FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kovo and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

hazzben

SOS, RRO (not just the number, but the who and how) and Common Opponents are all primary criteria. All have subjective elements. A WIAC team with a SOS of .535 and an CCIW team with a .535 are not created equal.

It seems that in your mind if a category has hard numbers, it matters more. But the BCS formula back in the day was all hard numbers, and also riddled with problems.

The system isn't perfect, but it works more often than it fails. Case in point, if both Wheaton and Chicago are 0-1 v. RRO, it will be in Wheaton's favor. As will common opponents, close win v. blowout win. None of that is guaranteed at this point. And we've noted that Wheaton isn't a lock for an Pool C when it gets to the national committee. But as it stands now, they will likely be the top Pool C in Region 5, and it passes both the criteria test and the eye/sniff test.

D3FLETCH

How could Wheaton get left out? They had that signature win against Carroll. Wheaton would lose 3 games in WIAC this year.

Stagg Again!!

Quote from: D3FLETCH on October 28, 2021, 08:39:49 PM
How could Wheaton get left out? They had that signature win against Carroll. Wheaton would lose 3 games in WIAC this year.
Fletch.  Fletch.  Fletch.  Let me start by saying that I support a completely different team in the CCIW (Ahem... Cardinal Pride!).  I had the chance to watch the best of the WIAC tangle with the #2 team in the CCIW in the 2019 Natty and UWW didn't look so good that night at Woodforest Bank Stadium.  I am certainly aware that 12/20/19 is more than a lifetime ago for all of us (thank you COVID), but I did ALSO see NCC defeat Wheaton by 13 on 9/18/21 and Carthage by 51 on 10/9/21.  I only mention the Carthage game because UWW had defeated the Redmen by 39 pts on 9/4.  Now, I'm absolutely no fan of circular math (been burned by it way too many times), but I will tell you that NCC is a very good team this year... perhaps even better than they were in 2019 (despite the loss of #9).  The Crusaders fought the Cardinals down to the wire this year and earned a LOT of respect from the NCC faithful by how they handled themselves on the field during and AFTER the game.  All of this said, I am not buying that WC would have three losses in the WIAC.  Hell, I don't think they'd have more losses than they do now.  I have NO idea if Wheaton will make the playoffs due to the limited number of at-large slots, but I will tell you that WC is certainly one of the five best teams in the country this year and deserve to make the field of 32. 

OK, that is absolutely the last time I am coming to the defense of the Crusaders this year or else I'll have USee inviting me out for drinks and dinner!! 

Oh, one more thing... before my WIAC and UWW friends think that I am disrespecting the league and team... not true.  I do believe that the WIAC, as a whole, is the strongest conference top to bottom this year.  I just wouldn't want you to underestimate how strong the top two teams in the CCIW are in this 2021 campaign!!

Stagg Again!!

Quote from: Stagg Again!! on October 28, 2021, 11:48:56 PM
Quote from: D3FLETCH on October 28, 2021, 08:39:49 PM
How could Wheaton get left out? They had that signature win against Carroll. Wheaton would lose 3 games in WIAC this year.
Fletch.  Fletch.  Fletch.  Let me start by saying that I support a completely different team in the CCIW (Ahem... Cardinal Pride!).  I had the chance to watch the best of the WIAC tangle with the #2 team in the CCIW in the 2019 Natty and UWW didn't look so good that night at Woodforest Bank Stadium.  I am certainly aware that 12/20/19 is more than a lifetime ago for all of us (thank you COVID), but I did ALSO see NCC defeat Wheaton by 13 on 9/18/21 and Carthage by 51 on 10/9/21.  I only mention the Carthage game because UWW had defeated the Redmen by 39 pts on 9/4.  Now, I'm absolutely no fan of circular math (been burned by it way too many times), but I will tell you that NCC is a very good team this year... perhaps even better than they were in 2019 (despite the loss of #9).  The Crusaders fought the Cardinals down to the wire this year and earned a LOT of respect from the NCC faithful by how they handled themselves on the field during and AFTER the game.  All of this said, I am not buying that WC would have three losses in the WIAC.  Hell, I don't think they'd have more losses than they do now.  I have NO idea if Wheaton will make the playoffs due to the limited number of at-large slots, but I will tell you that WC is certainly one of the five best teams in the country this year and deserve to make the field of 32. 

