FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.

matblake

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 16, 2007, 01:18:28 PM
Right. That assumes that there was a CCIW team in mind.

The blue and orange on our rails are offshoots from D3hoops.com, which was designed by an MIAA grad.

Taken down again by the guru......... :)

Brass Bell

Quote from: 79jaybird on October 16, 2007, 01:18:00 PM
There has been some discussion about Carthage injuries and  roster alterations.  The fact that the numbers not active are up and players not dressing is NOT primarily due to injuries.  
I have firsthand information that there is a severe case of Staph Infection going around the Carthage environment, and many players are ill battling this illness.  
I heard that the Staph Infection resurfaced in the same dorm as last year.  Terrible!  I hope all the Red Men feel better asap and get back to the fields soon.   There are some injuries yes, however many players are out due to the Staph.


Thanks for the feedback 79jaybird.......Had no idea that was the case......Agree with you 100%.... Get Well Soon Redmen!

usee

Quote from: 79jaybird on October 16, 2007, 12:34:22 PM
  NPU is such a great academic institution and the neighborhood is safe/clean,  why so much trouble attracting good football talent?

Be careful what you ask for...........

cardinaldad

Quote from: 79jaybird on October 16, 2007, 01:18:00 PM
There has been some discussion about Carthage injuries and  roster alterations.  The fact that the numbers not active are up and players not dressing is NOT primarily due to injuries.  
I have firsthand information that there is a severe case of Staph Infection going around the Carthage environment, and many players are ill battling this illness.  
I heard that the Staph Infection resurfaced in the same dorm as last year.  Terrible!  I hope all the Red Men feel better asap and get back to the fields soon.   There are some injuries yes, however many players are out due to the Staph.


I've heard this as well. Some of the cases, I hear, are very severe. This can be very, very serious. Let's hope they can all eliminate the infection and fully recover.
Staph infections have been in the news quite a bit the last couple of years. I don't ever remember anyone having these types of infections a number of years ago. Can anyone give any insight as to why they(staph infections) are so prevelent now? Could it be the new field turf causing it? Perhaps it breeds some bacteria that is transfered with turf burn?

79jaybird

The word I received was the origin of the Staph came from the SAME dorm room. The person who told me the news was adamant that Carthage did not really disinfect the area appropriately hence, the origin is from the same area.  Staph is very serious and can become life threatening if not treated accordingly. Hope everybody gets back to full strength ASAP.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018  & 2024 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Dennis_Prikkel

Quote from: Titan Q on October 15, 2007, 06:36:25 PM
A little pub. for North Park and North Central on Sportscenter tonight...something about the 1968 game played between the two featuring more points scored than that crazy Boise St/Nevada game.

Titan Q - actually the 136 combined points by Boise St/Nevada tied the North Park/North Central output, as the most combined points scored by two teams in the modern era of college football (1937 onwards).  Sportscenter did have the month wrong, (not November), but, as all good North Parkers know it was Homecoming October 12, 1968.

MW

I watched the 2nd half of the Boise/Nevada game and it was astounding.  The QB Nevada was incredible running the ball and the running back from Boise St. couldn't be tackled by anything less than four guys.



I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

TrueAugieAlum

AUGIE, AUGIE, A
                           U
                               G
                               G
                               G
                               G
                               G
                                I
                                I
                                I
                                E
                                E
                                E
                                E
                                CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Tradition

Quote from: cardinaldad on October 16, 2007, 03:54:44 PM
I've heard this as well. Some of the cases, I hear, are very severe. This can be very, very serious. Let's hope they can all eliminate the infection and fully recover.
Staph infections have been in the news quite a bit the last couple of years. I don't ever remember anyone having these types of infections a number of years ago. Can anyone give any insight as to why they(staph infections) are so prevelent now? Could it be the new field turf causing it? Perhaps it breeds some bacteria that is transfered with turf burn?

