FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

Tailgater

BP responds:
You saw this, right?

Certainly, one cannot draw conclusions solely off stats, but for the most part, they provide strong guidance on future performance.  If anything, stats provide tangible ground for everyone to debate with or benchmark.


Certainly I did. Your sarcastic response is a clue to how you piled up negative karma (of which I won't contribute to) while so called "debating".  Reading and understanding the written word is a skill. One I think I'm capable of. You said "stats provide strong guidance on future performance". In this specific case I disagreed and believe there is little to no comparable measure of how these 2 teams match up as the stats represent no common opponents or circumstances.  If you had said "stats provide some guidance on future performance", I'd yield to that line of reasoning. The Carthage defense had lights-out stats in 2004, but these stats were meaningless as to how poorly Carthage would perform against NP and almost blow a magical season that year. "Statistically" NP has failed to win a CCIW game in many a year while Carthage has won it's fair share. Does this stat provide strong guidance on future performance? I doubt it or not necessarily.

cardinaldad

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Bell Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

burly

Quote from: Tailgater on October 05, 2007, 11:59:42 PM
BP responds:
You saw this, right?

Certainly, one cannot draw conclusions solely off stats, but for the most part, they provide strong guidance on future performance.  If anything, stats provide tangible ground for everyone to debate with or benchmark.


QuoteYou said "stats provide strong guidance on future performance". In this specific case I disagreed and believe there is little to no comparable measure of how these 2 teams match up as the stats represent no common opponents or circumstances.  If you had said "stats provide some guidance on future performance", I'd yield to that line of reasoning.

Fair enough, I should have used "some". 

matblake

Quote from: cardinaldad on October 06, 2007, 01:36:19 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Bell Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta love it!  This game is interesting on so many levels.  Will the Cardinals work out their secondary woes?  Will the 3-3-5 defense be able to pick off Wheaton's QB's all day?  Will the vaunted Thunder defense be able to stop the best back they have seen to this point?  Will the Cardinal special teams make a mistake against Ittersagen?  Will the stout Cardinal front 6 be able to keep the Wheaton running game under wraps and make the Thunder one dimensional?  All this...and more at 8 PM Eastern/ 7 PM Central time!

matblake

More pub for the Little Brass Bell game in the Daily Dose.  Check out Pat's take on an upset.  Either you will be  ;D or  :-\ depending on who you root for.

burly

#12020
Quote from: matblake on October 06, 2007, 08:02:11 AM
Quote from: cardinaldad on October 06, 2007, 01:36:19 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Bell Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta love it!  This game is interesting on so many levels.  Will the Cardinals work out their secondary woes?  Will the 3-3-5 defense be able to pick off Wheaton's QB's all day?  Will the vaunted Thunder defense be able to stop the best back they have seen to this point?  Will the Cardinal special teams make a mistake against Ittersagen?  Will the stout Cardinal front 6 be able to keep the Wheaton running game under wraps and make the Thunder one dimensional?  All this...and more at 8 PM Eastern/ 7 PM Central time!

And finally, will the bell stay in Wheaton?  What's everyone's game day prediction?

New Tradition

I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

Titan Q

An article previewing the IWU/Carthage game...

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/10/06/sports/doc4706e78c46ca0383469066.txt


If the Titans avoid the big special teams mistakes that have plagued them this season, I think it will be a great game. 

usee

Quote from: Titan Q on October 06, 2007, 08:55:10 AM
An article previewing the IWU/Carthage game...

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/10/06/sports/doc4706e78c46ca0383469066.txt


If the Titans avoid the big special teams mistakes that have plagued them this season, I think it will be a great game. 

Good article. While this game probably gets 3rd billing for the CCIW race today it is a critical matchup as highlited in the Pantagraph. Carthage absolutely has to win this game to stay in the CCIW hunt. If they lose their title hopes are done. IWU is in a similar boat since both teams still have undefeated teams on their schedule. IWU will raise a lot of eyebrows with a win in Kenosha. I expect Carthage to prevail but I do not have a good feel for either team. I will watch this one closely.

AndOne

Wherever the venue today, it would be nice to have some good "football" weather!

usee

Quote from: Titan Q on October 06, 2007, 02:29:47 PM
IWU 13
Carthage 7

2:15 1st Q

63 yard pass, Ladd to Scalcucci (2nd connection for those two)

Missed extra point

special teams woes continue for IWU. including to this missed xtra point the long snapper rolled a snap back to the punter. Carthage missed a FG however.

Titan Q

Quote from: usee on October 06, 2007, 02:32:02 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on October 06, 2007, 02:29:47 PM
IWU 13
Carthage 7

2:15 1st Q

63 yard pass, Ladd to Scalcucci (2nd connection for those two)

Missed extra point

special teams woes continue for IWU. including to this missed xtra point the long snapper rolled a snap back to the punter. Carthage missed a FG however.

Yep, and what a killer when you're trying to win a tough road game.

It is nice to see some of the young talent though -- Ladd and Scalcucci are both sophomores and RB Bo Lanter is a freshman.

usee

Quote from: Titan Q on October 06, 2007, 02:44:52 PM
Elmhurst 0
Augustana 0

End of 1st Q

per WJBC radio crew

Yes. 0-0 midway through 2nd. defense on both sides dominating. listening to Jbird on the elmhurst radio.

WahooThunder

Quote from: matblake on October 06, 2007, 08:08:01 AM
More pub for the Little Brass Bell game in the Daily Dose.  Check out Pat's take on an upset.  Either you will be  ;D or  :-\ depending on who you root for.

Sorry Pat, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  The Wheaton quarterback will be fine, there are going to be some things that are different this week that should help with the pass protection issues.  Unless Sulo breaks through with a huge game, which I cannot see happening, Wheaton will win comfortably.  It is a rivalry game and it is on the road, but that only makes up for so much.  Wheaton is a much better team, and it will show tonight.

usee

Quote from: Titan Q on October 06, 2007, 02:51:14 PM
IWU 21
Carthage 10

8:39 2nd Q

41 yard FG, Carthage

Mt Union is destroying #9 ONU at ONU. 30-0 at half. ONU has -9 yds offense in first half to 300 for Mt Union. Everyone else in the country appears to playing for their beating by MUC.