OK, that is absolutely the last time I am coming to the defense of the Crusaders this year or else I'll have USee inviting me out for drinks and dinner!! 

Oh, one more thing... before my WIAC and UWW friends think that I am disrespecting the league and team... not true.  I do believe that the WIAC, as a whole, is the strongest conference top to bottom this year.  I just wouldn't want you to underestimate how strong the top two teams in the CCIW are in this 2021 campaign!!

Quick follow up... perhaps we have some Carthage and Elmhurst fans who could make some comments about what they saw in UWW and UWRF in head to head games this fall.

TrueGreen

Any Thoughts about this w-end?

Carroll @ WashU
NP @ IWU
Augie @ Carthage
Wheaton @ Elmhurst
NCC @ Milikin

NP @ IWU & Augie @ Carthage are the only competitive games. Home teams have the advantage? The Augie offense (9th in scoring in league games) and Carthage (10 in def scoring in league play) is a match up to watch!!!

NP win would be crushing for the Titans. I don't like the fact that the viking offense seems to be heating up vs the IWU defense. Another match up to watch.
IWU Titans only school to win CCIW FB Championship in Every Decade: 48, 51, 64, 65, 74, 77, 80, 92, 94, 96, 00, 01, 07, 09, 17, 18!

USee

HansenRatings has the following:

Augie @ Carthage -11.6
North Park @ IWU -7.6
Carroll @ WashU -20.6
Wheaton @ Elmhurst +48.6
NCC @ Millikin +58.5

Gregory Sager

Quote from: USee on October 29, 2021, 10:43:25 AM
HansenRatings has the following:

Augie @ Carthage -11.6
North Park @ IWU -7.6
Carroll @ WashU -20.6
Wheaton @ Elmhurst +48.6
NCC @ Millikin +58.5

Those seem about right to me. I like those spreads better than what Ken Massey's HAL9000 is spitting out:

Carthage 34, Augustana 27 (CC 66%, AC 34%)
Illinois Wesleyan 31, North Park 24 (IWU 72%, NPU 28%)
Wash U 35, Carroll 20 (WU 84%, CU 16%)
Wheaton 42, Elmhurst 10 (WC 99%, EU 1%)
North Central 45, Millikin 10 (NCC 98%, MU 2%)

I think that Ken's algorithm lands way too light on the scoring margins in the three lopsided contests, and, while I could see Augie keeping Carthage close, I don't see Augie scoring 27 points -- not even against Carthage's leaky defense.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

CardinalAlum

Quote from: TrueGreen on October 29, 2021, 10:03:51 AM
Any Thoughts about this w-end?

Carroll @ WashU
NP @ IWU
Augie @ Carthage
Wheaton @ Elmhurst
NCC @ Milikin

NP @ IWU & Augie @ Carthage are the only competitive games. Home teams have the advantage? The Augie offense (9th in scoring in league games) and Carthage (10 in def scoring in league play) is a match up to watch!!!

NP win would be crushing for the Titans. I don't like the fact that the viking offense seems to be heating up vs the IWU defense. Another match up to watch.