Cardinaldad,
I know that Staph infections are much worse now than they used to be because people have misused antibiotics creating "superbugs."  Oftentimes, people take antibiotics until their symptoms are gone and then stop without finishing their prescription.   It doesn't necessarily mean that the infection is gone, however.  The antibiotic has killed most of the infection, leaving only the cells that were naturally strong against that particular antibiotic.  When these bacteria multiply, they create more anti-biotic resistant cells.  If you do this with enough antibiotics, you have an infection that is resistant to just about everything.  I know this is the case with MRSA, a pretty nasty, potentially deadly Staph infection that I had my sophomore year at NCC.  Unfortunately, this also makes it more difficult for the human immune system to fight off these infections, which accounts for the increase in their frequency, not only in athletes, but also in the general population as well.  Athletes are more likely to contract them because the close quarters and constant skin contact with so many individuals simply increases the likelihood of coming into contact with someone who has been exposed to the bacteria.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

burly

#12488
Quote from: New Tradition on October 16, 2007, 07:38:09 PM
Quote from: cardinaldad on October 16, 2007, 03:54:44 PM
I've heard this as well. Some of the cases, I hear, are very severe. This can be very, very serious. Let's hope they can all eliminate the infection and fully recover.
Staph infections have been in the news quite a bit the last couple of years. I don't ever remember anyone having these types of infections a number of years ago. Can anyone give any insight as to why they(staph infections) are so prevelent now? Could it be the new field turf causing it? Perhaps it breeds some bacteria that is transfered with turf burn?

Cardinaldad,
I know that Staph infections are much worse now than they used to be because people have misused antibiotics creating "superbugs."  Oftentimes, people take antibiotics until their symptoms are gone and then stop without finishing their prescription.   It doesn't necessarily mean that the infection is gone, however.  The antibiotic has killed most of the infection, leaving only the cells that were naturally strong against that particular antibiotic.  When these bacteria multiply, they create more anti-biotic resistant cells.  If you do this with enough antibiotics, you have an infection that is resistant to just about everything.  I know this is the case with MRSA, a pretty nasty, potentially deadly Staph infection that I had my sophomore year at NCC.  Unfortunately, this also makes it more difficult for the human immune system to fight off these infections, which accounts for the increase in their frequency, not only in athletes, but also in the general population as well.  Athletes are more likely to contract them because the close quarters and constant skin contact with so many individuals simply increases the likelihood of coming into contact with someone who has been exposed to the bacteria.

Well done New Tradition...I am impressed.  You are either a doctor or have had a Staph Infection.

In high school, I had a Staph infection and what New Tradition stated above happened to me.  It looks like spider bite but continues to swell and grow until it becomes unbearably painful.  In addition, it usually accompanies dizziness, headaches and a lethargic feeling. 

I took oral antibiotics for 10 days and it resided.  Then it warped, so I went in to the hospital and took IV antibiotics for a couple of days along with oral antibiotics, but that could not slow it down.  Finally, after catching a double header and passing out, I thought it was probably a good idea to not be a tough guy and go to the hospital.  I was emitted for 10 days and they put me on IV antibiotics and ended up cutting each infection on my waistline (3 total) and inserting rubber tubes in them to drain the infections.  The doctor said it was caused by the dirt inside my sliding shorts rubbing against my skin forming abrasions and allowing bacteria to enter resulting in infections.   Anyway, I am fine today, but these infections are very serious and not to be messed with. 

I hope all the infected Redman get better soon.

washdupcard

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything
that's even remotely true!"   Homer Simpson.

Simba

My fellow d3.com posters...This is for all football fans at every level...We need some grass roots help here to change the minds of the status quo elite to "right a wrong" by signing an on-line petition...If you know the story great...If not, the book has now been published...The movie script has been finalized...A Director is on-board and a Studio will be named very soon...Another Seabiscuit perhaps?...You heard it here first...Go to espn.com's page 2, scroll down to Tony Latone to click on the link to sign the petition....Also pick up a copy of the book...If you played the game, are a real fan or both, you won't be able to put it down until you complete it!...Simba

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index

New Tradition

#12491
Quote from: Billy Pilgrim on October 16, 2007, 08:09:00 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on October 16, 2007, 07:38:09 PM
Quote from: cardinaldad on October 16, 2007, 03:54:44 PM
I've heard this as well. Some of the cases, I hear, are very severe. This can be very, very serious. Let's hope they can all eliminate the infection and fully recover.
Staph infections have been in the news quite a bit the last couple of years. I don't ever remember anyone having these types of infections a number of years ago. Can anyone give any insight as to why they(staph infections) are so prevelent now? Could it be the new field turf causing it? Perhaps it breeds some bacteria that is transfered with turf burn?

