FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftlessDuhawk, Kovo and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gregory Sager

One also has to wonder about the status of these other non-conference football games:

Rhodes @ Augustana
Carroll @ Anderson
UW-River Falls @ Elmhurst
Illinois Wesleyan @ Franklin
Christopher Newport @ North Central
Wheaton @ Northwestern

I suspect that UW-Whitewater @ Carthage and Millikin @ Greenville wouldn't be affected by any restrictions.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

wally_wabash

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 29, 2020, 04:29:38 PM
One also has to wonder about the status of these other non-conference football games:

Rhodes @ Augustana
Carroll @ Anderson
UW-River Falls @ Elmhurst
Illinois Wesleyan @ Franklin
Christopher Newport @ North Central
Wheaton @ Northwestern

I suspect that UW-Whitewater @ Carthage and Millikin @ Greenville wouldn't be affected by any restrictions.

I think the potential hair in the soup with non-con games will be differences in protocols from conference to conference.  If, say, the CCIW has much tighter controls than they do in the WIAC or the UMAC, you might get some games called off.  Not that differences in policies couldn't be ironed out, but if not, games could go away. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Gregory Sager

First, the conferences themselves have to establish those protocols. I haven't heard of any in D3 that have done so yet.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

Patrick Coleman

The SCIAC has said it will only do conference play, if it can do anything this fall. That's the only thing that's close to definitive that I've seen a conference say so far.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 29, 2020, 04:49:47 PM
First, the conferences themselves have to establish those protocols. I haven't heard of any in D3 that have done so yet.

There is that.  Schools within a conference coming to a consensus on safety protocols shouldn't be assumed. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

formerd3db

Quote from: wally_wabash on June 29, 2020, 05:29:41 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 29, 2020, 04:49:47 PM
First, the conferences themselves have to establish those protocols. I haven't heard of any in D3 that have done so yet.

There is that.  Schools within a conference coming to a consensus on safety protocols shouldn't be assumed. 

That is exactly right, Wally.  There are some schools with differences of opinion within the membership of their conference with regard to those aspects (I know of at least one conference ;)). As both Gregory and Pat have mentioned, none of the conferences (other than the SCIAC noting there will be some change, and, of course, those schools who have already announced the cancellation of their seasons as Pat has noted on this site) as far as I know, have as yet definitively defined/announced just exactly what the parameters of their safety protocols and overall plan for any potential revised schedules will be, although they are, of course, definitely working on those as we speak (post).  And as we all know, even those initial decisions could change at the last minute or weekly depending on the overall status of conditions.  The amount of energy, time, stress, and numerous varied scenarios that all the conference administrators, head coaches, ADs, athletic training and medical staffs (and we won't forget about including the SIDs who are either involved with some of that planning or are awaiting the "go-ahead" for announcement and/or both) has been tremendous, let alone "mind-boggling."  I'm sure we all appreciate their efforts in coming up with whatever turns out to be the "tentative game plan."
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

markerickson


Titan Q

#38317

Titan Q

#38318
OAC Fall sports announcement...

https://www.oac.org/MISC/COVID-19_2020/Fall_Sports_COVID_Response

"Fall competition in all sports will begin September 19 and the league will play Conference-only competition in football, soccer and volleyball, while permitting cross country, golf and tennis to play outside competition."


I think some version of this general model is what we will see from conferences that are proceeding with Fall sports.  Obviously even the best of plans can be blown up based on what happens with this thing.

I think we'll see the CCIW go with an OAC-like model.

Titan Q

#38319
Many of the D3s to cancel Fall sports so far have endowments of $1B+. For example:
-Amherst = $2.5B
-Bowdoin = $1.7B
-Grinnell = $2.1B
-Swarthmore = $2.1B
-Wellesley = $2.1B
-Williams = $2.9B

Like most D3 schools, no CCIW member is anywhere near a "B." 

My working theory is that schools with the most financial cushion can afford to make an early (late-June, early-July) decision to cancel Fall sports.  The average D3 though cannot.  With 30-40% of the student base on a varsity sports roster, and these schools reliant on tuition revenue, there would be enormous financial implications to students taking a semester or year off to save eligibility.  And that would be a very real possibility for a good number of student-athletes in my opinion. 

And to clarify, I'm not saying any school wants to put student-athletes in jeopardy.  But rather some have more incentive to do anything possible to create a plan for whatever kind of Fall seasons are possible while keeping everyone safe.

Here are the largest endowment D3 schools that have not announced anything about Fall sports yet:

- MIT = $17.6B
- Chicago = $8.3B
- Wash U = $8.0B
- Emory = $7.9B
- Johns Hopkins = $6.3B

Will be interesting to see what those institutions do...especially the one that's in our conference for football.

Shamrock

TQ, to the extent that they are able, I think that a lot of schools that make the decision to compete this fall are going to revise their schedules to eliminate games that require extended travel.

Titan Q

Quote from: Shamrock on July 02, 2020, 01:55:18 PM
TQ, to the extent that they are able, I think that a lot of schools that make the decision to compete this fall are going to revise their schedules to eliminate games that require extended travel.

I agree.  I especially can't see overnight/hotel type trips happening.

Gotberg

Not football, but NPU announced their intent to have women's tennis this coming fall and spring.  No clear specifics, but it's possible competition may be limited to conference opponents.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Titan Q

Quote from: Gotberg on July 02, 2020, 04:07:09 PM
Not football, but NPU announced their intent to have women's tennis this coming fall and spring.  No clear specifics, but it's possible competition may be limited to conference opponents.

We will take any positive news we can get...thank you.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Titan Q on July 02, 2020, 02:02:06 PM
Quote from: Shamrock on July 02, 2020, 01:55:18 PM
TQ, to the extent that they are able, I think that a lot of schools that make the decision to compete this fall are going to revise their schedules to eliminate games that require extended travel.

I agree.  I especially can't see overnight/hotel type trips happening.
SCIAC school are all within three hours of one another.
Fierce When Roused