FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

usee

Pat,

when is your first playoff projections coming out?

79jaybird

MatBlake--Good points, but I disagree with the Elmhurst/Wheaton game being a make it and/or break it for Elmhurst. Here's why.
The last 3 years EC has been 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.  My goal at the beginning of the year was (at the worst) 7-3.  7 wins shows that the program is turning it around and we are still climbing up the ladder.  If we finish 6-4, 5-5, 4-6, then it just shows that we are continuing to spiral in the "middle sector" of the conference, viewing the upper tier from a distance still.
Wheaton is going to be a tough game for Elmhurst moreso because their Offense is not playing consistent right now.  I agree their defense won the Carthage and IWU game last week, along with giving the Jays some hope against Augie and NC.
Wheaton is not "untouchable" and dominating like they were a few years back.  Studebaker is going to get his fair share of sacks and penetration.  That is one of those situations where you can't stop him, you only hope to contain him.  Should be a good game in Wheaton on Sat.  Are you going to be there?
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018  & 2024 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

CardinalAlum

Quote from: 79jaybird on October 21, 2006, 11:22:25 PM
The Elmhurst defense is no doubt 1 of the top 3 defenses in the CCIW. 

Jbird,

Here's the updated defensive stats:  Care to retract?  ;D :P

TOTAL DEFENSE            G  Rush Pass Plys Yards  Avg  TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Millikin............  4   287  707  249   994  4.0   8 248.5
2. Augustana...........  4   477  635  222  1112  5.0   7 278.0
3. Carthage............  4   589  524  242  1113  4.6  12 278.2
4. North Central.......  4   372  884  256  1256  4.9   8 314.0
5. Wheaton.............  4   527  744  263  1271  4.8   8 317.8
6. Illinois Wesleyan...  4   686  596  273  1282  4.7  10 320.5
7. Elmhurst............  4   738  547  254  1285  5.1  10 321.2
8. North Park..........  4  1037  676  278  1713  6.2  27 428.2
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

FatalImpact

If those stats are correct....why is it that Milikin aint in the top of the conference
Aurora Football 24/7 365

CardinalAlum

Quote from: FatalImpact on October 23, 2006, 01:58:20 PM
If those stats are correct....why is it that Milikin aint in the top of the conference

They "aint in the top of the conference" because they "aint" won enough games!  8)
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

Mugsy

Quote from: CardinalAlum on October 23, 2006, 01:31:59 PM
Quote from: 79jaybird on October 21, 2006, 11:22:25 PM
The Elmhurst defense is no doubt 1 of the top 3 defenses in the CCIW. 

Jbird,

Here's the updated defensive stats:  Care to retract?  ;D :P

TOTAL DEFENSE            G  Rush Pass Plys Yards  Avg  TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Millikin............  4   287  707  249   994  4.0   8 248.5
2. Augustana...........  4   477  635  222  1112  5.0   7 278.0
3. Carthage............  4   589  524  242  1113  4.6  12 278.2
4. North Central.......  4   372  884  256  1256  4.9   8 314.0
5. Wheaton.............  4   527  744  263  1271  4.8   8 317.8
6. Illinois Wesleyan...  4   686  596  273  1282  4.7  10 320.5
7. Elmhurst............  4   738  547  254  1285  5.1  10 321.2
8. North Park..........  4  1037  676  278  1713  6.2  27 428.2


Not in the top 3 in points allowed either:

SCORING DEFENSE          G   TD  XP 2XP DXP  FG Saf  Pts   Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Augustana...........  4    7   7   0   0   0   0   49  12.2
2. Millikin............  4    8   4   1   0   2   0   60  15.0
3. Wheaton.............  4    9   6   0   0   3   0   69  17.2
4. North Central.......  4    9   6   1   1   5   0   79  19.8
5. Carthage............  4   12  11   0   0   0   0   83  20.8
6. Elmhurst............  4   11   9   0   0   3   0   84  21.0
7. Illinois Wesleyan...  4   11   5   1   0   3   2   86  21.5
8. North Park..........  4   30  26   1   0   3   1  219  54.8
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