Cardinaldad,
I know that Staph infections are much worse now than they used to be because people have misused antibiotics creating "superbugs."  Oftentimes, people take antibiotics until their symptoms are gone and then stop without finishing their prescription.   It doesn't necessarily mean that the infection is gone, however.  The antibiotic has killed most of the infection, leaving only the cells that were naturally strong against that particular antibiotic.  When these bacteria multiply, they create more anti-biotic resistant cells.  If you do this with enough antibiotics, you have an infection that is resistant to just about everything.  I know this is the case with MRSA, a pretty nasty, potentially deadly Staph infection that I had my sophomore year at NCC.  Unfortunately, this also makes it more difficult for the human immune system to fight off these infections, which accounts for the increase in their frequency, not only in athletes, but also in the general population as well.  Athletes are more likely to contract them because the close quarters and constant skin contact with so many individuals simply increases the likelihood of coming into contact with someone who has been exposed to the bacteria.

Well done New Tradition...I am impressed.  You are either a doctor or have had a Staph Infection.

In high school, I had a Staph infection and what New Tradition stated above happened to me.  It looks like spider bite but continues to swell and grow until it becomes unbearably painful.  In addition, it usually accompanies dizziness, headaches and a lethargic feeling. 

I took oral antibiotics for 10 days and it resided.  Then it warped, so I went in to the hospital and took IV antibiotics for a couple of days along with oral antibiotics, but that could not slow it down.  Finally, after catching a double header and passing out, I thought it was probably a good idea to not be a tough guy and go to the hospital.  I was emitted for 10 days and they put me on IV antibiotics and ended up cutting each infection on my waistline (3 total) and inserting rubber tubes in them to drain the infections.  The doctor said it was caused by the dirt inside my sliding shorts rubbing against my skin forming abrasions and allowing bacteria to enter resulting in infections.   Anyway, I am fine today, but these infections are very serious and not to be messed with. 

I hope all the infected Redman get better soon.

BP,
I'm actually a history teacher.  Not bad, eh?  :) ;)  I have to give credit to my mom.  She is a nurse, so I learned a lot when I had MRSA my sophomore year.  It was in my left armpit and to date was the most painful thing that I have dealt with.  If I tried to lift my arm at all the pain was excruciating.  I ended up having it lanced and having drain tubes put in as well, and it felt so much better after they took all that pressure off.  The infection was actually cut in 2 by the crease in my armpit, so that is what caused all the pain.  One particular night before I had it lanced, though, I remember laying on my futon in my dorm room with 3 t-shirts, a hoodie, my winter coat, my sideline parka, and several blankets just shivering uncontrollably.  It was bad news for sure.  Sounds like your case was a bit worse, though, as I was not hospitalized.  Glad we both recovered, though.
P.S. Thanks for the karma boost.
P.P.S.  You never did answer my question last week.  Who did you play for, out of curiosity?

*Edited for grammar
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

Mr. Ypsi

There's still a bit of season to go (understatment alert!), but I predict the AQ will be determined in Bloomington on November 10th.  This assumes (which I predict, but do NOT assume) that IWU beats Elmhurst this Saturday at home:

IF NCC loses in Rock Island next week (my prediction as of today) the IWU @ NCC game becomes irrelevant to the AQ (assuming no huge upsets), and the winner of IWU-Wheaton will be the AQ, either outright champion or by head-to-head tiebreaker.

If NCC prevails (and there are no other monumental upsets), but loses at home to IWU, see above.

If NCC wins out, the AQ is STILL determined in Btown - either Wheaton wins it, or IWU wins and the point differential in the Wheaton(+4) vs. NCC and IWU-NCC (?) and IWU-Wheaton (?) determines the AQ.

Comments?

p.s., if Elmhurst wins what I would now consider a mild upset, please forget I ever wrote this! ;D

pg04

Quote from: New Tradition on October 16, 2007, 10:17:41 PM
Quote from: Billy Pilgrim on October 16, 2007, 08:09:00 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on October 16, 2007, 07:38:09 PM
Quote from: cardinaldad on October 16, 2007, 03:54:44 PM
I've heard this as well. Some of the cases, I hear, are very severe. This can be very, very serious. Let's hope they can all eliminate the infection and fully recover.
Staph infections have been in the news quite a bit the last couple of years. I don't ever remember anyone having these types of infections a number of years ago. Can anyone give any insight as to why they(staph infections) are so prevelent now? Could it be the new field turf causing it? Perhaps it breeds some bacteria that is transfered with turf burn?