Pretty cool for NP and how this has progressed for them!
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

TrueGreen

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 29, 2021, 10:55:45 AM
Quote from: USee on October 29, 2021, 10:43:25 AM
HansenRatings has the following:

Augie @ Carthage -11.6
North Park @ IWU -7.6
Carroll @ WashU -20.6
Wheaton @ Elmhurst +48.6
NCC @ Millikin +58.5

Those seem about right to me. I like those spreads better than what Ken Massey's HAL9000 is spitting out:

Carthage 34, Augustana 27 (CC 66%, AC 34%)
Illinois Wesleyan 31, North Park 24 (IWU 72%, NPU 28%)
Wash U 35, Carroll 20 (WU 84%, CU 16%)
Wheaton 42, Elmhurst 10 (WC 99%, EU 1%)
North Central 45, Millikin 10 (NCC 98%, MU 2%)

I think that Ken's algorithm lands way too light on the scoring margins in the three lopsided contests, and, while I could see Augie keeping Carthage close, I don't see Augie scoring 27 points -- not even against Carthage's leaky defense.

Do you like the point totals for the IWU/NP game? I think they are pretty spot on.

Totally agree with your Augie comment! AND I don't think Millikin will hold NCC to the "second lowest point total this season", so they will score at least 56!!!
IWU Titans only school to win CCIW FB Championship in Every Decade: 48, 51, 64, 65, 74, 77, 80, 92, 94, 96, 00, 01, 07, 09, 17, 18!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: CardinalAlum on October 29, 2021, 11:24:17 AM
Quote from: TrueGreen on October 29, 2021, 10:03:51 AM
Any Thoughts about this w-end?

Carroll @ WashU
NP @ IWU
Augie @ Carthage
Wheaton @ Elmhurst
NCC @ Milikin

NP @ IWU & Augie @ Carthage are the only competitive games. Home teams have the advantage? The Augie offense (9th in scoring in league games) and Carthage (10 in def scoring in league play) is a match up to watch!!!

NP win would be crushing for the Titans. I don't like the fact that the viking offense seems to be heating up vs the IWU defense. Another match up to watch.

Pretty cool for NP and how this has progressed for them!

It'd be much cooler for NPU if the Vikings managed to win on Saturday. They haven't won three CCIW games in a season since Mike Conway debuted as NPU head coach with that breakthrough campaign eight years ago (I can't believe it's been that long since T.D. Conway hit John Barnabee with that touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter to beat Carthage and snap that ugly decade-plus CCIW losing streak, still one of my three or four favorite calls I've ever had the privilege to make on the air). What's more, the last time that the Vikings won three CCIW games in a row Jimmy Carter was in the White House, Pope John Paul II paid a visit to Chicago, and "My Sharona" by the Knack was the #1 hit in America.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

CardinalAlum

I'll ring up 'My Sharona' tomorrow if the Vikings pull that off!
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

bleedpurple

#39326
Quote from: Stagg Again!! on October 28, 2021, 11:48:56 PM
Quote from: D3FLETCH on October 28, 2021, 08:39:49 PM
How could Wheaton get left out? They had that signature win against Carroll. Wheaton would lose 3 games in WIAC this year.
Fletch.  Fletch.  Fletch.  Let me start by saying that I support a completely different team in the CCIW (Ahem... Cardinal Pride!).  I had the chance to watch the best of the WIAC tangle with the #2 team in the CCIW in the 2019 Natty and UWW didn't look so good that night at Woodforest Bank Stadium.  I am certainly aware that 12/20/19 is more than a lifetime ago for all of us (thank you COVID), but I did ALSO see NCC defeat Wheaton by 13 on 9/18/21 and Carthage by 51 on 10/9/21. I only mention the Carthage game because UWW had defeated the Redmen by 39 pts on 9/4.  Now, I'm absolutely no fan of circular math (been burned by it way too many times), but I will tell you that NCC is a very good team this year... perhaps even better than they were in 2019 (despite the loss of #9).  The Crusaders fought the Cardinals down to the wire this year and earned a LOT of respect from the NCC faithful by how they handled themselves on the field during and AFTER the game.  All of this said, I am not buying that WC would have three losses in the WIAC.  Hell, I don't think they'd have more losses than they do now.  I have NO idea if Wheaton will make the playoffs due to the limited number of at-large slots, but I will tell you that WC is certainly one of the five best teams in the country this year and deserve to make the field of 32. 

OK, that is absolutely the last time I am coming to the defense of the Crusaders this year or else I'll have USee inviting me out for drinks and dinner!! 

Oh, one more thing... before my WIAC and UWW friends think that I am disrespecting the league and team... not true.  I do believe that the WIAC, as a whole, is the strongest conference top to bottom this year.  I just wouldn't want you to underestimate how strong the top two teams in the CCIW are in this 2021 campaign!!

First of all, I don't think you are disrespecting UW-W or the WIAC. So let's get that out of the way. I think you have opinions, which you are completely entitled to. Regarding UW-W,  your opinions are understandable, but they are wrong.

1. If you think the UW-W 2021 team resembles the 2019 team, you are in for a shock. I pray for the opportunity to show you in person.
2. To compare the UW-W/Carthage score with the NCC/Carthage score and imply that they are anything other than equal is either disingenuous or ignorant.  You conveniently left out the fact that UW-W led 41-0 at halftime and could have named the score. I would submit we learn nothing about the comparative strengths of NCC and UW-W based on that result.

You have every right to form opinions on both outdated and incomplete information if you want. To a degree I suppose we all do that. But the truth is we won't know which team is better in 2021 for a bit yet.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 29, 2021, 11:55:19 AM
Quote from: CardinalAlum on October 29, 2021, 11:24:17 AM
Quote from: TrueGreen on October 29, 2021, 10:03:51 AM
Any Thoughts about this w-end?

Carroll @ WashU
NP @ IWU
Augie @ Carthage
Wheaton @ Elmhurst
NCC @ Milikin

NP @ IWU & Augie @ Carthage are the only competitive games. Home teams have the advantage? The Augie offense (9th in scoring in league games) and Carthage (10 in def scoring in league play) is a match up to watch!!!

NP win would be crushing for the Titans. I don't like the fact that the viking offense seems to be heating up vs the IWU defense. Another match up to watch.

Pretty cool for NP and how this has progressed for them!

It'd be much cooler for NPU if the Vikings managed to win on Saturday. They haven't won three CCIW games in a season since Mike Conway debuted as NPU head coach with that breakthrough campaign eight years ago (I can't believe it's been that long since T.D. Conway hit John Barnabee with that touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter to beat Carthage and snap that ugly decade-plus CCIW losing streak, still one of my three or four favorite calls I've ever had the privilege to make on the air). What's more, the last time that the Vikings won three CCIW games in a row Jimmy Carter was in the White House, Pope John Paul II paid a visit to Chicago, and "My Sharona" by the Knack was the #1 hit in America.

These lists are not complete without including the price of a postage stamp. 

15 cents.  Carry on.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Gregory Sager

#39328
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 29, 2021, 02:14:13 PM
2. To compare the UW-W/Carthage score with the NCC/Carthage score and imply that they are anything other than equal is either disingenuous or ignorant.  You conveniently left out the fact that UW-W led 41-0 at halftime and could have named the score. I would submit we learn nothing about the comparative strengths of NCC and UW-W based on that result.

I agree with this. I'm always a bit amused when people belabor the point of scoring margins when comparing massacres of the same victim. Does it matter if the monkey you stomped is so totally pulped that you can't even recognize that it used to be a monkey, as opposed to being stomped into a bloody mess that still retains a vague semblance of former primatehood? If you're going to start splitting hairs about comparative scoring margins in massive blowouts, then, as bleedpurple implied, you're also going to have to get into the weeds regarding when each coach took out his starters, when the last pass was thrown, when the coaches respectively told their backup QBs to run down the play clock, etc.

Of course, if you score four touchdowns in the fourth quarter to turn a ten-point lead into a 38-point lead, then that's a horse of a different color ... or a capuchin of a different blood type.

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 29, 2021, 02:33:23 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 29, 2021, 11:55:19 AMIt'd be much cooler for NPU if the Vikings managed to win on Saturday. They haven't won three CCIW games in a season since Mike Conway debuted as NPU head coach with that breakthrough campaign eight years ago (I can't believe it's been that long since T.D. Conway hit John Barnabee with that touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter to beat Carthage and snap that ugly decade-plus CCIW losing streak, still one of my three or four favorite calls I've ever had the privilege to make on the air). What's more, the last time that the Vikings won three CCIW games in a row Jimmy Carter was in the White House, Pope John Paul II paid a visit to Chicago, and "My Sharona" by the Knack was the #1 hit in America.

These lists are not complete without including the price of a postage stamp. 

15 cents.  Carry on.   :)

Always observe the rule of three. ;)
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton

Stagg Again!!

#39329
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 29, 2021, 02:14:13 PM
Quote from: Stagg Again!! on October 28, 2021, 11:48:56 PM
Quote from: D3FLETCH on October 28, 2021, 08:39:49 PM
How could Wheaton get left out? They had that signature win against Carroll. Wheaton would lose 3 games in WIAC this year.
Fletch.  Fletch.  Fletch.  Let me start by saying that I support a completely different team in the CCIW (Ahem... Cardinal Pride!).  I had the chance to watch the best of the WIAC tangle with the #2 team in the CCIW in the 2019 Natty and UWW didn't look so good that night at Woodforest Bank Stadium.  I am certainly aware that 12/20/19 is more than a lifetime ago for all of us (thank you COVID), but I did ALSO see NCC defeat Wheaton by 13 on 9/18/21 and Carthage by 51 on 10/9/21. I only mention the Carthage game because UWW had defeated the Redmen by 39 pts on 9/4.  Now, I'm absolutely no fan of circular math (been burned by it way too many times), but I will tell you that NCC is a very good team this year... perhaps even better than they were in 2019 (despite the loss of #9).  The Crusaders fought the Cardinals down to the wire this year and earned a LOT of respect from the NCC faithful by how they handled themselves on the field during and AFTER the game.  All of this said, I am not buying that WC would have three losses in the WIAC.  Hell, I don't think they'd have more losses than they do now.  I have NO idea if Wheaton will make the playoffs due to the limited number of at-large slots, but I will tell you that WC is certainly one of the five best teams in the country this year and deserve to make the field of 32. 

OK, that is absolutely the last time I am coming to the defense of the Crusaders this year or else I'll have USee inviting me out for drinks and dinner!! 

Oh, one more thing... before my WIAC and UWW friends think that I am disrespecting the league and team... not true.  I do believe that the WIAC, as a whole, is the strongest conference top to bottom this year.  I just wouldn't want you to underestimate how strong the top two teams in the CCIW are in this 2021 campaign!!

First of all, I don't think you are disrespecting UW-W or the WIAC. So let's get that out of the way. I think you have opinions, which you are completely entitled to. Regarding UW-W,  your opinions are understandable, but they are wrong.

1. If you think the UW-W 2021 team resembles the 2019 team, you are in for a shock. I pray for the opportunity to show you in person.
2. To compare the UW-W/Carthage score with the NCC/Carthage score and imply that they are anything other than equal is either disingenuous or ignorant.  You conveniently left out the fact that UW-W led 41-0 at halftime and could have named the score. I would submit we learn nothing about the comparative strengths of NCC and UW-W based on that result.

You have every right to form opinions on both outdated and incomplete information if you want. To a degree I suppose we all do that. But the truth is we won't know which team is better in 2021 for a bit yet.

Bleed, I agree with your points completely.  The point I was trying to make had nothing to do with UWW... other than to show that both NCC and UWW both beat Carthage by a wide margin and that WC played NCC well.  I don't know what that translates into as it relates to the comparative strength of NCC and UWW, but it sure as heck doesn't translate into three losses for WC if they had played a WIAC schedule this year.  'Nuf said on this... except for the fact that I would love to see a 2021 rematch of NCC and UWW... I think we both may be surprised at how good these teams have gotten despite key losses.