Quote from: FatalImpact on October 23, 2006, 01:58:20 PM
If those stats are correct....why is it that Milikin aint in the top of the conference

Because there is more to winning than just defensive stats.  Being a former defensive player, I can't believe I just said that.  ::) 

While a strong defense is an indication of a strong team, there isn't necessarily a one-to-one relation.  There are a bunch of factors, but primarily Millikin hasn't been scoring enough.  Their defense has kept them in virtually every game, but the offense hasn't done it's part to win the game.

Case in point:
1. It took a late TD by North Central to win 22-18
2. IWU won in overtime 12-6
3. Wheaton slugged out a 20-7 win over Millikin
4. Against North Park... well North Park is North Park so Millikin scored 36 in an easy 36-6 victory
5. Millikin offense finally woke up in the 4th quarter against Wabash, but it was too little to late in a 38-31 loss
6. Millikin's offense scored just enough to beat Illinois College 24-20
7. ONU held Millikin in check for most of the day for a 28-14 victory.

Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Comet 14

You can't just look at totall yards ot total points to argue best defense. While I am not necessarily agreeing that they are one of the top three defenses I am not disputing that either. The type of offense has a lot to do with totall defense. Augies offense controls the clock so well and does not turn the ball over so there defense benefits. Elmhursts defense has played extremly well considering there offensive struggles.

matblake

#6458
Quote from: 79jaybird on October 23, 2006, 01:04:09 PM
MatBlake--Good points, but I disagree with the Elmhurst/Wheaton game being a make it and/or break it for Elmhurst. Here's why.
The last 3 years EC has been 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.  My goal at the beginning of the year was (at the worst) 7-3.  7 wins shows that the program is turning it around and we are still climbing up the ladder.  If we finish 6-4, 5-5, 4-6, then it just shows that we are continuing to spiral in the "middle sector" of the conference, viewing the upper tier from a distance still.
Wheaton is going to be a tough game for Elmhurst moreso because their Offense is not playing consistent right now.  I agree their defense won the Carthage and IWU game last week, along with giving the Jays some hope against Augie and NC.
Wheaton is not "untouchable" and dominating like they were a few years back.  Studebaker is going to get his fair share of sacks and penetration.  That is one of those situations where you can't stop him, you only hope to contain him.  Should be a good game in Wheaton on Sat.  Are you going to be there?

I agree that Wheaton is not unstoppable.  North Central stopped them for a half and Augie beat them.  Lets not forget the 1999 Wheaton/Elmhurst game either.  Wheaton was heavily favored, but couldn't get it done.  Ugh, still hurts.  I just think that an Elmhurst loss drops them into the same category of an up an comer as they have been in the last few years. 

Edit: To clarify that the 1999 game was the Wheaton/Elmhurst game.

matblake

Quote from: 79jaybird on October 23, 2006, 01:04:09 PM
Should be a good game in Wheaton on Sat.  Are you going to be there?

I am not going to be there.   :'(  Coming from Detroit is a long drive.  Besides, my wife and I are going "up north" this weekend.  She's really hoping there is still some good color on the trees up there.   

Mugsy

Over on the NCAC board there is a mpg of the hail mary pass from the Allegheny vs. Wooster game. 

About as bad as you can defend a hail mary...  The DB tries to catch the ball instead of knocking it down, thus the deflection for a TD.  I'm not sure what the heck the right DT was doing.  They would have been just as ineffective if  they had only 10 men on the field.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Mugsy on October 23, 2006, 03:57:37 PM
Over on the NCAC board there is a mpg of the hail mary pass from the Allegheny vs. Wooster game. 

About as bad as you can defend a hail mary...  The DB tries to catch the ball instead of knocking it down, thus the deflection for a TD.  I'm not sure what the heck the right DT was doing.  They would have been just as ineffective if  they had only 10 men on the field.

Why are you criticizing the DT?  He was obviously spying the QB in case he tried to scramble 50 or so yards with no time left!   ;D  I agree.  That was brutal!
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

Mugsy

Quote from: CardinalAlum on October 23, 2006, 04:16:50 PM
Quote from: Mugsy on October 23, 2006, 03:57:37 PM
Over on the NCAC board there is a mpg of the hail mary pass from the Allegheny vs. Wooster game. 

About as bad as you can defend a hail mary...  The DB tries to catch the ball instead of knocking it down, thus the deflection for a TD.  I'm not sure what the heck the right DT was doing.  They would have been just as ineffective if  they had only 10 men on the field.

Why are you criticizing the DT?  He was obviously spying the QB in case he tried to scramble 50 or so yards with no time left!   ;D  I agree.  That was brutal!

Yeah over on the NCAC board I mentioned that he was probably spying the QB, but that is stupid when there is only 4 seconds left in the game.  A long run isn't going to beat you.  Just a horribly defended play - obviously.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

79jaybird

MatBlake-- Yes 1999 was a big win for Elmhurst.  In fact, that is the last time Elmhurst has beat Wheaton.  Top that off, I was on the team and played in that game.  Wheaton was ranked and heading for post season, when Elmhurst pulled off the 22-16 upset.  That was such an unexpected win for Elmhurst, they left the scoreboard on all night long.  Nobody in their right minds expected us to win that game.  I remember going over with a couple of fb players at 2:00 am  ringing the bell until campus security came by and told us to go back home.  ;D
There are a few simple things that have to happen/can't happen (depending on which team you're rooting for) in the EC/W game.
A) Elmhurst has to be able to control Andy Studebaker and Wheaton's defense.  I don't go by stats (which I will get to in a moment), more than I go by what I have seen.  When I was calling the Wheaton/Albion game I saw a defense just dominate all game long and shut down the Brits.  That same scenario can't happen on Sat. if you're a Bluejay fan, otherwise Wheaton will win lopsided.
B) Elmhurst has to get their offense going.  We almost went an entire quarter without consecutive first downs!  That 3rd and (most of) the 4th quarter last week was just 3 and out, conservative run bull***  that is fine when you are up by 21 points or so, but when trailing ugh!
IMO, Elmhurst has to get their receivers (Young/Cooley/Veldhuis etc.) more touches and involved more in the offense.  That running between the tackles hasn't been doing it and hurt us.  Especially in the Augie/NC games.
C) Wheaton has to take care of the football-   Could be said for both teams, but I think Wheaton is the stronger team right now.  Having said this, I do think if the Thunder cough up the football and can't operate effectively on offense, Elmhurst has enough talent to make them pay for their mistakes.
What does this mean?  Probably nothing, because on Saturday it is who is executing, making their proper plays, form tackling, and not turning the ball over.  I don't expect a lopsided game and I think whoever wins, will win by 7-10 points.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018  & 2024 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

79jaybird

CardinalAlum/Mugsy,  while the stats don't support my argument I will say that I think EC's defense is in the top 3 based upon what I have seen on the field.  Yes stats count for something, but I look at the game and what is going on, on the field. 
Ex. Wheaton vs. Albion.  As I mentioned in my last post, I saw a Thunder team just completely handcuff the Britons.  Without looking at the stats IMO, I would put Wheaton's Defense at #1 in the CCIW.  Studebaker is the best defensive player I have seen in quite some time.  Similar to John Munch back at IWU.
EC was able to hold the most potent offense in the CCIW to a mere FG after a half, which just goes to show you the capabilities of this defense.  I am not saying they are the best, I just think they are 1 of the top 3 I have seen this year.
Last thing-- These kids and defensive groups are human.  They can't hold the offense forever.  When the offense goes consistently 3 and out, they don't get that extended "breather" and eventually all defenses have to give.  That's partly what happened in the Augie game 3 weeks ago.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018  & 2024 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION