship amoung Christian brothers.

Wow... that is awesome.
You can say that again. It was something noone will forget. I am at a loss for words here-very emotional and uplifting.

Awesome

matblake


NCF

Spring ball is only about six weeks or so away!!:):):)
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion