FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 67 Guests are viewing this topic.

wheels81

Quote from: USee on September 16, 2019, 01:36:38 PM
You changed the question. I said they won't contend if they turn it over and I was challenged with that idea. I don't think it's likely they turn it over 7x a game though they did lead the league in turnovers last year at 2.3 per game I believe. It's clear they are trying to run an uptempo offense to try and run more plays. That's a good strategy with the makeup of their offense as they run a ton of RPO and can control the Time of possession, limit their defenses exposure, and get more plays for their playmakers.

They ran 102 plays on Saturday. Typical is usually around 70 plays. So if they run 50% more plays than a year ago, is it a stretch to think their turnovers go up by 50%?

The original statement I made is still pretty safe....IWU won't contend if they turn it over 5+ a game.

I like comparing apples to oranges so here goes.    IWU is to football as Grinnell is to Basketball?
"I am what I am"  PTSM

devildog29

Quote from: wheels81 on September 19, 2019, 03:06:53 PM
Quote from: USee on September 16, 2019, 01:36:38 PM
You changed the question. I said they won't contend if they turn it over and I was challenged with that idea. I don't think it's likely they turn it over 7x a game though they did lead the league in turnovers last year at 2.3 per game I believe. It's clear they are trying to run an uptempo offense to try and run more plays. That's a good strategy with the makeup of their offense as they run a ton of RPO and can control the Time of possession, limit their defenses exposure, and get more plays for their playmakers.

They ran 102 plays on Saturday. Typical is usually around 70 plays. So if they run 50% more plays than a year ago, is it a stretch to think their turnovers go up by 50%?

The original statement I made is still pretty safe....IWU won't contend if they turn it over 5+ a game.

I like comparing apples to oranges so here goes.    IWU is to football as Grinnell is to Basketball?

With 50 rushing attempts for 179 yards?  Not exactly Air-Raid offense. 
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here, all out for Wesleyan!

Titan Q

#36887
Pantagraph article about the IWU/Wheaton game...

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-wesleyan/iwu-out-to-make-amends-again-with-wheaton-in-cciw/article_a691012e-f395-5836-871b-37341105390c.html

Despite the crazy awful turnovers, I came away from the IWU/UW-La Crosse game feeling like the Titans are a really good team that can play with anyone.  Before the opener I knew the offense would be good, but the RB spot was a big question -- and then sophomore transfer Hamid Bullie (D2 Virginia State/Loyola Academy) rushed for 177 yards.  Bullie looked to me like a future CCIW star.  In all of my years watching the Titans, I can't think of an IWU squad with more offensive talent top to bottom than this one. 

I was pleasantly surprised last week with IWU's defense.  The Titans lost several key players from last year, and their defensive coordinator, but they looked great vs the Eagles.  IWU has all-conference talent across each level of the defense and the Titans looked big, physical, and athletic to me on the stream last week.

IWU's kicker situation is something to key an eye on.  Senior K Patrick Tata is injured and freshman Jonathan Rukujzo bailed the Titans out last week - 3 for 3 PAT, 2 for 2 FG. 

I don't know anything about Wheaton's 2019 team, but I'll assume the Thunder are the Thunder.  I have to believe the game tonight will be extremely close.  If IWU doesn't do a bunch of things to hurt themselves I think the Titans will be hard to beat.

IWU has both Wheaton and NCC on the road (Wash U at home).  Realistically, the Titans have to win tonight to contend for a third consecutive CCIW title.

I had an emergency appendectomy Thursday so I am locked and loaded on my excuse for having to be home tonight, "resting" with CCIW football. Go Titans!

Gregory Sager

I don't know about the rest of the league, but today's Millikin @ NPU game is being threatened by the weather. We've got predictions of thunderstorms all throughout the afternoon here on the North Side.

I'm bringing a good book along just in case I get stuck in the press box during a lengthy lightning delay.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

USee

I watched IWU last week and came away impressed. They are really good at all the skill positions.  Wheatons hopes will depend on controlling the Line of Scrimmage, something they didn't do a year ago in Bloomington.  Wheatons DLine has 2 AA type players and their offense will feature TJ Williams who I have been told has a chance to be the best Wheaton has ever had at RB.  If that's true, that's strong praise and will require a Herculean effort up front to open holes against an IWU front that did a pretty good job stopping the run last week.

If the Thunder can control the LOS and run the ball with the PGOAT that's the formula for tonight. I actually expect a low turnover game from both teams.

Greg, what's the Good Book?  :)

Titan Q

Quote from: USee on September 21, 2019, 10:10:26 AM
I watched IWU last week and came away impressed. They are really good at all the skill positions.  Wheatons hopes will depend on controlling the Line of Scrimmage, something they didn't do a year ago in Bloomington.  Wheatons DLine has 2 AA type players and their offense will feature TJ Williams who I have been told has a chance to be the best Wheaton has ever had at RB.  If that's true, that's strong praise and will require a Herculean effort up front to open holes against an IWU front that did a pretty good job stopping the run last week.

If the Thunder can control the LOS and run the ball with the PGOAT that's the formula for tonight. I actually expect a low turnover game from both teams.

Greg, what's the Good Book?  :)

I predict the Titans will not win if they turn it over 7 times.

matblake

Quote from: Titan Q on September 21, 2019, 09:25:35 AM
Pantagraph article about the IWU/Wheaton game...

I had an emergency appendectomy Thursday so I am locked and loaded on my excuse for having to be home tonight, "resting" with CCIW football. Go Titans!

Hope you're ok Q. If you're on any lifting restrictions how long will they last?

As far as Wheaton v IWU, I can never figure this game out and I suppose that's how it is between two good programs. IMO Wheaton defensively  needs to keep any broken plays from occurring. Solid tackling and keeping contain on the edge will be essential. I also hope Wheaton finds its offensive identity. Will they try to be the sweep team they tried against IWU last year or the power team that brought them success later on? Should be a good one.

CardinalAlum

Halftime in St Louis:

NCC——27
WashU-13

NCC mostly dominating but a blocked FG returned for a TD, a deflected interception and some stupid penalties have kept this closer than it should be.

Rutter:
26-31-1    293 yards and 4 TD's at halftime

D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

Titan Q

Final:

Wheaton 24
IWU 10

IWU is a really good team, but the better team won tonight -- Wheaton has a chance to have a big season.

TJ Williams is really a special player.  The Titans just couldn't handle him in the 1st half, and that sort of set the tone for the rest of the game.  The adjustments IWU had to make defensively to contain him created a lot of other opportunities for the Thunder.

And Wheaton has a strong defense.  IWU's offense is pretty elite and the Titans could not move the ball tonight.

This looks like the great Wheaton teams of a few years back w/ a lot of difference makers on both sides of the ball.  I think overall NCC is a little better, but it's close...and the NCC/WC game is at Wheaton.  I consider it a toss-up between NCC and Wheaton. 

I do not think IWU or Wash U can contend with NCC and Wheaton...but I think both are Top 25 teams.  The top of the CCIW is great this year.

gryfalia

Quote from: Titan Q on September 21, 2019, 09:33:14 PM

And Wheaton has a strong defense.  IWU's offense is pretty elite and the Titans could not move the ball tonight.


Now if we could just cough up the ball carelessly a bit less.  I was kinda scared in the first half, but with the rain somehow Wheaton got better at holding onto it.

Dr. Acula

I was very impressed with the Wheaton defense tonight.  They were flying around.  And #54 is a beast on the D line.  He was the best player on the field tonight IMO.  And that's saying something because #32 looked great toting the rock.  That kid makes his cut and gets to full speed in a blink.  Wheaton looks like Wheaton of old. 

Titan Q

Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 21, 2019, 09:46:36 PM
I was very impressed with the Wheaton defense tonight.  They were flying around.  And #54 is a beast on the D line.  He was the best player on the field tonight IMO.  And that's saying something because #32 looked great toting the rock.  That kid makes his cut and gets to full speed in a blink.  Wheaton looks like Wheaton of old.

#32 is a special player.

Dr. Acula

One other thing...if I'm an IWU fan and I watch my team burn not one but two timeouts on 4th and a half yard only to put Bauer in the shotgun and get stuffed on a QB run?  Well, I would have poured the stiffest drink I could find immediately.  That was so demoralizing.

Titan Q

#36898
Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 21, 2019, 09:53:42 PM
One other thing...if I'm an IWU fan and I watch my team burn not one but two timeouts on 4th and a half yard only to put Bauer in the shotgun and get stuffed on a QB run?  Well, I would have poured the stiffest drink I could find immediately.  That was so demoralizing.

It wasn't good, but for the most part the game felt over before that anyway.

And I didn't mind the play call.  It probably works for a yard most of the time.  Wheaton had a couple guys make big-time plays to completely blow that up.

That whole sequence highlighted the fact Wheaton beat IWU badly on the lines all game long.  IWU obviously didn't feel like they could go under center and hand the ball off for one yard.

kiko

Around the conference today:

Carthage 36, Carroll 7 in Kenosha
Millikin 41, North Park 7 just downwind of Charcoal Delights
North Central 46, Wash U 13 in St. Louis
Augie 55, Elmhurst 13 in Rock Island
Wheaton 24, Illinois Wesleyan 10 in Wheaton

Next week:

Wash U at Carthage
Elmhurst at Carroll
Augie at Illinois Wesleyan
North Park at North Central
Wheaton at Millikin

Good test next week to see what sort of progress Augie may have made this year.