FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_jays, Kovo and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mugsy

Sounds like Carthage's D is completely dominating, but why try a fake punt on your own 25?  Not smart if you ask me...
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

DarrinC

Carthage 19 - Millikin 7
Final

Carthage gave up one first down in the first half.
Fake punt hurt them, but came out ok in the end.

defense was dominating.

Augie won huge - should be fun next Sat. night in Kenosha.

irish21

I Believe!

Offense wins games - defense wins championships!

Way to go Redmen!!
Iron Will

Redmen96

I believe the fake punt thing worked a few times last year by catching people off guard with poor field position.
We will always be REDMEN

augiedogie

Augie 50 NPU 6.  Some interesting facts of the day. NPU doesn't have the confidence to kick a field goal (32 yards with no wind). They also want for 2 on their only TD which won't win them many games.  Augie recievers 1 completion on 2 attempts. Augie secondary 6 receptions including 1 for a TD.  I have to admit though the NPU safety only got burned once on the playaction pass.  It was a pretty dominating game on both sides of the ball.  


Talking about fake punts NPU faked a punt in the 4th quarter with just a couple of minutes left in the game at their own 25.  

b_holmgren

As I recall, fake punts were a huge weapon for Carthage last year against Wheaton. The few times the Thunder had them stopped, the Redmen would gash them for 20 on a trick play. I seem to remember at least two of them working.

dansand

Good win for Augie today. It's great to see North Park go 3-0 in their non-conference schedule, but, honestly, I can't say that I saw much improvement today over previous years. They moved the ball a little bit in the first half with some underneath routes and a few effective draw plays. It didn't take long for Augie to start pressing their receivers and jumping the short routes, forcing them to throw over the top. When they did, North Park had absolutely no success. Tom Anthony had three of the six picks. For the year,  he now has six interceptions and two pass receptions and, amazingly, leads the team in both categories--only at Augie :). On offense, the running game looked great early but a little more lethargic as the game went along. I'm a little concerned that J.J. McDowell didn't play after about the second series and I didn't see him at all on the sidelines after that. If anybody has any info please pass it along. Tight end Tom McIntire also went out in the first half. Hopefully nothing too serious. The (Augie) Vikes are, obviously, in for a lot stiffer test next week at Carthage. I'm pretty sure Matt Roe will have to break into double digits in passing attempts--for the season. Seriously, although I'm still concerned about the porousness of their defense, it's good to see they've forced 15 turnovers in the first four games.

red99

Should be one hell of a match up between the Carthage defense and the high powered Augie run offense. It will be interesting to see what schemes the Carthage D-Cord. will come up with to slow down Augie. Can't wait, it will be a fun game to watch and the hill will be roudy.

augiedogie

Red99:

I agree it will be a great game next weekend. Carthage has a tough defense, but is it much different than last years? Augie had no trouble running on them then, and I don't think they will have trouble this year as well. Granted the game is in Kenosha this year, but I think it will have a similiar outcome like last years with it being a little closer this year.

Mugsy

Sounds like a fun defensive game in Decatur (as only a former LB could like).  From what I can gather sounds like the Redmen D is good as advertised.  Big win for Carthage on the road against a solid Millikin team.

As I expected, while NPU is improved, some of the luster may be a result of the poor non-conference schedule.  Augie obviously showed they aren't ready for prime time just yet.  Still they might surprise someone down the road, especially if a team overlooks them.

Just determined I can't make the NCC/Wheaton game and I'm seriously disappointed.  I really wanted to see this in person... nothing can replace seeing the blocking, tackling, and execution in person.  I was looking forward to seeing the NCC All-American studs in person, but more importantly for me, how Wheaton matched up and what scheme they use to stop them.  I'll definitely be listening... but it's not the same.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

So much for the claim made by one of the NPU posters, that Haehn is "the best passer in the CCIW".  12 of 32 for 118 and 6 INT's?  That's 14 INT's in 4 games...
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

Wheaton 10 - NCC 7... midway through 2nd quarter.  Andrew Day just kicked a 42 yard FG.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

6:03 left in 2nd quarter, 35 yard TD pass, Chupp to Fossum... 17-7 Wheaton over NCC
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

#658
32 yard FG for Day... Wheaton 20, NCC 7 at the half.

Andrew Day 8 for 8 on FG's for the season.

Keith and Pat doing a great job on the D3Football Game of the Week play by play.

292 yards offense in first half for Wheaton, with balanced attack.  161 yards offense for NCC.  Interception in endzone really hurt NCC.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

augievike93

Quote from: dansand on October 01, 2005, 06:16:40 PM
[/i]. Seriously, although I'm still concerned about the porousness of their defense, it's good to see they've forced 15 turnovers in the first four games.

You know I felt the same way about Augie's D today.  It felt like they gave up a lot of yards and were able to stop NP only with the interceptions.  However, after I looked at the stats, there wasn't much yardage given up.  I think that there was less than 200 yards of total offense.  But I do think that the D-backs do tend to lay off the line a bit too much before the ball is snapped.  There were many  plays in the first half especially that if NP looked beyond the number one read, that they would have found a better option usually running a short 5 yd route.  Now it could be that Shea, Anthony, Simpson and the rest were just leaving the low man on the NP Recievers totem pole, but I've been going to too many games to know where and how Augie has been burnt before.  Now for some questions...A) what was the deal with NP's "Roll out punt formation"?  It was essentially a shotgun formation with 4 wide outs and the punter would take the ball to his left for a few punts before he punted it.  B) Does anyone know if the long snapper that popped a snap over Slette's arms on the 2nd TD conversion attempt was a 2nd stringer?  I was curious if Gelsomino, who was lost last week with the broken leg, was their normal long snapper.