Cardinaldad,
I know that Staph infections are much worse now than they used to be because people have misused antibiotics creating "superbugs."  Oftentimes, people take antibiotics until their symptoms are gone and then stop without finishing their prescription.   It doesn't necessarily mean that the infection is gone, however.  The antibiotic has killed most of the infection, leaving only the cells that were naturally strong against that particular antibiotic.  When these bacteria multiply, they create more anti-biotic resistant cells.  If you do this with enough antibiotics, you have an infection that is resistant to just about everything.  I know this is the case with MRSA, a pretty nasty, potentially deadly Staph infection that I had my sophomore year at NCC.  Unfortunately, this also makes it more difficult for the human immune system to fight off these infections, which accounts for the increase in their frequency, not only in athletes, but also in the general population as well.  Athletes are more likely to contract them because the close quarters and constant skin contact with so many individuals simply increases the likelihood of coming into contact with someone who has been exposed to the bacteria.

Well done New Tradition...I am impressed.  You are either a doctor or have had a Staph Infection.

In high school, I had a Staph infection and what New Tradition stated above happened to me.  It looks like spider bite but continues to swell and grow until it becomes unbearably painful.  In addition, it usually accompanies dizziness, headaches and a lethargic feeling. 

I took oral antibiotics for 10 days and it resided.  Then it warped, so I went in to the hospital and took IV antibiotics for a couple of days along with oral antibiotics, but that could not slow it down.  Finally, after catching a double header and passing out, I thought it was probably a good idea to not be a tough guy and go to the hospital.  I was emitted for 10 days and they put me on IV antibiotics and ended up cutting each infection on my waistline (3 total) and inserting rubber tubes in them to drain the infections.  The doctor said it was caused by the dirt inside my sliding shorts rubbing against my skin forming abrasions and allowing bacteria to enter resulting in infections.   Anyway, I am fine today, but these infections are very serious and not to be messed with. 

I hope all the infected Redman get better soon.

BP,
I'm actually a history teacher.  Not bad, eh?  :) ;)  I have to give credit to my mom.  She is a nurse, so I learned a lot when I had MRSA my sophomore year.  It was in my left armpit and to date was the most painful thing that I have dealt with.  If I tried to lift my arm at all the pain was excruciating.  I ended up having it lanced and having drain tubes put in as well, and it felt so much better after they took all that pressure off.  The infection was actually cut in 2 by the crease in my armpit, so that is what caused all the pain.  One particular night before I had it lanced, though, I remember laying on my futon in my dorm room with 3 t-shirts, a hoodie, my winter coat, my sideline parka, and several blankets just shivering uncontrollably.  It was bad news for sure.  Sounds like your case was a bit worse, though, as I was not hospitalized.  Glad we both recovered, though.
P.S. Thanks for the karma boost.
P.P.S.  You never did answer my question last week.  Who did you play for, out of curiosity?

*Edited for grammar

This superbug has appeared in a High School Football team down here in Florida the next county over.  Scary stuff.  I too have had a staph infection but it was when I was much longer, but I don't remember anything fun, that's for sure. 

Best Wishes to those affected. 

Gregory Sager

Quote from: 79jaybird on October 16, 2007, 12:34:22 PMI am a big fan of North Park, and feel bad for them not being able to generate any wins in the conference.  I thought this would be the year they upset somebody and start to build on their CCIW mark, but gosh I don't see that happening after some of their games already.
I am running out of ideas and suggestions for them.  NPU is such a great academic institution and the neighborhood is safe/clean,  why so much trouble attracting good football talent?

I've been over this more than once, 79jb. Here it is again:

1. Losing begets losing. The longer a program has been down, the harder it is to turn things around -- especially when the losing is both epic and constant. NPU's last winning season was 1968; since then the Vikings have exactly one .500 CCIW season (4-4 in 1979) and one .500 overall season (4-4-1 in 1993) to show for their pains.

2. Related to #1, the NPU student attitude towards the football team is one of indifference mingled with contempt. None of the alumni under the age of 55 can remember a time when the football team actually mattered at North Park. The school's football team has always been the butt of jokes among Parkers (and I've made more than my fair share of those jokes myself). When I was in school, basketball players were the kings of the campus; football players were pariahs. Football games are not well attended by students, and they never have been for as long as I've been around (which is quite a while). Men's soccer is now the showcase program at NPU, and home soccer matches draw easily twice as many students as do home football games. To a Parker, "college football" means sitting around the TV on a Saturday afternoon with your dormmates watching Notre Dame vs. Boston College or Ohio State vs. Penn State.

3. The coaching carousel. Scott Pethtel is the seventh man to take the helm at North Park since Goose Anderson left 22 years ago. How can you build a program when the average head coaching tenure doesn't even last through a single four-year generation of students?

4. Attrition. NPU's football program has been notorious for bringing in hordes of freshmen every year ... only to have half or more of that freshman class evaporate once football season ends. Some of that has to do with bringing in too many student-athletes who couldn't succeed academically at North Park. Some of it has to do with bringing in too many football players who discover only after they've arrived that they are not comfortable with NPU's religious environment and dry campus. And much of it has to do with the frustration of losing big and losing often, and seeing the coaches who recruited them depart for greener pastures with depressing regularity. As a result, the program's sophomore, junior, and senior classes tend to be small ... which means that lots of freshmen are forced to play right away. And you don't win in the CCIW with a lineup dominated by freshmen. Hence, the vicious cycle continues.

5. Environment. Urban football has been in decline for many years now. The vast majority of the good and/or fundamentally schooled high school football players in Chicagoland are in the suburbs; and, as I've said numerous times before, a city-based school is a hard sell for many suburban kids who're looking at colleges.

6. Facilities. NPU's athletic facilities have lagged badly behind the rest of the league for as long as I can remember. The football field was beat-up and overused. The practice field was a chewed-up strip of land behind the fume-spewing bus barn across Foster Avenue from the stadium. And the weight room was a sad joke. The renovation of the athletic complex and the construction of Helwig Rec Center have turned the facilities issue around in a big way over the past three years, and a lot of the hope around NPU that the football program can be revived rests in that facilities improvement.

7. Alumni support. Until last year there was no support group of North Park football alumni who could drum up interest in the program and support it on the side. Much of that has to do with the mass defections every year that I spoke about in #4, and some of it has to do with the weariness of football alums whose memories of playing the sport at NPU aren't necessarily fond ones. Now, however, there is an active NPU football alumni support group, and it's hoped that this group will help make some headway in these areas.

8. Administrative apathy. NPU is an institution whose financial reserves are modest and whose budget is perpetually tight. Although the endowment has grown exponentially since David Horner took over the presidency in the dark times of the late '80s, NPU's annual budget is still largely tuition-driven, which is never a good situation for any institution of higher learning. The pie available to the athletic department has always been a small one, and the lack of success on the field as well as the high turnover rate among both coaches and student-athletes have meant that the football team hasn't really been high on anyone's priority list in Old Main. The football program was seen by the NPU braintrust as nothing more than a resource to bring in lots of warm bodies who pay tuition. That's starting to change somewhat, too, as the football program now has some strong advocates among the people who run the university.

Enough has changed over the past couple of years to make me think that NPU now has a shot at bringing the program up to at least the level of mediocrity over the next few years -- although no program exists in a vacuum, and NPU's success or lack thereof (like every other CCIW program's) is contingent upon the health of the other seven programs in the league. North Park now has very strong facilities; a good head coach who fits in well with the school's profile and mission, is getting a handle on whom (and how) he should be recruiting, and is committed to seeing things through over the long haul; the likelihood of some ongoing staff continuity; and better support from both the football alumni and the school administration.

But turning around a football program that has been so bad for so long is an enormous undertaking that requires a long-term commitment of resources and the patience to endure a slow and lengthy process. As I've said before, turning around a losing basketball program is like doing a U-turn in a pickup truck, while turning around a losing football program is like doing a U-turn in a fully-laden semi. It could take Scott Pethtel up to four years to see tangible results for his and his staff's efforts, and he's only midway through his second season.

Give him time, 79jb.
"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." ― G.K. Chesterton